Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old July 28th, 2001, 01:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
Maud'dib Citizen
Question

Hey, hi there.
I'm not exactly a newcomer to Traveller .... but I'm interested in finding a version of Traveller that will fit my needs.
Let me explain:
Currently I own a copy of T4 that I purchased about 5-6 years ago. I was quite intrigued by Traveller's reappearance (at that time) and planned to purchase a number of the supplements, with the goal of pursuing Traveller roleplaying actively. Unfortunately, it failed to meet my expectations. The core book painted a picture of a very retro, 'white-bread', Space Opera Rpg that I could really find no connection with. The supplements were like bizarre engineering manuals.... barely coherent and visually nauseating. Suffice to say, T4 was tossed on my bookshelf and ignored.
Many years prior I had a copy of Megatraveller... but I recall not being very impressed with it as well.... and it 'disappeared' sometime within the past decade.

What I'm looking for is a fairly 'generic', accessible SF rpg that will allow me to easily present games from either a Hard or Soft SF standpoint. I'm not really interested in utilizing Traveller's pre-conceived setting.... too Space Opera for me... (kind of an odd mixture of 'uplifted' aliens and Dune, IMO). But rather just a 'tool' to present a variety of settings with ease.
I'm also not motivated to purchase the GURPS version of Traveller. I'm familiar with the system and find it too detail-oriented for my tastes.
Are there any recommendations or insight that anyone could provide?
Thanks.
Old July 28th, 2001, 04:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Secrect Cow Level Citizen
I'd guess you would like CT as the core rules themselves are setting indepandant and the rules cover most sci fi concerns reasonably well. Also, the rules are simple and easy to use and apply. And if that were not enough, it's easy to add and adapt ideas and items into your game.

Old July 28th, 2001, 10:20 AM

phydaux Citizen
personaly, i'm a detail guy, so i love GURPS Traveller. i'd have to say that CT is the total other end of the spectrum.

from what you say, i'd go with CT from the reprints. use books 1-3 and roll in the BITS "Task System". that will cover char gen, combat and "doing things". you can use those very basic rules to cover any sci fi setting.

if you're going to roll your own universe i would recomend you pick up GURPS Space. the book is system indipendent and covers all the topics you will need to concider when creating your own campaign universe.
Old July 28th, 2001, 10:24 AM

phydaux Citizen
by the way, you say you're not keen on the Dune-ish nature of the Traveller universe, but you list your name as Maud'dib?

what gives? (grin)
Old July 28th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Maud'dib Citizen
>>"by the way, you say you're not keen on the Dune-ish nature of the Traveller universe, but you list your name as Maud'dib?
what gives? (grin)"
<<

I just find the combination to be a little odd. Perhaps I'm too much of a Dune purist... but there's a few SF Rpgs that seem to snatch liberally from Herbert's world (such as Fading Suns), that I find it rather irritatingly unoriginal. Why settle for an imitator when you can explore the original?

I hate to say it.... (I wouldn't want to be inflammatory on these boards)... but Traveller's extensively defined universe seems like a blah knock-off of some of the popular works in SF. Dune, Star Trek, and Star Wars come to mind. And if I want those features in a SF Rpg, I'd prefer to present them independently than take snippets from each for an odd kind of hodge-podge.

I'm just a snob.

Old July 28th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Artikid Citizen
Actually I always thought Traveller was inspirde more by Asimov's Foundation and by Larry Niven... well ok the Psionic Suppressions remind me more of the Empire trying to exterminate the Jedi Knights but the Psionic Institute isn't that Jedi-like
Old July 29th, 2001, 02:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

FlightCommanderSolitude Citizen
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Perhaps I'm too much of a Dune purist...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Dune purist who misspells Muad-Dib's name?!

While I might concede the influence of Dune on the OTU, ST and SW definitely do NOT come to mind.

At any rate, I would definitely consider the CT rules if you're a referee who's comfortable with fewer details, simpler systems, and some improvisation. (Consider your players as well - the best campaign I ever played OR refereed was a series of Cthulhu adventures with two friends who had never really played RPG's: I ignored the rules, fudged every die roll, made just about everything up as the game progressed, and scared everyone's pants off everytime we played!)

(Well, their pants didn't actualy come off.)

(Anyways.)

The upcoming T20 might also be another good system to use, especially if you and your players are familiar with DnD3E.

-FCS

Old July 29th, 2001, 02:25 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen
Dune influence in the OTU?

Dunno, I don't see it. Maybe I am missing something.

Star Wars *possibly* I could concede has some influence, but not Star Trek.

Foundation and Asimov very much I see the influence. I also see a good bit of influence from Imperial Rome.

Hunter

[This message has been edited by hunter (edited 29 July 2001).]
Old July 29th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunter:
Dune influence in the OTU?

Star Wars *possibly* I could concede has some influence, but not Star Trek.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering Marc took the entire staff of GDW to see the film for "Research Purposes" and more than once, I'd say the Star Wars influence is a strong probability.

Both Frank Chadwick and Loren Wiseman had a strong interest and background in history. So if you are looking for real influences, read up on the 17th/18th century British empire and the Roman empire.
Old July 30th, 2001, 08:00 PM

TJP Citizen
As Artikid said, Larry Niven's influence is evident in OTU. Especially his book with Jerry Pournelle "The Mote in God's Eye." The Langston Field is the black globe, the Moties sort of the Droyne, and there is the Empire of Man...

I quess for anyone who saw Star Wars way back when it was new, sci-fi never was quite the same anymore (for better or worse).

I wouldn't call OTU strictly soft SF (or space opera), though. Granted, it's not hard SF either, but it's a long way away from the Star Wars/Trek kind of SF. At least most of the gear in Traveller has its basics in real science.