Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Gallery : 0
Mytholder Citizen

I'll update the characteristic description; it is confusing.
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

tbeard1999 Citizen

[QUOTE=gbooth;242324]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post

It appears that I was not right. But one could judge how well or quickly a task is completed based upon the margin of sucess.

Tom
The mechanic is still overly fussy and of dubious benefit in my opinion. Worse, the combat system seems especially unfriendly to the kinds of combats I like to run in my games. I like to have fairly large firefights with hordes of bad guys (or bugs) and the idea of having to fiddle with multiple idiotic initiative dice makes my stomach churn. The "group them into squads) fix is still mechanically tedious. There's also a great deal of wasted motion in the combat system, fiddling with "ticks", etc. While the combat system may "work", it doesn't work particularly well. To put it another way, there are already plenty of obtuse, fiddly combat systems out there. We really don't require another one.

Nor am I able to understand how a rational game designer could set the survival rolls at 8+ for 1/3 of the military vocations. A 7% chance of surviving 4 terms in 1/3 of the military vocations is silly IMHO. In fact, the designer seems to have gone to a lot of effort to discourage any kind of macho career options. Or, he didn't bother to actually do the math. Either option fails to fill me with much confidence.

The apparent damage mechanic is also a step back. Can't be sure until I see actual weapon and armor stats, but it appears that armor simply absorbs damage. That's a poor choice to model weapon penetration as it uses the same value for damage and penetration. GURPS has already exhausted the list of available fiddly fixes for this problem, and presumably T5 will mirror some of them. Oh joy...

--Ty
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:10 PM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablewyvern View Post
I've seen a lot of people who had problems with the combat system who, upon actually running combats, found things flowed quite smoothly. While mileages will vary, the impression I get is that Timing and Effect work well in combat.

For other situations, I would only make use of Timing and Effect in time-critical tasks. Most of the time, a simple success/failure will suffice, or you can just take the high roll as a MoS; T&E thus becomes a tool to be used only when you want finer detail.

(All from the perspective of someone who hasn't actually played the game yet.)
The playtest rules don't have weapon or armor stats, so how were they able to run actual combats?

--Ty
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Since Gar posted a few sample stats on the Mongoose Forums... the same day the draft was released.

Oh, and draft 2 is up, and includes many more armors, weapons, and combat data.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
The playtest rules don't have weapon or armor stats, so how were they able to run actual combats?

--Ty
They provided some provisional stats on the Mongoose forum.

And the version 2.0 playtest doc does have equipment in it now, including weapons and armor.

CT did not have armor penetration rules and these things add complexity that the game simply does not need. I am sure more advanced rules for those things will appear later..like maybe in an equipment book or the Mercenary book.

I have run LARGE scale combats with the system. Using the squad rules it was NOT tedious, and it did move quickly, at least as quickly as D&D 3.5 and actually a lot quicker. This is practical experience, as in, I have actually done it.

Allen
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Actually, tbeard, I'm surprised they survival rolls are so low for the military options - IOW, that the survival rate is so high. Even taking death out of the equation, and making survival solely determine continuance in the career, 7% is a pretty decent chance to become a "lifer".
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

I had high hopes for Mongoose Traveller. They did such a fantastic job on Conan.

But, alas, I think I'll have to agree with some of the OP. The current download rules on the Mongoose site just aren't "doing it" for me.

It looks a lot like ACT, and I didn't like ACT at all.

Unless something more earthshaking comes my way (I'll still look at T5), it looks like it's still CT for me, folks.
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

travlar Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
Actually, tbeard, I'm surprised they survival rolls are so low for the military options - IOW, that the survival rate is so high. Even taking death out of the equation, and making survival solely determine continuance in the career, 7% is a pretty decent chance to become a "lifer".
Ecept if there isn't much fighting going on. But whether the chance is realistic or not, a 7% to make it past four terms is going to make the careers relatively hard to get many skills in.
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlar View Post
Ecept if there isn't much fighting going on. But whether the chance is realistic or not, a 7% to make it past four terms is going to make the careers relatively hard to get many skills in.
The point is to encourage an end to chargen, and begin adventuring.

I'm not gonna run the numbers to confirm, but 7% retention after 16 years ? How far off is that in today's US military ? Not very, I imagine.

-Cap
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJP View Post
I had high hopes for Mongoose Traveller. They did such a fantastic job on Conan.

But, alas, I think I'll have to agree with some of the OP. The current download rules on the Mongoose site just aren't "doing it" for me.

It looks a lot like ACT, and I didn't like ACT at all.

Unless something more earthshaking comes my way (I'll still look at T5), it looks like it's still CT for me, folks.
I may regret asking this, but what did you expect ?

Ah well. At least you love CT. That makes you a good person.