Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old March 13th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
(snip) there are two named shops and a taxi stand. (snip)
Shouldn't it be three named shops, including Hunter Joe's Arms Emporium in Shop 12 on Concourse A? (I noticed that one doesn't appear on the map either, unlike Beans of Bohen or Areal Steak Joint.)
Old March 13th, 2019, 08:37 PM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Red face Uh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
Shouldn't it be three named shops, including Hunter Joe's Arms Emporium in Shop 12 on Concourse A? (I noticed that one doesn't appear on the map either, unlike Beans of Bohen or Areal Steak Joint.)
I, uh, spaced it.

Again!

Well one of these times...

Because I updated the diagram and forgot to include it. Dangnabbit!
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old March 14th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
[Re: starport customs location]
They were put there because airports, tickets get taken at the gates generally so that is why there is Customs & Passport Control at that point.
BUT... much as we may analogize them to airports or seaports, really starports are neither. Customs processing in airports is located where it is to serve a purpose. Likewise, customs processing at starport will be located to serve its purpose, which is to control access across the extrality line between the starport (Imperial jurisdiction) and outside (local jurisdiction). Location shown does not serve that purpose, and increases unnecessary handling of persons going only from one part of the starport to another, and not going Outside.

Why would the starport want to process crewmembers from a parked starship every time they want to go eat at one of the starport restaurants? And then again when they return to their Ship? Excessive processing leads to just waving people through, which leads to sloppy processing in general.

(BTW, location shown on diagram isn't really comparable to customs processing at airports, which for persons tends to be somewhat out of the way so that they can only herd people through that are departing or arriving on a specific international flight. What this diagram shows, apparently covering everyone going to/from the landing fields and berths, is more like TSA security post-9/11, which processes everyone wanting to go to the gate areas, but doesn't check passports or visas.)

Please think about the purpose/function of starport customs and reconsider placement.

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old March 16th, 2019, 05:18 PM

77topaz Citizen

Bump? There's a question in my latest post SpaceBadger could respond to, and Magnus's latest post has something for SanDragon to respond to.
Old March 17th, 2019, 04:43 AM

Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool Hey folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
BUT... much as we may analogize them to airports or seaports, really starports are neither. Customs processing in airports is located where it is to serve a purpose. Likewise, customs processing at starport will be located to serve its purpose, which is to control access across the extrality line between the starport (Imperial jurisdiction) and outside (local jurisdiction). Location shown does not serve that purpose, and increases unnecessary handling of persons going only from one part of the starport to another, and not going Outside.

Why would the starport want to process crewmembers from a parked starship every time they want to go eat at one of the starport restaurants? And then again when they return to their Ship? Excessive processing leads to just waving people through, which leads to sloppy processing in general.

(BTW, location shown on diagram isn't really comparable to customs processing at airports, which for persons tends to be somewhat out of the way so that they can only herd people through that are departing or arriving on a specific international flight. What this diagram shows, apparently covering everyone going to/from the landing fields and berths, is more like TSA security post-9/11, which processes everyone wanting to go to the gate areas, but doesn't check passports or visas.)

Please think about the purpose/function of starport customs and reconsider placement.
Okay, first off two things: kidney stones and blood, they've been keeping me occupied so sorry about the late responses not been up to snuff this week.

Now as to the placement of Customs and Passport Control, I did think about where to place it and in the end the vibe I was going for is medium sized city airport so yeah, no one past the gates without clearing C&P. It is also why there are shops in the concourses and storage next to them as well. The idea is that the main Terminal is open to the world's people to visit without the security hassle of trying to board a starship.

It was done to discourage Travellers from wandering back and forth between the world and their vessel. It is designed to keep them on one side of the line or another. Either stay inside the XT line or visit the world but none of this wandering back and forth between the two. Your starship isn't a hotel, those are across the way.

So, yeah in my head it makes perfect sense. It lets the locals visit the port and use the shops and restaurants and cuts the need for more paperwork for the locals as well.

