Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old July 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
jawillroy has disabled reputation
Default Retro Rockets?

Looking at the early CT oeuvre, I'd come to the conclusion that right from the beginning MWM had artificial magic-gravity as standard in starships; although LBB2 doesn't make any reference to it at all, all of the deck plans produced explicitly seem to have it.

But I'm curious about your thoughts on a few points:

1) What changes would you make, in terms of game play and setting, if CT maneuver drives are understood to be fusion torches?
2) Let's suppose that at TL 9 or thereabouts contragrav is still new enough tech that while having such units in vehicles is feasible, paving starship decks with it might be too expensive until a higher tech: how would you envision the lack of CG on ships (say) TL12 or less affecting a TU?

As for one, Certainly, ground starports would be way WAY out from any inhabited areas and landing near a settlement would be an act of war; I see starports at the edges of deserts or on the shores of oceans, with the actual landing-take of zones way the heck out there away from the facility. Ship's boats would, I guess, be chemical burner rockets and I'd be inclined to limit burn time on them: those can land a little more safely.

Commercial ships would, for the safety and comfort of passengers, accelerate and decelerate at constant 1G in order to maintain comfortable interior gravity. Military vessels would be able to do better, but wouldn't unless in actual combat situations: those 6 gees would get pretty brutal. Any ships meant to stay on position for long periods would be built with rotational gravity in mind.

What else, do you think?

Again, I know it's not OTU, and it might not even end up MTU - but I'm curious to hash this out.
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Gadrin Citizen
Wink

Isn't that a common enough topic in Larry Niven's Known Space books ? I seem to remember something about using the fusion drive as a weapon, in maybe the "Soft Weapon" story, and possibly others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Known_Space
  • Singleship — a small spacecraft occupied and flown by only one person. It is a term short for single occupant spaceship. The singleships are commonly used by Belters for mining and transportation. During the Man-Kzin Wars they were also used as warships, since the fusion jet (so the colloquial name a Torchship) which propels the vessel could be used like a miles-long flamethrower.

Most plans don't even survive contact with reality.

Thanks, Gadrin
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM

I haven't read the Known Space books yet - though I clearly ought to. In terms of Traveller-style combat, though - when significant distances are measured in light-seconds, a miles-long fusion flamethrower doesn't mean too much, does it?
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Ishmael Citizen

I definitely remember that in the LBB's , that ship's exhaust could be used as a weapon. You just had to get really close ( .25 inch? )
Even as a kid, I don't think I'd have made that up in the middle of a hotly contested battle with my best friend. ( iirc, I danced when I made a perfect series of vector changes to be able to use it. )

but to go one step further, you'd have to keep track of reaction mass
and that means limited burns and that makes the travel time calcs a lil bit trickier
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Gallery : 1
Gadrin Citizen
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawillroy View Post
I haven't read the Known Space books yet - though I clearly ought to. In terms of Traveller-style combat, though - when significant distances are measured in light-seconds, a miles-long fusion flamethrower doesn't mean too much, does it?
Unless you're attacking a planetary target.

>

Most plans don't even survive contact with reality.

Thanks, Gadrin
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I definitely remember that in the LBB's , that ship's exhaust could be used as a weapon. You just had to get really close ( .25 inch? )
It may have been in 1st ed CT, but it was not in the version of CT I had.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:22 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawillroy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadrin View Post
Unless you're attacking a planetary target.
Or trying to prevent that Corsair from docking.

You think WET Vargr smell bad...
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

The exhaust weapon idea was in the 1st edition of High Guard and was dropped along with a number of other ideas when the 2nd edition was published.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:33 AM

I do remember something about that; it's interesting to me in that it suggests that as originally envisioned, Traveller space/starship maneuver drives were fusion torches.

In LBB1, first edition, didn't small craft have some sort of fuel limitations for their drives? Anyone have the book, or remember? I know Mayday has fuel limits for small craft, and that might correspond.

It makes the shuttle/ship's boat a lot more important if it's the only acceptable way of getting planetside, no?
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Gallery : 2
Mithras Citizen

How will it effect the game? Well, look at 2300AD ... most ships are spacebound , using shuttles and space planes to reach the surface. Someships have spin areas for artifical G, some dont. Think of the Lewis & Clark from EVENT HORIZON.

As long as the crews can get some Gs somewhere. Either in a spinning portion of the ship for regular gym sessions, or more commonly I suspect, tread 1G on the habitats in orbit around worlds. Every High Port is a rotating wheel (if small - 2001 style), or a tera-ton cylinder rotating habitat, like the one in Neuromancer. What was that called...how could I forget - it is my all-time favourite novel. I need to re-read it!!!

http://zozer.weebly.com/orbital.html