Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen

I wouldn't say definitive but they are pretty good. I really need to test it but it looks like fighters are now true battle winners without being overpowered. I can see room for some alternate non-Traveller tech in there but some other stuff but it is nice.

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChilde View Post
While I have come to generally respect your oppinion in several other forums here on many topics, MGT isn't one of them. I do not think they could produce anything that would meet your apparently impossible to achieve level of quality. Perfection would fall short.
I do demand perfection, but I think that's a "good" quality!

Hey! I haven't said one bad thing about High Guard. In fact, what I have said is positive and hopeful.

I keep watching MGT because it's close to CT. If they produce a good book, I'll buy it and use it for CT.

I like the 3D deckplans, that's a nice touch.

I like what Border has said about making fighters useful without making them overpowered.

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. If MGT is good, I admit it. If its crap, I'll call it crap.

I have no agenda against Mongoose. And, in fact, I do hope they pull it out and turn Traveller into a good line.

If they do, I'll start singing their praises.

So far....from what little I've heard about it, High Guard sounds...like it will be the first good supplement Mongoose has published.

Jury is still out. Need more facts.
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Border Reiver Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgurk View Post
cool
look forward to getting some money together if poss
and buying a copy

Hey Reiver, you should really get into Black Lion to pick yours up,heh,heh
support your local FLGS:.)

Alan

Oh, are you coming to COnpulsion09, heres hoping you can make it
50 miles is pretty local I suppose. I shop at Black Lion when I can, it usually involves pulling up outside in the ambulance, running inside and grabbing a few things, exchange a couple of words with Lucy or Liam and then scream away with blue lights flashing. I'll be tossing a coin. Conpulsion or Eastercon? They are usually the same weekend.

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Qstor2 Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Qstor2

One of the things that puzzled me, (I'm not much of a gearhead) is the different descriptions for bridges. I didn't see the difference between a cockpit and other bridges in High Guard or the main book. The main book only had one bridge.

I was trying to write up the Pytheas scout ship from GT First In p.41 into MGT and got stuck.

Mike
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
Swiftbrook Citizen

I was looking at the preview of High Guard on the Mongoose site:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pd...b24be0089174d5

Just wondering, are the deck plans at a much better resolution in the print version?

-Swiftbrook
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Border Reiver Citizen

Yeah, a lot clearer but the details are tiny still on the capital ships. Just not fuzzy like in the preview.

Old November 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstor2 View Post
One of the things that puzzled me, (I'm not much of a gearhead) is the different descriptions for bridges. I didn't see the difference between a cockpit and other bridges in High Guard or the main book. The main book only had one bridge.

I was trying to write up the Pytheas scout ship from GT First In p.41 into MGT and got stuck.

Mike
Cockpit = driver's seat in a car - sitting only and intended for short durations.

Bridge = driver's seat in a motor home - able to stand up and walk around and intended for long durations.

In other versions of Traveller, Cockpits are for small craft and Bridges are for Starships.

MGT specific differences, someone else will need to explain.
Old November 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Plankowner Citizen

There are some print issues with the book that will take a bit of sorting out. Many of the page references to other sections are missing (they have "See page XXX") and the font changes in several sections of the book.

If I were you, I would wait about a month until the second printing where Mongoose has said they will fix all this stuff. If you bought one of the earlier books (like I did) they will replace it (which I am going to have them do).

One difference from CT and the old HG is that small craft can exceed 6gs. It is possible to have a 30 ton ship with 16gs using their tables.
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Gallery : 2
Theophilus Citizen

All, right, I've Never purchased a MGT product so I have no Opinions, Never even saw one, so, that being said,

Give me a quick description:

Is it more like CT. MT. TNE. GT?
How does the ship design sequence work, CT. MT. TNE. GT?

I pulled up the pdf preview and I didn't like the sloan image, are they all like that?

Will fighting ships be similiar?

Do I need High guard before I get fighting ships?
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

It is closest to CT in both look and tone. It's about as distant from CT as MT is, but in different areas and ways.

Ship Design is derived closely from Bk2. There are some significant differences, but most Bk2 designs will come across with room to spare.

Mongoose has said every ship gets a deckplan; the core book deckplans were bogus (done with wrong volumes), and the ships were not vetted either, so the PDF of them is the real designs and deckplans. Mongoose has not responded to requests for vector rather than bitmap versions in the PDF, and the DPI is relatively low; blowing them up will result in severe jaggies.

Overall, it's scope is similar to CT's The Traveller Book as far as the core rules.
T&C and CGen are both generally considered to be improved from CT basic; Tasks are not congruent with MT/TNE/T4, but are close enough for cross system use. (That is, there are enough datapoints to make a conversion with MT, and from there, to TNE and/or T4 task systems).

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.