Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old September 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Gallowglacht Citizen

Um, I did read a friends one, and it was me that mentioned the shelves full of OK games.
I still have no desire to own it. (are you mixing me up with someone? I'd say yours was a general comment, only you quoted me*)
But yeah, I'd agree that everyone should give it a lookover.

*see already, I'm confused. At least theres no train wreck yet, he says, tempting fate.
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallowglacht Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
I find OR to be the operative word of late. It should be possible to discuss the good AND bad of any game.

For example, I like CT LBB5: High Guard for starship design and I find CT:LBB2 too limiting and MegaTraveller too complex, but I could easily understand how other people could prefer the simplicity of LBB2 or the detail of Megatraveller. I could also discuss the limitations and advantages of any of the systems.

This is not what I typically see with MGT, where the Posts usually end up as and endless series of negative comments on what each person finds wrong with it and virtually no discussion on what actually seems to work well.

I have never seen anyone else mention the greater spread of damages in 'Heavy Weapons' that make weapon choices more 'right tool for the job' oriented than LBB4:Mercenary (which was more like 'the best tool available at that TL'). It was only when the Ref in the PbP game on COTI posted the list so my Merc could select a Heavy Weapon that I saw what MGT had done - and recognized that it WAS better than CT in that area.

A balanced diagogue requires the identification of strengths as well as weaknesses "It leaves me cold" is not a promising title for an open discussion - more like an invitation to a negative-fest.
Ah, yes, good and bad, thats what I should have said. Cold is at least an improvement on whats wrong with/ what you dislike etc. But, yeah maybe I'm being a bit naieve that this won't go down the toilet, but doesn't being overly cautious and waiting for it to happen leave a dark cloud of tension, waiting to burst on the first mistype? Sort of a self fulfilling prophesy type thing?

For example, I did say good OR bad, and say I'm not interested in it, but thats just honesty, not trying to slip a crack at it under the radar. Maybe I'm misinterpreting though. I took Cold to be neutral, no passion either way, but I can see the negitive angle now that you mention it.
Just got a new kitten. Perhaps that gave me a momentary lapse into hippy-like positive vybes.

I hope I haven't chucked fuel on a fire, really wasn't my intent...
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
Um, I did read a friends one, and it was me that mentioned the shelves full of OK games.
I still have no desire to own it. (are you mixing me up with someone? I'd say yours was a general comment, only you quoted me
Yeah, sorry about that. I corrected the post to properly quote you.
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Rawlins Citizen

I like the basic die rolling mechanic and the basic skill list from MGT. I also like the fact that the system is similar enough to both CT and MT that it is fairly easy to replace the parts I don't like with systems from CT and MT.
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
Ah, yes, good and bad, thats what I should have said.

I hope I haven't chucked fuel on a fire, really wasn't my intent...
YOUR motives and meaning were perfectly clear and above board. There is little fuel to be added to the old fire that wasn't already there, so don't sweat it.

I just wanted to invite a little more credit where it might be due, but frankly even saying 'Version XYZ is a complete load of crap; don't buy it' is probably permitted under COTI policy, since it is not a personal attack.

I find it personally hard to buy any new version of something that I already have - it just rubs against my grain - so MGT has a hard sell with me from the start. So far I haven't seen the 'killer application' that makes MGT a must have for me, but I am more interested in Starship design anyway, so the real test is MGT:High Guard.

Last edited by atpollard; September 21st, 2008 at 10:57 AM..
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ThunderChilde Citizen
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChilde Send a message via Yahoo to ThunderChilde

In keeping with the spirit of the discussion and being too new to the boards to have seen the flamewar that came before, here goes.

MGT is my Traveller of choice for now. My LBB's were the victims of a flood, along with an awful lot of my gaming treasures going back to the mid seventies. I never really took a shine to Mega, and TNE left me out in the cold.

I now wait with baited breath for High Gaurd before I kick off my first campaign in 20 years. I'll wind down my current CP2020 game when I am ready for Traveller.

General thanks and kuddos to one and all, COTI is an awesome resource.

There I was surrounded by friends, alone with my dice, when suddenly.....

If you're going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Unapologetic supporter of MGT, warts and all.

A computer once beat me at Chess, but it was no match for me at Kick Boxing
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM

Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlins View Post
I like the basic die rolling mechanic and the basic skill list from MGT.
basic die rolling mechanic
It is 2D6 roll 8+ at it's core, right? What have they added to that that you like?
I like the softened attribute modifiers that keep average abilities from granting bonuses and high abilities from granting excessive bonuses.

basic skill list
From what I saw, it is comparable in size/scope to MegaTraveller.
Was there anything specific that stands out to you?
For example, I really liked the MegaTraveller change in Chargen (vs Classic Traveller) from rolling a specific skill to rolling a cascade of skills. This maintained some randomness to skill generation while giving the player some control over the specific skills received.

Did MGT fix Navigation skill? Nav-3 has tended to represent two wasted skills in most versions of Traveller.

(I'm not looking to challenge your opinions, I just wonder what you saw.)
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

gcbright Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
[I]<Pulls the new guy aside to the edge of the alley>

"Shhh! You're new around here so I'll tell ya. We had a riot in here a few weeks ago, and it wasn't pretty. A couple of people went... missing. If you know what I mean. You don't know about MCP."
No need for a flame war on versions of Traveller. Just accept the universal truth. Traveller is like James Bond. People tend to like the first version they see better than anything that comes after it.

That's not say the LBB people can't enjoy the MegaTraveller stuff, just that the LBBs will always be their favorite.

Thanks
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen

I guess I will be putting on my parka, as I make two more characters for two online games that people are starting using MGT as the base.

One is with players I have never heard of before, which is great, and it is a voice chat game, which is incredible. The second seems to be a Merc game, which I am looking forward to, as it has been a long time since I ran a Merc.

This makes for a total of five characters so far that use the MGT system. Two are active, in games now, and one is dormant on the Mongoose board, waiting for the game to start.

As for the pricetag, I myself was a bit taken aback by 40.00 at first, but then I remembered today's economy, and the exchange rates. I also remembered how much T20's core book cost. I am like you, I am used to game products being cheap. It makes a lot more economic sense as a hobby than having a 1914 Bugatti project car in the garage, as tbeard suggests.

Without going into too much Pulpit ready detail, it should't be the game company that is blamed for high costs in US dollars. You should see the cost of Flour.

"Mongoose compliance Police" Pfft. This notion is preposterous. I'm sure that the people involved in that disgusting episode the other week know that its not about that. Nor was it about "hippy good feelings." All of the locked out threads are still readable, so now its possible to go back and objectively look at what is up with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM

Visit atpollard's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Saarthuran View Post
Nor was it about "hippy good feelings."
Dude, don't bring me down with all the negative energy. I like new little kitty good vibes.