Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Imperial Encyclopedia Wiki > Wiki Discussion

Wiki Discussion Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other discussion of the Traveller Wiki should go here.

Old September 13th, 2018, 01:45 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Greetings Maksim, rather than starting a new thread, I will post this here, and let you decide if it should go to a new thread.

First, in answer to the opening question, who is the Wiki audience, I think that I qualify under all three categories. I definitely am a consumer and also a pedant, but with the addition of my Survival Ration to the Wiki, I am now in the Developer category as well. I will try to make more contributions in that area in the near future.

My comment with respect to the Wiki is that is does not cover all of the various editions and information on the planets in particularly the Spinward Marches. I was just looking up information on Biter and Hofud in the Sword Worlds, and while the Spinward Marches book has Hofud at B666553 A B, the Wiki for Milieu 1116 at B666853-A, a major change in the population exponent. Which is correct? Spinward Marches came out in 1979, and obviously the Wiki is far more recent than that, but it still is puzzling. Given that it is listed as a "garden world", I would be tempted to bump the population exponent to "7", rather than "8", but that is just me.

The Biter entry also needs some clean-up for the population figure, as the population exponent is 6, but the population is listed as "has a population between 100,000 and 10 million sophonts." That should be between 1,000,000 and 10 millions sophonts. It also is a bit small for the atmosphere, but that happens a lot in the Spinward Marches book.
Do you have a security clearance? New Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old September 14th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+

I use the wiki quite a bit also (linking from Traveller Map). I would echo Timerover's general point... it's sometimes really hard to figure out which source is being used for information. Is it T5, MT, CT... etc ad nauseam.

Citations are listed but there is no in-line citation system which tends to boggle things. In addition, the non-canon stuff is cool but again it is integrated with other information making it seem canon.
Old September 14th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
I use the wiki quite a bit also (linking from Traveller Map). I would echo Timerover's general point... it's sometimes really hard to figure out which source is being used for information. Is it T5, MT, CT... etc ad nauseam. Citations are listed but there is no in-line citation system which tends to boggle things.
There is an in-line citation system (see the Rhylanor (world) page as an example), but it has only been introduced fairly recently, meaning that there are a HUGE number of existing articles that need to be retroactively in-line cited to sources.

Quote:
In addition, the non-canon stuff is cool but again it is integrated with other information making it seem canon.
This is an issue that has been discussed, but for which no final method of resolution has been agreed upon. I personally think an additional tab at the top (alongside the "Page" and "Discussion" tabs) for "Fanon" material would work. Move everything that has never appeared in print to the Fanon-tab, and leave everything that can be tied to a published reference (whether currently canonical or non-canonical) on the "Page" tab (and rename the Page tab to something more appropriate). With the in-line citations, the sources would be easily distinguished.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old September 15th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 223
The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to The Pakkrat
Default The Ignorable Tab

Should the traveller wiki implement a "Fanon" Tab, thus forcing almost 100% of my sector development in the Vargr Extents to this second-class existence, what will happen is an unbalanced state where the article tab will read the most basic, boring, minimal, official information on the article topic and displacing the creativity of the contributor to the Damnation Tab and branding their creativity as ignorable, unworthy, too lame to read, beneath your notice.

That, to me, does not do well to invite contributors to help expand and detail parts of Charted Space that are grossly underdeveloped. Myself, I have contributed to the development of Knoellighz, Angfutsag, and am currently engrossed in Gzaefueg Sector development. And you want to the wiki to retroactively displace all those articles, world write-ups, and even snippets of augmentations to canon article details to a We Care Not For Your Unpublished Hard Work, Plebian area of the wiki?

Sure. Find time to go back and comb through every contribution on the traveller wiki to sift the precious canon from the chaff of creative contributors for the elitist peace of mind. You might see a contributor exodus.

Contributors to the wiki are just as needed as those landed knights of official publications.
The Pakkrat 0608 X58738-8 S va++ so+ zh+ vi+ da+ 534
On assignment: Dhillourr (Gzaefueg 1413) B110A7A-G Hi In {5} 102 F9 V VRo5
Old September 15th, 2018, 09:45 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pakkrat View Post
Contributors to the wiki are just as needed as those landed knights of official publications.

Fanon can and should stand on it's own. Fanon should not rely on proximity to or mingling with canon to attract readers. Fanon does not automatically equate substandard work nor is it a derogatory term. Fanon is fanon and, like anything else, should be judged on it's own merits.

