Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old March 9th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
I've forgotten them, or don't know them, or they're not there.

Ordinary ships can track bogeys up to six light-seconds away, after an initial lock. Is that correct?

Well, what's the maximum detection range?

How about for ship's boats?

How about for initial detection, rather than tracking?
Tools Link
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
I've forgotten them, or don't know them, or they're not there.

Ordinary ships can track bogeys up to six light-seconds away, after an initial lock. Is that correct?

Well, what's the maximum detection range?

How about for ship's boats?

How about for initial detection, rather than tracking?
Tools Link
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Black Globe Generator

Gallery :
LBB 2, page 32: sensor range for commercial and private starships is one-half light-second - sensor range for scout and military starships is two light-seconds. Starships maintaining "complete silence"* can only be detected at one-half range (e.g., one-quarter light-second for a merchant ship); ships in orbit and "silent" can only be detected at one-eighth range.

Once a ship has been detected, it can be tracked by any starship at ranges of up to three light-seconds.

Edit: I believe the same holds true for ship's boats as well - I didn't see anything to the contrary.

* Presumably "complete silence" in this case refers to running in a very low- or no-power mode, given that in space, no one can hear you scream...or anything else, for that matter.
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Black Globe Generator

Gallery :
LBB 2, page 32: sensor range for commercial and private starships is one-half light-second - sensor range for scout and military starships is two light-seconds. Starships maintaining "complete silence"* can only be detected at one-half range (e.g., one-quarter light-second for a merchant ship); ships in orbit and "silent" can only be detected at one-eighth range.

Once a ship has been detected, it can be tracked by any starship at ranges of up to three light-seconds.

Edit: I believe the same holds true for ship's boats as well - I didn't see anything to the contrary.

* Presumably "complete silence" in this case refers to running in a very low- or no-power mode, given that in space, no one can hear you scream...or anything else, for that matter.
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Note that these ranges are at odds with Mayday, and the Mayday/High Guard crossover rules in Mayday.

In Mayday each hex is a light second and ships can be detected at any range.

In M/HG rules ships are at short range if within 5 light seconds, within less than 15 light seconds is long range, beyond this is out of range but the ships can still see each other on the hex map.
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Note that these ranges are at odds with Mayday, and the Mayday/High Guard crossover rules in Mayday.

In Mayday each hex is a light second and ships can be detected at any range.

In M/HG rules ships are at short range if within 5 light seconds, within less than 15 light seconds is long range, beyond this is out of range but the ships can still see each other on the hex map.
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Thank you.
Tools Link
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Thank you.
Tools Link
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
Interesting you post this topic now, Robject. I've been (just over the last two days) looking at different sensor rules to use in my CT game.

Everything I've seen so far is so complicated. I want to put a sensor roll into the mix, but all I really want is the Navigator to roll a sensor scan, and then have a different roll for a sensor lock (a lock required before a bogey can be targeted).

I've looked at Mayday, High Guard, TNE, T4, MT, Bruce M's sensor rules...and a few other house rules.

Again, everything is so doggone complicated. I don't want half the starship combat encounter to be about figuring sensor DMs.

Anybody got some good rules for using sensors with CT?

(Also--
I've been looking at the various starship combat systems too: Mayday, High Guard, etc.

I like the standard CT method best--I think that's what I'm going to use in my game (although I may use the Starter Traveller version that uses range bands....or I might make the range bands hexes).
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
Interesting you post this topic now, Robject. I've been (just over the last two days) looking at different sensor rules to use in my CT game.

Everything I've seen so far is so complicated. I want to put a sensor roll into the mix, but all I really want is the Navigator to roll a sensor scan, and then have a different roll for a sensor lock (a lock required before a bogey can be targeted).

I've looked at Mayday, High Guard, TNE, T4, MT, Bruce M's sensor rules...and a few other house rules.

Again, everything is so doggone complicated. I don't want half the starship combat encounter to be about figuring sensor DMs.

Anybody got some good rules for using sensors with CT?

(Also--
I've been looking at the various starship combat systems too: Mayday, High Guard, etc.

I like the standard CT method best--I think that's what I'm going to use in my game (although I may use the Starter Traveller version that uses range bands....or I might make the range bands hexes).