Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Dragoner Citizen-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGamer View Post
Going with trying to have adventurers who are at least average, I've seen an option where if the total of all characteristic DMs is negative you can reroll the character - usually just once and you can go back to the first char if the second is even worse.
It is a balance between poles as I think after a while people playing Mary Sue's get bored with them, some sort of fault to play off of gives the character more depth.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:56 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
I'm open to suggestions, and appreciate the feedback
I didn't expect less from you

Quote:
I think I see what you're saying. That nurture really won't much affect one's Soc. Yes?
Yes, you understood me.

Quote:
I'd have to disagree if I've got the gist of your reasoning. Those high born (from a 5 or 6 by Nature) are the ones who may go on to greatness through hard work (by adding a 5 or 6 through Nurture). Or they may just be 7th sons and daughters of big wigs well removed from the title inheritance (by only adding a 1 through 4 for Nurture). Even by doing little or nothing they have a comfortable place in society.

Conversely the low born (with just 1 or 2 by Nature) will probably never be great figures (even adding a 6 won't mean much, not without years more of work through career Soc bonuses). They would be the classic self-made man, starting from nothing and becoming Someone.
True, but as I understand Soc, most changes you may make on it about your Nutrure will be in your career, not before you're 18 (and I understand your system to be for initial stats, so those you have at 18 years old). At 18, your Soc is basically dependant on your parents'. Even the 7th sons of a baron will have relative higher Soc stat than the heir of a middle class family at 18.

An alternative would be to make your Soc Nutrure partly dependent on your Edu Nutrure (if your Nature Soc is 3, middle class, but your fathers somewhat maneaged to send you to Eaton School, your Soc will probably improve from the contacts you make there).

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

hdan Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to hdan

Interesting idea, "nature vs. nurture".

What if when rolling your "nature" skills, roll 2D for Soc first.

Then, when rolling nature and nurture, you can roll 5 + SOC (the mod) times to simulate the dis/advantages of their position. I'd also allow you to apply more than one dice per stat, but you have to apply the whole valuel, and nobody can go over 12.

This system will hold back the economically disadvantaged somewhat, who will likely be forced to focus on one or two stats to improve above 1-6 baseline. Likewise, the advantaged will tend to be more well-rounded, but in most cases we're only talking 1d variance in either direction. Which can certainly make a difference, but it's still very possible to wind up with nearly hopeless nobles or exceptional pariahs (though the latter will have at least one stat no higher than 6).
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
PFVA63 Citizen
Default Hi

Back when I was playing around with CT, I ended up trying a system where I'd identify the main STAT that I was interested in and kept rolling 2D6 until I got a roll that I liked. After that I'd roll the rest of the STAT's normally.

That way, if I wanted something like a Noble, I'd start by rolling for SOC and would keep re-rolling until I got A or better. If instead I was hoping for someone with good advanced skills, I'd start by rolling EDU, and keep re-rolling until I got 8 or better, etc.

This way I could at least try and direct a little bit on trying to develop a character along certain lines.

Eventually I also ended up deciding if I wasn't happy with a specific character or set of STATs I ended up allowing myself to set him aside for use as an NPC or something, and then I start re-rolling a new character all over.

One other thing I played around with a little, was that even if a character dies in creation, I'd set him/her aside as well for use as an NPC that might be encountered during play (hopefully before his/her death) and eventually I decided that if anyone wanted to play a such a character as a PC, then they could by picking a point in his/her life before the fatal event and taking over from there.

As such, I kind of figured the character as rolled was how that persons life may have normally played out had not fate (or actually the player) intervened and sent the character's life off in different direction.

PF
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

loudriver23 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFVA63 View Post
Back when I was playing around with CT, I ended up trying a system where I'd identify the main STAT that I was interested in and kept rolling 2D6 until I got a roll that I liked. After that I'd roll the rest of the STAT's normally.

That way, if I wanted something like a Noble, I'd start by rolling for SOC and would keep re-rolling until I got A or better. If instead I was hoping for someone with good advanced skills, I'd start by rolling EDU, and keep re-rolling until I got 8 or better, etc.

This way I could at least try and direct a little bit on trying to develop a character along certain lines.

Eventually I also ended up deciding if I wasn't happy with a specific character or set of STATs I ended up allowing myself to set him aside for use as an NPC or something, and then I start re-rolling a new character all over.

One other thing I played around with a little, was that even if a character dies in creation, I'd set him/her aside as well for use as an NPC that might be encountered during play (hopefully before his/her death) and eventually I decided that if anyone wanted to play a such a character as a PC, then they could by picking a point in his/her life before the fatal event and taking over from there.

As such, I kind of figured the character as rolled was how that persons life may have normally played out had not fate (or actually the player) intervened and sent the character's life off in different direction.

PF
I kind of like this idea too. It still keeps the rules mostly intact, while letting the players idea for his/her character flourish. When in doubt, let the story dictate action.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:59 PM

Gallery : 4
PFVA63 Citizen
Default Hi

Thanks

PF
Old October 4th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

If someone has a concept in mind, I'll let them roll all 6, then place the rolls so as to fit the initial concept.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 4th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

I have gone with a mixed point buy and dice roll method. Basically you get 42 points plus an additional 2d6 roll for additional points. Then assign to your characteristics on a one for one basis. This allows for a slightly better than average characteristics and rolls (one 9 and five 8's if you get an average of 42+7(dice roll)), with the player making the choice if they want monster stat in some area with sacrifice in another.
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Roll 3D6 and drop the lowest.

I don't really care all that much what the players say their stats are for characteristics since the skills they have will really determine a lot of the chances for success or failure in a game. That, and their creativity and enthusiasm for the game. If they want to bring in a character that has a straight 15 in all the stats and +5 in every skill available it still wouldn't matter if they didn't get along with the rest of the group and help make the game enjoyable for everyone - they'd be booted form the game or their character eaten to show the rest how the monster works.

Besides, most people I have played with seem to enjoy the CT chargen system and have enough fun building their character's backstory out of the random rolls and skill gains, so even if they come form the D20 game systems with the massive character buildups they do fine with rolling a 'normal' Trav character.

After the players have rolled their characters if they are looking for something special I work it out with them on the side so they get their "perk", usually in the form of some former patron to call on if they need a favor, some cash or property inheritance, a special item, etc. I work with them to frame it all into a coherent back story and we are off to the races. Doing this may take some time but it is worth it in the end.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old October 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM

BillDowns Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Besides, most people I have played with seem to enjoy the CT chargen system and have enough fun building their character's backstory out of the random rolls and skill gains, so even if they come form the D20 game systems with the massive character buildups they do fine with rolling a 'normal' Trav character.
My son and one of his friends were most attracted to chargen - looking at Mongoose, though, instead of CT. Really, their biggest concern is advancement, but I keep telling them it won't be a big deal.

Not for what I have in mind for them