Or at least that was the thinking...
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 17th, 2019, 07:15 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

But that would mean that the XT line is at the customs checkpoints, so the starport concourse with the shops and storage is actually subject to local law, which makes Travellers' personal weapons illegal before they get a chance to put them in storage and buy some alternative protection that meets local requirements.

There are good reasons that in the Third Imperium the XT line was around the starport, making the whole starport an Imperial enclave. Discussed in JTAS #7 and in GT: Starports (even when not using GT rules, the books supply excellent fluff). Things are apparently different in the PI (it's your TU)

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; March 17th, 2019 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: GT:
Old March 17th, 2019, 08:26 AM

77topaz Citizen

I think SpaceBadger's arguments make more sense here; i.e. that the entire starport or at least most of it would be inside the XT line, for the reasons he points out. For the locals, there is always a startown surrounding the starport - Ryersville, in this case.
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:20 PM

Arrow So before I hit the rack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
I think SpaceBadger's arguments make more sense here; i.e. that the entire starport or at least most of it would be inside the XT line, for the reasons he points out. For the locals, there is always a startown surrounding the starport - Ryersville, in this case.
Ryersvillians wouldn't be to pleased to hear that. To them Startown is small zone of the city itself. But they pride themselves in being a capital city before there was a startown. A look at history will reveal Bohen was a colony founded just before the Great War and didn't get a starport until some time later and it wasn't much more than a Class D at the time. Their own infrastructure work got it upgraded to a Class around 0010 PI. So technically the city predates the starport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
But that would mean that the XT line is at the customs checkpoints, so the starport concourse with the shops and storage is actually subject to local law, which makes Travellers' personal weapons illegal before they get a chance to put them in storage and buy some alternative protection that meets local requirements.

There are good reasons that in the Third Imperium the XT line was around the starport, making the whole starport an Imperial enclave. Discussed in JTAS #7 and in GT: Starports (even when not using GT rules, the books supply excellent fluff). Things are apparently different in the PI (it's your TU)
It is different on this world. Other worlds may have different rules and regs, but for Bohen they treat the Terminal as Bohen territory and the Concourses and Flight Lines as the true Imperial territory and if you look at their charter with the current Imperium it lets them do that. The fact that Bohen prides itself on being the site of The Emperor's Return to the Far Stars (which it was) means they are much friendlier terms than some worlds.

Plus the Terminal is common meeting place, it functions as a pseudo-town square.

Hopefully that clears up a few things.

Oh and Rumor has it that by Terran-style beef what they mean is the carniculture starters are based on ancient Terran genestocks. But you know Rumors.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 22nd, 2019, 11:08 PM

Question *bumpity-bump*

Soo, what's going on people?

Ref thought some PC interaction stuff was happening and then nothing.

Oh and to 77topaz, part of your upcoming mission is to check and report changes in those UWP numbers for the reasons you cited on the Far Stars chart gallery post.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 26th, 2019, 05:27 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Question What Combat System, Weapons, etc?

I was going to write up some gear and weapons, such as those various kinds of stunners we might be buying soon. I thought I would either find some useable examples or at least something close in the T5 book, and if it was only close but not quite right I'd happily modify it as I thought necessary and submit for approval by Magnus. Then I got into my T5 PDF for the first time in several years and found... problems.

First off, I pushed my headache level up to 9 trying to comprehend the T5 combat system. I had to quit for the night, but the next day tried looking for help here on CotI and found, well, lets be kind and just say a variety of opinions, including that T5 has two combat systems so you can choose how detailed you want, or two systems but only one is actually workable, or no workable combat system at all.

So, Magnus, I know we're supposed to be playing T5 here, but could you please advise what personal combat system we are actually gonna be using? And maybe give examples of a few weapons, like maybe those "stunners": wire-dart taser, contact "electric shaver", and neurostunner pistol?

And are we supposed to use the pricing of example equipment from T5 to guesstimate prices if converting other items of equipment not listed, or the Thingmaker?

Whew! [wipes forehead]

My Old Stuff (2013-14)