Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 9th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Knight

Gallery : 0
doomhunk Citizen

Thanks @Orr and @SpinwardScout I'm definitely going to buy this, thanks for the useful extra information!
Old April 9th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Orr Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomhunk View Post
Thanks @Orr and @SpinwardScout I'm definitely going to buy this...

Glad to help and you're sure to get a lot out of it even if you don't run the adventure "straight".
Old April 9th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Knight

doomhunk Citizen

I've literally just virtually (lol) allocated my budget for RPGs in the rest of 2018 to Traveller. Dang. I've worked out that I can afford to get Pirates of Drinax and The Great Rift in dead tree format after some clients pay their invoices. I'm literally working to feed my Traveller habit. It feels great though :-) Nothing like a bit of retail therapy from time to time. Add to that some of the Reach Adventures, Pirate adventures, and Great Rift adventures, and I need to look at also buying a new shelf unit too. I wish anagathics were real... sigh... so much Traveller goodness, so little time...
Old April 9th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
...I'm literally working to feed my Traveller habit.
I've been doing that since 1980...

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old April 10th, 2018, 04:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
so much Traveller goodness, so little time...
Speaking as the developer/publisher, we feel that acutely - there is so much ground (spacetime) to cover, we do wonder how much of it we will get to publish...
Old April 10th, 2018, 08:54 AM
Knight

doomhunk Citizen

Just purchased it as a pdf and I am currently reading through it.

My first thoughts are that MJD is one of my favourite Traveller writers and this product only strengthens that view. Really enjoying what I am reading - my only wish is that it were longer, more detailed. Heck I'd pay more money for more content! :-)

My second thoughts are that proofreading still needs to be done - even if just on the pdf version. A lot of 'Egryn' typos, and even a 'Pa'na' instead of 'Pa'an' on the map of the Amuar's journey, just from skimming through.

I can live with the typos. I couldn't live without this product, it is exactly what I was looking for to assist with my Leviathan SOLO campaign using the Cepheus Engine.

Up until recently I had given the Mongoose products no more than a cursory glance because I have already got too many versions of Traveller.

I am happy to say (although my bank manager will disagree) that I am seeing vast amounts of high quality content (content is first rate - production values could be higher) and I have changed my mind about Mongoose products.

I'm going to be buying the physical versions of a lot of the Mongoose product line in the next few weeks once clients have paid me. Especially Pirates of Drinax and The Great Rift.

Although personally they feel expensive after years of buying cheaper pdfs, and I have a couple of reservations regarding production values (mainly proofreading (he said after typing 'proffreading!)) I think that the content is very high quality. I had the pleasure of borrowing a friend's Mongoose books yesterday and I have been taking a good look. I think that the quality of the content far outweighs any production and price issues.

I'm probably not saying anything new, and I realise that I am coming very late to the Mongoose party, but I'm really impressed guys. I tend to wear out my boxed sets over decades of play (I'm still nursing my old Runequest boxes of Pavis and Big Rubble despite them looking like ancient scrolls these days) so I look forward to wearing the heck out of these Mongoose Traveller ones.

I'm not quite sold on the new (new to me anyway) game system - I will probably stick to my earlier/hybrid versions of Traveller mechanics and just adapt where needed - but who knows, given enough time... :-)

I hope this didn't come across as negative - I think the production issues are a shame but the TL;DR is that ultimately I'm still going to place an order worth several hundred pounds with Mongoose next month.