Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old April 15th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
Ahmad Romanov Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
A way to resolve the stat tank issue is to force the players to role play the character in order to get the DMs.

No role play, no bonus.
The way I ran it during the campaign was that role-play determined the difficulty, not the DMs. So the DMs were fixed... a character with good persuasion was always going to be the most persuasive. But if they were trying to persuade someone to risk his life, then the difficulty would be much higher than if they were just trying to persuade him to look the other way. This applied to everything, so the players had to sit and think of the BEST way to accomplish their goals in order to get a good difficulty (i.e. safe and not hazardous, routine and not difficult/formidable, quick and not time-consuming).

Again though, my players are not super into roleplaying. They seem to enjoy a good story setup, but they would rather resolve things with their character sheet and thinking-caps, not funny voices and emotions. Making one of my players role-play to get the bonuses that are written in dried ink on their character sheets would be a good way to kill the game, fast, and probably permanently lose a player in the process. That might just be my players, though!

As far as telling them the difficulty or not... I don't really see the difference. You can have tension whether or not you know what your target number is. If I need to roll a 20 on a 20-sided die, I think I'd want to know that... it would be a lot more tense than simply "uh, you need to roll high." For the record, I DID always tell them the difficulty during my game. In any case, situations where you shouldn't know the precise result of the test are handled with "uncertain" tasks in MegaTraveller. Works great when it is all automated by macros! We had a number of uncertain tasks and I personally really enjoyed them. I had fun seeing the players look for other ways to confirm what they heard from one informant, or what their sensors reported back to them... the way my macro worked is that the players would take a task roll as normal and then it would automatically append a line that said "The outcome is uncertain..." to let them know that they should be rightfully paranoid about what I tell them next...

Again, the problem I think is that all the fun mechanical stuff was on my side (and the lack of any incremental advancement, which is true for all Traveller games). I really do want to qualify all these complaints that I had more fun running MegaTraveller than any other game in recent memory. It's an absolutely terrific game. It just didn't gel with my players and so sadly I doubt I will get another chance to run it.

Last edited by Ahmad Romanov; April 15th, 2018 at 01:24 PM..
Old April 15th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
So, in MT, a player doesn't know if he's rolling an Easy task or a Difficult one?
should they?
Old April 15th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
Ahmad Romanov Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
So, in MT, a player doesn't know if he's rolling an Easy task or a Difficult one?
should they?
Well, according to the rulebook, they do...

Of course, if you paid for the game, you have every right to play it as you please.
Old April 15th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
should they?
IMO, most of the time. Not always.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 16th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
Quote:
should they?
Well, according to the rulebook, they do...
sometimes telling the players the exact difficulty level gives away an important background point. letting them struggle with something for a bit allows thought and discovery.

player with character with bribery 2* vs traffic cop: "routine, can't fail, I got this."

cop: "you're under arrest sir."

player etc: "what! what is this! ref!"

referee: "no no, you don't deal with me, your character deals with the cop."
Old April 16th, 2018, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
sometimes telling the players the exact difficulty level gives away an important background point. letting them struggle with something for a bit allows thought and discovery.

player with character with bribery 2* vs traffic cop: "routine, can't fail, I got this."

cop: "you're under arrest sir."

player etc: "what! what is this! ref!"

referee: "no no, you don't deal with me, your character deals with the cop."
Great example!

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.