Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old August 26th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
boomslang Citizen
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwapTED View Post
Cool. I was looking for something like that.

Ditto the MongTrav reference shared by McPerth.
I generally go with a default LL of 4, so that the starport security guards with their SMGs and autocarbines are not outgunned by default, and then add a "gun case" exception that weapons being transported within the starport in sealed containers designed for that purpose are not being personally "carried" per se and are considered "goods" instead.

Until/unless they are removed from their carry cases, of course.
Old August 27th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

There was something like this discussed in this thread, though it started from a different tangent.

It seems to me that YTU likely varies from person to ref to random sophont turning up at a convention, but some things seem to be more consistent:

1. Starports are run by the Starport Authority
2. The Starport Authority is not managed by planetary authorities.

In YTU there's lots of scope for variation. I really like the posts made about how starship weapons could be managed at a starport.

For my part, I can't see how it's possible to generalise that a starport would be a place where there are few to no weapon restrictions and crew can wander about heavily armed. In a place where there's voluminous amounts of volatile chemicals, high value goods and sophonts, and it's all taking place in an area which commonly answers primarily to Imperial authorities, to my mind high law levels would be more likely. I don't see that as a way of dampening the mayhem that PCs could cause or be subject to, just that they need to be more creative and careful if that's their intent.

Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar

Old August 27th, 2018, 03:04 PM

Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

I think it was the other thread, but I really liked the notion that starports have a "open carry blade and a handgun" mentality - plus the option for shotguns or carbines around your ship.

So I think that my internal default for starport LL is like a 5.5, with the starport security being equipped at LL 4.

D.
Medal for Conspicuous Gallantry - The Pursuits at Menorb
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+
Old August 28th, 2018, 02:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

The following quote comes from T4, but is consistent with earlier editions regarding the Law Level at star ports.

Quote:
In nearly all cases, a planet will consider a starport to be extraterritorial, therefore not subject to local law, though strict entrance and exit controls may still be enforced.
My view is that would be the case within the Imperium with respect to member planets. For non-Imperium planets, I question if that would be the case. I cannot see the Sword Worlds giving star ports extraterritorial rights, nor the Darrians. For independent planets outside of the Imperium, local control of the star port would be a way of demonstrating their independence.

I am not sure about the Solomani area, but I doubt if the Vargr, K'kree, or Aslan would allow any extraterritoriality for a star port The Law Level on Vargr worlds is apt to be a bit loose anyway, given the fragmentation of the Vargr. Asteroid Belts would be another area of questionable validity, as you are apt to have several space ports spread out through the belt

With respect to the star port on Fulacin covered in Adventure 3: Twilight's Peak, it actually is run by the Zhodani, and not the Imperium Starport Authority. While the UWP code shows a "0" for Law Level, in reality the Law Level would be whatever the Zhodani desired, both on the planet and at the star port.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 28th, 2018, 03:40 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

The Zhodani are secretly running the starport - a civilian ship wouldn't notice the difference. A free trader crew wouldn't be met by everything they would expect at starport.

There are not big signs all over saying secret Zhodani base please do not report.
Old August 28th, 2018, 04:52 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
There are not big signs all over saying secret Zhodani base please do not report.

I can just see those signs too...

The 40th Fleet's 51st Pioneer Construction Battalion welcomes you to Tloql Sector Secret Advance Base Fulacin. Please pardon our dust while we expand. Project completion scheduled for 187-1107.

Imperial Credits not accepted.

Be sure to visit the Tavrchedl'.

No open carry if you please.

Some parties will only pay attention to the last sign and not the three preceding it!
Old August 28th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Oatateb kowaaabsaepas atawwebpatta! Ha ha ha...

(That's Bwap for "carry your starship in a sealed container [irony]")
Tools Link
Old August 29th, 2018, 01:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
I can just see those signs too...

The 40th Fleet's 51st Pioneer Construction Battalion welcomes you to Tloql Sector Secret Advance Base Fulacin. Please pardon our dust while we expand. Project completion scheduled for 187-1107.

Imperial Credits not accepted.

Be sure to visit the Tavrchedl'.

No open carry if you please.

Some parties will only pay attention to the last sign and not the three preceding it!
Or they [fnord] might not be consciously aware that those [fnord] signs exist....
Old August 29th, 2018, 03:00 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Generally, I assume a star port Law Level of around 4 or so, with the added proviso that there is no combat or battle armor worn. Also, my concept of cloth armor is closer to that of the current body armor worn by police, so it is not exactly easy to conceal. People wearing body armor do tend to attract attention.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 29th, 2018, 06:51 PM

Gallery : 9
nobby-w Citizen+nobby-w Citizen+

I like the imagery of a gunslinger with his trusty blaster so I have a soft spot for the aesthetics of an Imperial controlled starport with (by and large) fairly lax controls on armed riffraff.

You could say that the starport system within the Imperium is subject to Imperial laws on weapons, which really don't cover anything but WMD's. Because of the extra-territoriality treaties, local laws don't apply by default. Therefore, it is technically legal to tromp around the starport in your battledress and fusion gun, as there is actually no Imperial law that precludes you from doing it.

However, the starport's management could be well within their remit to impose local policy or politely-but-firmly ask the party to put their battle dress away as they're spooking the locals. Convention might be to allow carrying sidearms (LL4) but this is not set in stone. If there was, for example, a terrorist scare management could change that policy temporarily or permanently.

In the case of a class C/D starport on a backwater world on the frontier, there might never have been any incidents beyond the odd drunk crew member getting into a brawl. In this case the issue might never come up.