Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old July 6th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
Hotfoot Jackson Citizen
Default Autocannons on starships.

Watched "Empire Strikes Back" again and the sequence with the Millennium Falcon's small autogun suddenly appears and wipes out some Imperial Snowtroopers before they can set up a laser cannon got me thinking. Why not put an autocannon on a starship?

I'm planning a CT setting that uses an old clapped out Beowulf class free trader. It would have the top turret with a pulse laser/sandcaster/missile rack combo but I was going to have the lower hardpoint empty. Now I think I'll have it that the captain got hold of an old vehicle turret with an autocannon and installed that there instead, controlled from the bridge and second gunnery station on the ship. It'll provide some useful ground defence and anti-personnel capacity.

Has this been done "in canon" before? I know that CT starship hulls are generally impregnable to anything other than ship-mounted weapons, so it's not going to be that much use in combat, but it might add to point defence against missiles. For that matter I can't see starship weaponry mentioned in LBB4 Mercenary, though I think the assumption is that if anything less than a starship gets hit by a starship laser it gets vaporised.
Ok, so there's these lesbian Alsan pirates on board the Annic Nova, using jump torpedoes to spread the Virus before they unleash a barrage of near-C rocks, all under the authority of the Imperial Warrant from the Kinunir...

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.