Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Psion Citizen
Default Trade Routes: What are they good for?

The world creation rules on pg. 169 provide a thumbrule for drawing trade routes. I already updated my old gateway spreadsheet to use the MgT trade codes, so I figured I'd play with the trade route guidelines and see what pops out.

Well, it quickly became clear even examining just one subsector (Titanstorm, if anyone cares), the map would be scrawled all over with lines. So, it soon became clear to me that this wasn't a very functional mapmaking tool.

However, the exercise did give me a better picture of the economic shape of the subsector, which worlds would have influence and which wouldn't in this particular case, I could see that though Khimudire (B567A9A-C) is the obvious candidate for being the economic powerhouse of the subsector, due to positioning, Kimu seems to be more important along the biggest main in the coreward end of the subsector. However, this also made that end of the main seem like a bit of a backwater.

Looking through a few patterns like these, I got a better picture of what the subsector is like.

Anyone else tinker with the trade routes yet?

IMTU: ct+ mt++ tne-- t4- gt t20++(**) mongt++ ru ge+ 3i jt a pi+ st+ ls kk- hi+ so
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

saundby Citizen

I've used them to get some ideas, as you have. Mostly to get the sense of interactions and likely rivalries or conflicts of interest. I've also used them to mark out some trade routes that are well enough served by the megacorps that tramp traders don't stand a chance.
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psion View Post
However, the exercise did give me a better picture of the economic shape of the subsector, which worlds would have influence and which wouldn't in this particular case, I could see that though Khimudire (B567A9A-C) is the obvious candidate for being the economic powerhouse of the subsector, due to positioning, Kimu seems to be more important along the biggest main in the coreward end of the subsector.
You should read a thread in the Classic forum: http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=14705

This is all about look at subsector information and making assumptions on the economics and politics of the region based on what you find.

There's no dice rolling. It's just looking at what's out there and using logic and reason to create atmosphere.