Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old November 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default Looking for Traveller starship "product labels"

Something Traveller hasn't done much is "colorize" the descriptions of starship components. For example, branding a jump drive. Here are canonical examples of what I mean:

Gayle Field type ##
Shva type ?#-
IDC FarDrive #/?
Bilstein A?-#
Dupree ###m
Model 1#
ISMM Model ?.##
#? Ganged Forelle field generator
Torgee PL ??##
Deltic Mk####
Triptic Halonic ?
Zahinyo #.#

I want more. I'm looking for a dozen more names. Anyone done anything like this already?
Tools Link
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
Default Wouldn't you know. A company that makes a living do what you ask

Not that I am suggesting that you use them. LOL

http://www.brighternaming.com/techni...xperience.html

I can't find it now but there was a buzz word generator that you could dump in your own words along with a spelling dictionary and then it would dump out X number of words made up from adding words, parts of words and such

You clicked whether you wanted actual words, made up words or words that sounded neat (only the spelling words would be combined since the program only knew how those sounded)

And some words for gadgets come from the culture/national language and just sound neat to our unaccustom ears.
Some examples to help

Akai - "red" in Japanese, also used as the name of color of the rising sun, as seen on the flag of Japan.

Blaupunkt "blue dot" in German. The company (named Ideal back then) specialized in headphones manufacture, and the blue dot was the sing with which the headphones that passed the quality test were marked. Thus, the quality symbol became a trademark, and the trademark became the company name.

Canon - from the name of the company's first camera, the Kwannon, in turn named after the Japanese name of the Buddhist bodhisattva of mercy.

Casio - from the name of its founder, Kashio Tadao.

Cisco - short for San Francisco.

Compaq probably, from "comp" for computer, and "pack" referred to a small integral object; or: Compatibility and Quality; or: from the company's first product, the very compact Compaq Portable.

Daewoo - means "great universe" in Korean.

Hitachi - literally means "sunrise" in Japanese.

LG - combination of two popular Korean brands Lucky and Goldstar.

Samsung means "three stars" in Korean.

Sanyo means "three oceans" in Korean.

Seiko - Japanese word for "exquisite", "minute", or "success".

Sharp - named from company's first product, an ever-sharp pencil.

Sony - from the Latin word "sonus" meaning sound, and "sonny", a slang word used to refer to a bright youngster. This name was chosen as it could be pronounced easily in many languages.

Plus some company gadget names come from the ancorymn of the first letter of each word of the device

BLT (Bacon lettuce tomato or my favorite from a B SciFi movie, Bi-Linear Transport)

MILES gear (Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System)

Just trying to help people think of some cool names for your.

I really like your idea about adding this kind of detail. Thanks

Dave Chase
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 29
Scarecrow Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Scarecrow

They did this for Star Wars in the RPG and it contributed towards de-mystify the setting for me, sadly. I don't need to know that the X-wing is a T-65 built by Incom, it's just an X-Wing. That's all I need to know.

For Traveller, however I think it'd have the opposite effect, strengthening it's credibility and adding background texture. It's a great idea.

A 200 dTon Free-Trader using a Boeing 'Bison' Frame and utilising two 50,000 lb Pratt and Whitney Engines with vectored thrust tunnels for mid-line lift function. That has me positively salivating

Anyone remember the Uncle Albert's catalogue from SJG's Car Wars? A book like that for Traveller would be a great piece of Splat/Fluff.

Crow

Last edited by Scarecrow; November 13th, 2008 at 06:06 AM..
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool Those stats sound familar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
They did this for Star Wars in the RPG and it contributed towards de-mystify the setting for me, sadly. I don't need to know that the X-wing is a T-65 built by Incom, it's just an X-Wing. That's all I need to know.

For Traveller, however I think it'd have the opposite effect, strengthening it's credibility and adding background texture. It's a great idea.

A 200 dTon Free-Trader using a Boeing 'Bison' Frame and utilising two 50,000 lb Pratt and Whitney Engines with vectored thrust tunnels for mid-line lift function. That has me positively salivating

Anyone remember the Uncle Albert's catalogue from SJG's Car Wars? A book like that for Traveller would be a great piece of Splat/Fluff.

Crow
These sound like some FTL Tug I recall....didn't end well at all...
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Gallery : 29
Scarecrow Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Scarecrow

You win a snog!

Yeah, I was so utterly blown away by that drawing as a kid, I memorised it word for word and used it in just about every starship design plan I ever drew

I was just flicking through the Uncle Albert's Catalogue and they actually didn't have many company or product names. It was just a fancy equipment list, really - fair enough, that was what it was supposed to be - but every item is illustrated and accompanied by descriptive fluff text aswell as stats. A Traveller version would be very cool I think.

Ling Standard Products Catalogue IC-1113

I was looking for a link to that picture but couldn't find one I did discover Cobb's official site though and I didn't realise that he worked on Firefly!!
He did design Conan's movie sword, The Millenium Falcon interior, The ALIENS dropship and the Hammerhead from the cantina and for that he shall always be sainted I also discovered recently that he appears in the first Conan movie. He's the guy that tries to sell Conan and Subotai the Black Lotus (Stygian! The Best!)

cool
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Gallery : 0
Maladominus Citizen

Quote:
A 200 dTon Free-Trader using a Boeing 'Bison' Frame and utilising two 50,000 lb Pratt and Whitney Engines with vectored thrust tunnels for mid-line lift function.....
You forgot to mention the Vickers machineguns.... erm... I mean "twin-laser turrets".
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Jeffr0 Citizen

Quote:
BattleTech did this in their first technical readout. The mech design system was very primitive... but the "branding" of the weaponry combined with the drawings by Loose went a long way toward making that simple game very respectable. The power plant listing in the original rulebook gave a company name for each size-- there were no game effects on any of these names... it just made things seem real.

Quote:
Anyone remember the Uncle Albert's catalogue from SJG's Car Wars? A book like that for Traveller would be a great piece of Splat/Fluff. Crow
IMTU, Uncle Albert lives on in one of his many clone descendents. He's known as "Uncle Al the Traveller's Pal" and has name recognition exceeding that of Brubek's and SolaCola.
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Jeffr0 Citizen

Quote:
I was just flicking through the Uncle Albert's Catalogue and they actually didn't have many company or product names. It was just a fancy equipment list, really - fair enough, that was what it was supposed to be - but every item is illustrated and accompanied by descriptive fluff text aswell as stats.
Check later issues of ADQ and supplements like The Combat Showcase-- branding began to take on NASCAR level dimensions. Other companies besides Uncle Al would place advertisements in ADQ occassionally. FNORD motors was a classic... and of course there was hi-tech equipment from Electro-fabrique Swisse and pedestrian weaponry from Ped-Tech. Mitsui and Amex made some pretty good cars, too.

(Uncle Albert was more the "Wal-Mart" type marketing of other companies' stuff. He'd talk them down on their prices until they were paying him to carry their stuff-- and they didn't even get to keep their brands on it most of the time!)
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+
Default 7th Sanctum

there are a variety of random word/phrase/etc generators at http://www.seventhsanctum.com/

The equipment link (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-equi.php) has several options for things like weapons, medications, etc.

No brand names per se, but somewhere in there is probably a company name generation system.

But a supplement with all this would be cool fluff.
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen

The earlier Traveller adventures like Kinunir and Leviathan included these kind of details for drives, powerplants and computers.

Then the Imperium just got too big.

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic