Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old February 21st, 2019, 08:16 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 0
Thanos Citizen
Default Char Gen using Traveller Book

Check me on this... Providing there is no commission and no promotion in your first term you get two skills and then one skill per term after that? If true then a 4 term character with no commission and no promotions would only have 5 skills?
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Ha! Yes, welcome to 1st-gen RPGing.
Old February 21st, 2019, 10:05 PM

Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

And then watch someone with a Book 4-7 character laugh at your character

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old February 22nd, 2019, 05:24 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

In TTB Scouts get two skills per term every term (should they get three on the first term?)

There is errata in the SMC which grants two skills per term to every career that has no commision or promotion roll in Supplement 4 careers.
IMHO this should apply to the Other career in TTB.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 10:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
You should not mix characters created with The Traveller Book system and the system from Books 4 to 7. That would be a fast way to get a very unhappy player or two. You go with one or the other, not a mix of both.

I understand that Marc was in the military during Vietnam, where a 12-month rotation was followed for those in-country, while the Air Force played with 179 day rotations to avoid permanent change of station issues. While the Army maintains a short-term rotation to Korea, the normal term at a station is 3 years, and then probably a school. I could see making a rule for a character to get two skills per term, without a promotion, and maybe three with a promotion, but I cannot see getting more than 2 or 3 skills per term.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 10:55 AM

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++

Skills in CT are the things your character excels at and could get hired to do.

The skill list is a list of particular types of expertise that might help the PCs along on their adventures.

None of the skills are required to attain desired goals. If you don't have a pilot, then you can find someone who can pilot and hire them, or buy a ticket, or steal a ticket, or hijack a ship, or whatever.... coming up with solutions to roadblocks is a big part of the game.

CT is a pre-Runequest game. Unlike Runequest (as an example) the skill list is not a complete list of what PCs can do, and the skill list on a PC character sheet does not define or limit what the PC can do. PCs not only can use several skills on the skill list ever without expertise (with rules as written) but can do countless actions and activities to move forward toward their goals.

Like Original Dungeons & Dragons the game assumes the Players will come up with actions and activities to,solve problems outside the scope of the limited rules in the text. (The 1977 rules text makes it explicit the skills are there as examples and do not cover all aspects of actions the PCs might choose to take.)

Starting around 1980 the expectations of what skills are in an RPG shifted. Skills lists are there to be comprehensive and to offload the need of the Referee to adjudicate situations outside the printed rules, and instead run all actions of the PCs through the rules text.

Many people coming to the CT rules post 1980-ish found them confusing -- because the expectation or what skills mean and are there to do in RPGs. But the fact is, the CT rules as written, if applied and used as originally written, work fine.

So... short version: A PC with only a few "Skills" on his character sheet is fine. That lists his expertise, but is not a full list of what he can do or try to do.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 02:44 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
And then there was early Scouts and Assassins. Whoo boy.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 07:47 PM

Gallery : 10
nobby-w Citizen+nobby-w Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
You should not mix characters created with The Traveller Book system and the system from Books 4 to 7. That would be a fast way to get a very unhappy player or two. You go with one or the other, not a mix of both.
[ . . . ]
I handled this on a few occasions by using the Megatraveller character generation system (with some skill mappings to reduce its proliferation of fine-grained skills). MT characters average about one more skill per term than book 1 characters so they're more in line with the extended systems. They also have access to the same pool of skills. Basic and extended characters can be mixed-and-matched with less in the way of balance issues. If you feel the need to limit skill sprawl then you can cap the characters at (say) 4 terms. There are also character generators for about half a dozen other services scattered through various JTAS articles.

Last edited by nobby-w; February 23rd, 2019 at 07:21 AM..
Old February 22nd, 2019, 09:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

wbuthod Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativehum View Post
CT is a pre-Runequest game.
I think I've just run across my first RPG equivalent of, "No, no... rock-n-roll shouldn't be dated as pre- or post- Sgt. Pepper, it should be pre- or post Jimi."

I worked in YFLGS in my teens, and this is the first time I've heard that insight stated quite that way.

Bravo.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 11:48 PM

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuthod View Post
Bravo.
<humble bow>