Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old September 7th, 2018, 05:24 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
No, both are reboots.
I think both Marc and I would call them evolutions rather than reboots...
Old September 7th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I have to admit being really impressed by some of the new MgT2e stuff - The Great Rift, Element Class Cruisers but the icing on the cake for me is the Fall of Tinath in the Starter edition and the new adventure opportunities it opens up.

In a similar vein their is some excellent stuff in T5 - the makers, sophonts creation, synthetics, wafers, the technology chapter to name just a few as they spring to mind.

Re-visiting different eras of the OTU using either MgT 2e or T5 does offer new possibilities, my only caveat is that care should be taken to match extant canon, a retcon should be a last rather than first resort.

A re-boot of the OTU to me would update a lot of the core OTU tech paradigms in light of T5 and MgT developments - the transhumanist nature of wafers is something that jumps out of T5, AotI and MgT (yes the are in there I checked )
Old September 8th, 2018, 12:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Why adapt to MgT 1e rules when they themselves have been re-booted by MgT2e and HG2e?
Gamers are buying Mongoose Traveller 2nd Edition because it is the latest edition and they have no previous books of the role-playing game. Those that have 1st edition Mongoose already don't really need to buy the 2nd edition.
Old September 17th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

BRJN Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
GT:ISW ... has a few minor contentious points and a major one, but it does the setting justice.
What were those points?

I've noticed that the Library statement "the early wars were marked by see-saw exchanges of territory" only applies to 4IW.
And spinal mount stats have nothing to do with High Guard '80 stats.
Old September 18th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

Let's say it's a revisioning, with enough latitude that you can customize your setting.

However, that shouldn't apply to the more technical/technology aspects of the game mechanics.