Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
sablewyvern Citizen

I've seen a lot of people who had problems with the combat system who, upon actually running combats, found things flowed quite smoothly. While mileages will vary, the impression I get is that Timing and Effect work well in combat.

For other situations, I would only make use of Timing and Effect in time-critical tasks. Most of the time, a simple success/failure will suffice, or you can just take the high roll as a MoS; T&E thus becomes a tool to be used only when you want finer detail.

(All from the perspective of someone who hasn't actually played the game yet.)
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

We tried point buy characters after Thanksgiving dinner, and a little bit of a start RPing.

The task system so far has been quite well recieved.

We're all VERY leary of the damage system, tho. We're mostly grogs, and the damage system using only one stat REALLY bugs several of us before play.

CT and MT, damage directly affected your stats, and a character with no End to speak of couls still soak some damage if he was high-dex or high-Strength.

Take Zippy the Medic: CF3A84 Medical 4, Pistol 2, Steward 1...
In CT, he could be dropped by a single shot, but was unlikely to die from anything less than a heavy rifle.
In MT, he's even tougher, but will probably need medical attention EVERY fight.
In TNE, he's pretty midling, since several locations are con-based, but he's not entirely toasted by that low con, since Chest location is STR+CON IIRC.
T4 is CTish that way....

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:22 AM

sablewyvern Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
We're all VERY leary of the damage system, tho. We're mostly grogs, and the damage system using only one stat REALLY bugs several of us before play.

CT and MT, damage directly affected your stats, and a character with no End to speak of couls still soak some damage if he was high-dex or high-Strength.
I've only played TNE, and that was so long ago I can't recall how damage worked, but...

Damage in MoTrav goes to END first, then STR or DEX, then the other of STR or DEX.

Going to 0 End means you are wounded (unconscious if you lose it all in one shot), and going to 0 End + 0 Str OR 0 Dex means you are unconscious.

That sounds a lot like the way you present the CT system working, in effect.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Mytholder Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
We tried point buy characters after Thanksgiving dinner, and a little bit of a start RPing.

The task system so far has been quite well recieved.

Reread the combat chapter - it uses all three stats, like CT.

Last edited by Mytholder; November 23rd, 2007 at 08:27 AM..
Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablewyvern View Post
...That sounds a lot like the way you present the CT system working, in effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytholder View Post
...Reread the combat chapter - it uses all three stats, like CT.
Except that the point (for the Doc above and other END lightweights) is that in RTT the first stat affected is always END while in CT it is random. So the Doc is out on the first hit (almost always) in RTT while in CT he has a 2 in 3 chance of standing long in any fight because he is both Strong and Dexterous.

Not saying it makes more sense or one is better, just pointing out the difference, that the two are not at all the same.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012

Last edited by far-trader; November 23rd, 2007 at 09:43 AM..
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytholder View Post
Reread the combat chapter - it uses all three stats, like CT.

It does use all three stats. what I think is the issue for some here is that it always uses Endurance first. In CT, you rolled randomly to determine what stat is affected first (I think; maybe you just chose).

I have no problem at all with the idea of using Endurance first. In fact, I wish Traveller had a Lifeblood stat derived from the three stats but not even related to them personally...but this system works fine as is, with one caveat; I would ditch the "if he's reduced to 0 Endurance he's unconscious" bit and instittute instead a -2DM for actions while wounded.

Allen

Last edited by Allensh; November 23rd, 2007 at 10:31 AM..
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
It does use all three stats. what I think is the issue for some here is that it always uses Endurance first. In CT, you rolled randomly to determine what stat is affected first (I think; maybe you just chose).

I have no problem at all with the idea of using Endurance first. In fact, I wish Traveller had a Lifeblood stat derived from the three stats but not even related to them personally...but this system works fine as is, with one caveat; I would ditch the "if he's reduced to 0 Endurance he's unconscious" bit and instittute instead a -2DM for actions while wounded.

Allen
In CT, you only rolled randomly for effected stat if this was the first wound of the encounter- the first shot/blood rule. Thereafter, the victim could allocate the damage (by dice, IIRC). Also, the damage from the second shot didn't roll over to a new stat - if you applied a 6 dam dice to a 1 stat, you went to 0 (w/. consequences) and the extra 5 points went away. On the first shot, it all had to be allocated.

So, no.... it isn't much different. You have a set vulnerability on the first shot, which may or be more realistic, and there's less player choice ("ah ha ! shot me in the STR again" says Mongo, "no prob !") which might be more realistic.

-Cap
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

[QUOTE=gbooth;242324]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post

I hadn't considered that, but you're right. It's also a fussy and vexatious mechanic that adds very little to the game, but does manage to take time and energy.

--Ty
It appears that I was not right. But one could judge how well or quickly a task is completed based upon the margin of sucess.

Tom
To be honest, the above , and the misreading inspired complaints about the combat system (damage) makes me wonder if y'all are reading very closely before posting criticisms. Seriously, I know you are leery of this (as am I), but it at least it seems to deserve a more thoughtful read thru , and not just what seems to be jumping on the first perceived problem and posting it. If nothing else, it sure as heck deflates the value of later comments you may make...(not in MY eyes, obviously you are all Netgods in my book ) but its easy to dismiss even thoughtful comments from people who have a past history of complaining about rules which they haven't seem to have read.

My 2Cr, and not to be seen as a personal attack on anyone,please. Just some advice about critical writing.

-Cap
Old November 24th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I hadn't read the second draft fully yet. I had read the first, and the attribute definitions made it clear in draft 1.0 that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft 1.0
Endurance: A character’s ability to sustain damage, stamina and determination. How much damage a character can sustain
is based on his Endurance score, so a character with a low Endurance score will be very vulnerable in a firefight.
Draft 2 reads exactly the same.

That the combat chapter contradicts this is something that needs to be pointed out. Which I'll do when I next send in a report.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Gotta love playtesting. Takes patience and focus to stay on track.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.