Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
JohnMarsh Citizen
Default Re-reading Dune, Houses in Traveller

Clearly not houses as in a thing made out of brick but House as a ruling family of a planet / planets etc.
It seems that in a clearly feudal system like traveller there is scope for the various nobility of appropriate Soc to belong to one or another House which are maneuvering against each other for favour with the Emperor or even to be the Emperor. Has anyone thought this through for Traveller before? Are there any hints of this in the OTU?
Thanks
John
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Some fair and close comparatives to the Traveller's MegaCorp families have been made in the past. I seem to recall the discussion raised again not long. Might have been on the SJG Forums.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

The Houses in Dune are quite powerful. I'd call it a strong fuedal culture.

Traveller's culture has always struck me as a soft fuedal culture. It's there, but it also makes room for world governments of many types. And, when politicians from these worlds move out into the void, away from their homeworld, their beliefs probably dirty the water that binds the Imperium together.

Take a politician from a democratic world. Once elected to be that world's representative to go before the sector Duke, he probably takes on a title of Baron as required by Imperial fuedal law. I can see that Barony be only a title on that world--not a traditional Baron at all--with the title being formally bestowed upon the next person to take the office when the term expires.

There's probably all sorts of these types of hybrids in the Traveller universe--the melding of local and insterstellar policitcs.

It's quite facinating to consider, really.

Come to think of it, there's probably the reverse of what I've said above too. A world with a strong fuedal society like that shown in Dune. The world's leader is a king. But, under Imperial law, his title is that of Baron.

"Welcome his majesty, King Froopiad, lord of the seven pillars, baron of Argus, holder of the sacred crown, knight of the four paws."

This person is probably quite baffled or frustrated at the loose fuedal culture that the Imperium must have to accomodate all the different world governments.

It also indicates that the "loose-ness" of this Imperial fuedal culture becomes more rigid the higher one climbs the ladder. I would not be surprised if the relationship between the dukes, archdukes, and the emperor are not unlike what is shown in Dune at all. While, at the lower levels, those nobles are more "watered down" with people that hail from varied political systems.

As I said above, it's a facinating thing to contemplate.
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Count

Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+

I’ve never thought of the 3I as homogenous. At the periphery (like the Spinward Marches) great noble houses are rarely important, but in the central reasons (especially on Capitol) such structures and heavy politicking are part of daily life.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Qstor2 Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Qstor2

If you're interested in adding this to your game, I'd really suggest getting GT Nobles. It's well written and doesn't have a lot of GURPS rules so its easy to add to your game.

It might be easy to add to an area of space with small states. Each house could control various systems. The game Fading Suns uses this as one basis for the game. Its obvious that Dune was a module one of the houses strongly resembles House Harkonnen.

Mike
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Can anyone suggest a good set of rules to simulate merchanically this sort of political intrigue?

Most political games (including Traveller Pocket Empires) give one party to each player and the intrigue isn't mechanically simulated, it's role-played between the players.

That's fine, but it doesn't work for a solo game. I'd like to find a rule set that decides matters of intrigue by roll-play instead of role-play. Does GT Nobles do this?
Old January 25th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Check out Jihad, the burning wheel derived Dune clone
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Jihad focuses on the jihad itself, not so much the house-to-house politics. (Tho' any of the three BWHQ games could handle it well.)

If you're looking for solo-play, good *ing luck...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Imperial Planetologist Citizen

Judges Guild's Ley Sector includes a few offhand references to noble houses. One of them is House M'lar, I believe.

"The current version of Traveller is whatever people currently play. It's gamers that define what's current, not publishers." - Rhialto the Marvelous

"The only time Traveller canon is rigid is when people either want it to be to bash it or can't fill the short descriptions given by the game with life." - mbrinkhues
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

DElrick Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
Can anyone suggest a good set of rules to simulate merchanically this sort of political intrigue?

Most political games (including Traveller Pocket Empires) give one party to each player and the intrigue isn't mechanically simulated, it's role-played between the players.

That's fine, but it doesn't work for a solo game. I'd like to find a rule set that decides matters of intrigue by roll-play instead of role-play. Does GT Nobles do this?
I wrote some political influence rules which appeared in Milieu 0.