Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 4th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Sorry S4 but the changing to the language in the revised editions predates the skill cap idea by a couple of years.
I know, but that doesn't mean they didn't make the Automatic Skills change first, followed by the Experience Limit a couple of years later.

Quote:
lso in revised edition (copyright 1981) scouts are given more skills than in 1st edition - not something you do if you are limiting skills.
They also have the low survival rate, and the game designers were expecting people to use the Survival Rule as it was intended.

This means that any suriving player character Scout will probably only have one or two terms--going longer usually means death. The two skills per term brings them up to par with the other characters who had an easier go at Survival and ended up with more skills because they stayed in the career longer.

A two-term Scout gets 4 skills, not couting extras, buy getting 2 on each term. A three-term Merchant gets 4 skills, not counting extras, by getting 2 on the first term and 1 each on terms two and three.

Make sense?

Quote:
MT went as far as to grant basic characters even more skill role chances per term, so the designers intent was to raise the skill total of basic characters to match those of advanced.
MT, as you know was written by different people (DGP instead of GDW). And, they carried over the Experience Limit to use with that game. And, read the section on Automatic Skills where its says the character gets "that skill"....again, this could easily be read as "that specific skill at that specific level".

Quote:
Finally if you check 1001 Characters you can find 1 term characters with lvl2 in automatic skills.
Why is this a point? So, a character joins the Army, automatically getting Rifle-1 from the Automatic Skills list. Then, he gets two skills for his first term, rolling Gun Combat once. The character decides to raise Rifle-1 to Rifle-2. The second skill would be some other skill. Do that, and what I'm suggesting is still valid.

Last edited by Supplement Four; November 4th, 2008 at 02:39 AM..
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Gruffty's Blog
Gruffty Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Yes I saw that, but it doesn't answer the question of is the rank skill an add or just a skill-1 total. IF the example had given him Pilot-1 (rolled as skill) before his promotion to 1st Officer then it would have answered the question, either by bumping or not his Pilot-1 to Pilot-2.
Right, I understand what you mean.

I brought this aspect up because it's relevant to both CT and MGT (and even MT) so I thought I'd get some clarity on it here.

However, it seems there is no clarity to be had (well not yet, anyway! ).
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Has anyone thought of firing off an e-mail to Loren Wiseman on this subject?

EDIT: I just did. I'll let you know if I get a reply any time soon.

Allen

Last edited by Allensh; November 4th, 2008 at 08:17 AM..
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
Has anyone thought of firing off an e-mail to Loren Wiseman on this subject?
"I fear the great old ones too much to casually pester them with mere mortal concerns

Besides, the few times I have attempted to communicate with the gods of creation outside of their temples I've had little luck getting an answer."

Which is my way of saying, no it didn't occur to me, but then I think it's something they don't need to be bothered about and may not recall anyway. As well they have their own differences in how the rules are meant to be applied (as they should, and so should we all, can I get a "so should we all"? Louder people, with more conviction! "SO SHOULD WE ALL!" ).

And to be sure I have had some communication one-on-One and it was good, but I have also had some go unanswered. Busy people the old gods are, best not to pester them repeatedly

But I hope you get an answer and will be interested in what it is. Not that it will likely change my mind, but it might.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Why is this a point? So, a character joins the Army, automatically getting Rifle-1 from the Automatic Skills list. Then, he gets two skills for his first term, rolling Gun Combat once. The character decides to raise Rifle-1 to Rifle-2. The second skill would be some other skill. Do that, and what I'm suggesting is still valid.
It's not the army career characters I would use as an example, look at some of the 1 term marines, only way to have cutlass 2 after 1 term in the marines after failing commission and promotion is to have the cutlass automatic and a cutlass roll on the table.

There are other examples too.
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Apparently, as seen in the other thread in the CT section, this issue has been resolved.

On to more important things...like how many Hivers can dance on the head of a pin

Allen
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Whatever number they tell you, you are going to believe it was your answer anyway...