Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old April 28th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Location: Stalking the seeker Claimjumper and it\'s crew of geriatric pirates.
Gallery : 0
selunatic2397 Citizen

Andre Norton was a heavy influence in my Traveller universe as well.
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
With respect to the original post, I am working on putting in the Bald Space Rovers of Andre Norton into the rimward area from Terra, and maybe making use of some of her planets from other books, such as the Solar Queen series and maybe Catseye and Star Hunter. Both of the latter have the remains of prior civilizations on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
I was thinking of some of Andre Norton's planets as well.

I always like how in her universe things were wide open as to what had gone on in the past. I never liked Classic Traveller Genesis with Grandfather etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selunatic2397 View Post
Andre Norton was a heavy influence in my Traveller universe as well.
I too have been working my universe closer to AN's general "feel" and style (something I did from the start with my AD&D world in 1984).
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShapeShifter Citizen

Mostly planets and story concepts mined from the "Dumarest" books.

More recently, I'm trying to work references to the Krell species (and the planet Altair) into my Traveller milieu. Krell superartefacts could make for great foci of missions/quests for both the Good Guys and the Baddies.
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

madmike Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post

More recently, I'm trying to work references to the Krell species (and the planet Altair) into my Traveller milieu. Krell superartefacts could make for great foci of missions/quests for both the Good Guys and the Baddies.
Beware the Id

I often had variations of vanished civilisations in campaigns. Some higher tech, most average or lower.
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton
Cool

Moth from Flinx series of the Humanx Commonwealth stuff by Alan Dean Foster.

Swiped the Thranx as well.

Cryton

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Visit Shiara's Blog
Shiara Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Shiara Send a message via AIM to Shiara Send a message via MSN to Shiara

Andre Norton, Isaac Asimov, are the two who have had the most influence. Although the Deathworld books do too, despite the fact I cannot recall the author's name to save my life. I don't port things in whole cloth, but the influences are strong.

Shiara

Dame Shiara Ulanti, IISS (ret.)
Knight of the Iridium Throne
Knight of the Domain of Deneb
Knight of the Empire
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:45 AM

Dragoner Citizen-

Harry Harrison wrote the Deathworld trilogy, Planet Story by him (illustrated by Burns) is also great; as per the op: borrow? No, I ruthlessly steal from SF authors I like: Norton, Banks, Harrison, etc. .
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post

There was a paperback book released in the late 1950s based on the script of Forbidden Planet, with the same title. It would be interesting to see if one was available online. Just think of what a "brain boost" could do to your Intelligence rating. You would have to make a Survival roll though.

As for Grandfather, one thing about him is that he was circa 300,000 years ago. That is more than enough time for other star-faring races to develop, flourish, and then disappear, and for advanced civilizations to develop that never went beyond their own solar system. All of the Real World's recorded history covers about 5,000 years.

Edit Note: If someone is willing to spend some serious money, there are copies of the Forbidden Planet book on Abebooks. And I do mean serious money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:31 PM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
Swiped the Thranx as well.

Cryton
As did I.

I put their "pocket empire" in Spica sector; "C" subsector; 0505, 0605, 0607, 0706, 0707, 0804, 0805, 0806, & 0807... with Hivehome being 0706.

Using the Atlas of the Imperium; 2105, 2205, 2207, 2306, 2307, 2404, 2405, 2406, & 2407... with Hivehome being 2306.
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShapeShifter Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
There was a paperback book released in the late 1950s based on the script of Forbidden Planet, with the same title. It would be interesting to see if one was available online. Just think of what a "brain boost" could do to your Intelligence rating. You would have to make a Survival roll though.

Edit Note: If someone is willing to spend some serious money, there are copies of the Forbidden Planet book on Abebooks. And I do mean serious money.
Way ahead of ya. A few months ago I scoured the intarwebz for a used copy of the novelisation, and, crikey, are they collectible! It is likely nowhere as valuable as literature as the going prices would suggest, so I called off the hounds and decided to focus solely on the movie. I had a similar experience last year shopping for an early print of Whitfields' The Making of Star Trek. Copies of that in good condition are worth one's vital organs -- if not more. Thankfully, I eventually found one for a pittance.

Another two sources which just occured to me: Vance's Planet of Adventure stories and some of Heinlein's "juveniles". (Gotta get back to finishing those. )