Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > Citizens' Information Centre

Citizens' Information Centre COTI news, feedback, and problem reports

Old July 30th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 0
Visit FreeTrav's Blog
FreeTrav Citizen
Exclamation Why is the board forgetting ALL my unreads when I compose a reply to one message?

This has been a long-term problem; I'm finally exasperated enough to complain about it.

When the server/board software thinks that my connection has been idle for about ten minutes, it seems to decide that I've disconnected without logging out and marks everything read. This means that I simply CANNOT keep up with everything unless I open up a separate window for every message I might want to respond to, finish reading the unread messages on the board, and then come back to compose responses - because I can easily take ten or fifteen minutes to compose, review, and edit a response that requires significant thought or exposition.

I do not have this problem with the free forums at SJGames, which are also using vBulletin. At SJGames, it appears that marking-read only happens when I actually read the messages, or explicitly mark the forum read.

PLEASE fix this to operate the way the SJGames vBulletin does, or permit members to use programs such as ForumPilot to access the board in 'offline' mode, where messages get downloaded in bulk, read offline, responses composed offline, and then responses uploaded. At the very least, make the timeout period much higher, say 24 hours.
(formerly posting as jzeitlin)

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.