Star Trek's wiki differentiates between canon and fanon. If Traveller is the "Third sci-fi setting" along with Star Trek and Star Wars as many claim, Traveller's wiki should do the same.
Old September 15th, 2018, 11:18 AM

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Fanon can and should stand on it's own. Fanon should not rely on proximity to or mingling with canon to attract readers. Fanon does not automatically equate substandard work nor is it a derogatory term. Fanon is fanon and, like anything else, should be judged on it's own merits.

Star Trek's wiki differentiates between canon and fanon. If Traveller is the "Third sci-fi setting" along with Star Trek and Star Wars as many claim, Traveller's wiki should do the same.
Sigh, this again.

The contributions to the wiki are done by volunteers. If the contributors feel that the separation of the material in this manner is useful, the technical changes to make this happen are simple to implement.

The wiki makes changes based upon the consensus of the contributors.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page

Last edited by tjoneslo; September 15th, 2018 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old September 15th, 2018, 12:29 PM

Visit Whipsnade's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
Sigh, this again.
Yes, this again. Have you ever stopped to consider why the same issue keeps being raised by so many different people? Or why the same issue keeps coming up every time the Wiki is discussed?

Quote:
The contributions to the wiki are done by volunteers.
Volunteers run the Trek wiki too. Your point being?

Quote:
If the contributors feel that the separation of the material in this manner is useful, the technical changes to make this happen are simple to implement.
So, contributors and not users? We already know what the contributors think. That's why the Wiki is in the shape it is.

Quote:
The wiki makes changes based upon the consensus of the contributors.
Which might be a problem. Do you see Traveller Map dismissing user feedback with something like "Well, the contributors think..."? Traveller Map knows it exists for all it's users while the Wiki wants to believe that contributors are the only users which count.

You can ignore me. My opinion of the Wiki is well known and I've received infractions for stating that opinion. You shouldn't ignore all the other voices saying much the same thing, however.

Read this thread and start listening to those other members.
Old September 15th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 223
The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to The Pakkrat
Default Wiki Main Page

On the Main Page of the Traveller Wiki it says...

"Note to Traveller Authors
The Traveller RPG Wiki is not considered a canonical source for any Traveller materials. If you, as an author or pedant, need to cite Traveller canon we encourage you to refer to the original primary source materials.
When doing research for your game or writing project, please contact the Research Department or a Master AAB Librarian about your needs to ensure the articles are updated with appropriate sources and background information.
- Master AAB Librarian & Traveller Wiki Editorial Team"

That's a pretty blanket statement, right at the front page. I read that as being the wiki is not a canonical reference tool though it might draw upon canon for its sources. That puts the ball in the court of the contributors first, allow them freedom to contribute without the persecution of Us/Them partitions that, yes they do put up walls, telling the User to ignore, discount or write off contributions. This dampens the spirit of why contributors devote such creativity.

In my case, I see more work from contributors in the Vargr Extents and Vargr Enclaves than published canon. My work, Stellar Reaches, the Gvurrdon Sectorbook, and a few other potential contributors whom I hope will continue with their works on Tuglikki and Meshan Sectors are but a few examples. The Traveller Wiki is the haven for such contribution and has, as stated above, been that refuge from cononmongers who would slap labels and erect walls.

Reliably, every week, I see on the COTI Discord server, someone posting links to some article from the Traveller Wiki. They hold it as a valued resource for the consideration of those Referees, developers, and players with questions. Happily, I do not see them say anything about canon or non-canon when they note that something is readily available to provide answers. If the Traveller Wiki has sparked the imagination and creativity to offer up a campaign, Referee to potential players, such partitions are of little value.
The Pakkrat 0608 X58738-8 S va++ so+ zh+ vi+ da+ 534
On assignment: Dhillourr (Gzaefueg 1413) B110A7A-G Hi In {5} 102 F9 V VRo5
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:10 PM

Visit Whipsnade's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pakkrat View Post
On the Main Page of the Traveller Wiki it says...

There are warnings on cigarette packages too and with much the same effect.

Quote:
Happily, I do not see them say anything about canon or non-canon...
They don't say anything about canon because they assume the Wiki to be canon and we see people making that same assumption here every week.

I find it odd that you're so fearful of your material being under a fanon tab. On the one hand you're understandably proud of your work, yet on the other hand you're absolutely petrified that it could no longer "mingle" with canon.

The truth is people will use it if it's good. Your work stands on it's own merits and you shouldn't be afraid to let it stand on it's own merits.

Last edited by Whipsnade; September 15th, 2018 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old September 15th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Fanon does not automatically equate substandard work nor is it a derogatory term. Fanon is fanon and, like anything else, should be judged on it's own merits.
Fannon most definitely carries a derogatory connotation for me.

Most people I know consider it lesser, because if it were good enough, the author would have attempted to get it into a licensed product or even an official one - more so for games than other media, but...
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.