Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 4th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoner View Post
It is a balance between poles as I think after a while people playing Mary Sue's get bored with them, some sort of fault to play off of gives the character more depth.
I have found fun in having decent to heroic characters and just chasing bigger challenges. OTOH, my Merchant character has a 4 and a 5 so it's not always perfect.

Leitz
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Dragoner Citizen-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
I have found fun in having decent to heroic characters and just chasing bigger challenges. OTOH, my Merchant character has a 4 and a 5 so it's not always perfect.

Leitz
Part of the problem lies in the game itself, traveller doesn't always lend itself to a typical heroic style play, it's more intellectual than hack 'n slash.

My rogue-spy I rolled up came off pretty strong, but because of the 5000cr limit I took three benefits in stat +1's.
Old October 5th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Baron

I think Traveller is pretty agnostic in many ways. It would be easy to have a heroic character if that's what the game was for. Case in point, John is pretty darn good at what he does if you read the old game he was in. Yet he's mentally hurt by everything he's seen and thus the switch to negotiation as an option. If he can make it happen, great! No skill in it, but hey, who cares?

What always kinda bummed me is the Traveller cliche about being offered a job and then some silly twist on things that had no clues. Hello? McFly? If you're that desperate then who would trust you anyway? Why can't DM leverage career background and you get contacted by an old friend who has a job opportunity, or knows someone who knows someone. Works in real life, too. Or heck, maybe even the characters have their own plans and don't really need hand holding?

Traveller gives you lots of options, both in mechanics and story. Like I mentioned before, I don't particularly care for desert stuff but sometimes you gotta go there. Maybe soon elsewhere.

Leitz
Old October 5th, 2012, 08:46 PM

Dragoner Citizen-

I like deserts as enviroments personally, though living out west for a long time, it was something you pretty much had to get used to, Mountains are also cool; but everyone is different.

The scenario at the base, and everywhere else really can go anyway the characters want to go, as I have a ton of notes, it is more open. Fight, negotiate, it is up to you.

IMO the heroic stuff about Traveller it is that it is realistic in that getting shot it doesn't matter if you are Conan or a 98lb weakling, it's quickly life threatening. In D&D, you just had a jillion hit points by the high levels so you could take on whole armies of orcs single handedly.

Rob
Old October 6th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

DangerousThing Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
I've toyed with what I call a Nature and Nurture option to allow some customization and (usually) avoidance of those annoying 2's.

Nature: Roll 1D6 per characteristic in order. This is what you were born with.

Nurture: Roll 6D6 and assign as desired to the characteristics. This is what your upbringing focused on..
I like this, but IMTU there were some improvements made in the human genome, so End and Int would each have 6 for the nature part.

I also like Soc as a calculated stat so it isn't rolled. I don't know what I want to replace it with yet though.
Old October 6th, 2012, 12:57 AM

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Nurture: Roll 6D6 and assign as desired to the characteristics. This is what your upbringing focused on.
To me, that would be more like genetic engineering than nurturing.
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

If you really want to get complicated and better model reality you need a bell curve for characteristic distribution.

So start with 7 in each characteristic.

Roll 3 dice:

Code:
 3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 18 
-5  -4  -3  -2  -2  -1  -1   0   0  +1  +1  +2  +2  +3  +4 +5

Last edited by mike wightman; October 6th, 2012 at 06:04 AM..
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Baron

I have more reality than I care for, sometimes. The story is what entrances me, and I like to have uplifting moments. That's why I avoid "gritty" games or stories. Why read "drama"? I can just talk to my ex about my kid if I want emotional manipulation.

There's a game mechanic in 7th Sea where the player describes to the DM how the character would probably die. I've taken characters into situations where I expect them to die but it is the right choice for that character at that time. Sometimes they live, and that means their story is able to continue. Sometimes they don't, and that means they met a fitting end. If the DM starts bringing in aspects of the death I've described you can bet the tension level is high!

If a DM tells me my character stumbled into a seedy part of town and gets shot and killed, because that's what the dice said, it conveys several things to me.

1. The DM's ability to convey the scene is lacking. Having been in rough parts of rough towns, it becomes perfectly clear that you're in a bad spot long before the denizens take real notice of you.

2. The DM's understanding of firearm usage is limited. Beyond a few feet, even people like average Law Enforcement who have to qualify one or more times a year, have a difficult time hitting anything. You ought to go see a range where LEO's practice, it is kind of scary! Most people are lousy shots because firearms skills diminishes with lack of use and most people don't put in the practice or the rounds to get good and stay that way.

3. The DM hasn't considered the effects of human physiology on the shooter. Fine muscle control goes out the window when you're in a fear situation and generally if some one is shooting at you it stimulates fear. Outside of highly trained military folks it is hard to find good shooters when bullets are flying in all directions.

4. The DM hasn't thought about wounds and effects from being shot. A shot from a full size handgun can kill you outright, if it hits in just the right spots. Generally, though, it just gets messy and you hurt like heck but have time to get out of there or shoot back, assuming presence of mind. It takes lots of shots to kill, assuming standard constitution and non-critical area hits.

5. The DM feels my enjoyment is less important than random effects from inanimate objects. Yes, if I go into a firefight with a character then death is an option and I've accepted that. If a DM puts kills my character to teach me a lesson, they've taught me to find another game. Likewise if a DM jacks with the character concept to railroad me into their scenario. Had one DM let us make up characters and then we were put in a prison mine for a year and a half before the game started. Huh? That was a good time to leave, and I did.

Use averages and precision for NPCs. Use your skills as a DM to provide an awesome game for your players; vivid descriptions, high adventure, strong relationships, and hard earned success. Think big for your games and let the small thinkers just roll dice and read from modules.

Leitz
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

That is very interesting. It does attract to the middle.

Last edited by Shonner; October 6th, 2012 at 07:30 AM..
Old October 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Evil Steve Citizen

I have players roll 12d6 and pair them up. I find it tends towards middling stats, but avoids really terrible ones.

"I'm an awful human being."