Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old March 11th, 2017, 12:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Mithras Citizen
Default Solo - The Solo Roleplaying Option!

It's truly been years in the making, SOLO is a compilation of the different solo rpg techniques that I've been using this past decade to run everything from naval patrols to hunting parties, crime gangs and imperial survey scouts in unexplored subsectors! And it's pretty much version-and-edition neutral...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...c=newest_since

SOLO is a solo add-on for Cepheus Engine and the 2D6 SF roleplaying game that it is based on.

If your players are out of town, or you want to experience your own sci-fi setting ‘from the inside’, SOLO is the answer. This isn’t the usual collection of random word tables - instead it presents an array of game types and campaign styles that you can play solo, in the company of a complete adventuring party. Exploring new star systems? Chasing pirates in a naval destroyer? Touting for patrons on one frontier world after another? Smuggling? Planning interstellar heists? Operating a free trader on the margins of profit – and legality?

SOLO allows you to pick up your favourite version of the game to run the kinds of sessions that are normally reserved for a traditional group of table-top players – led by a referee.

SOLO includes:
• Copious examples of play
• Guidelines to ease the process of character creation
• Rules for inter-character drama
• The Plan: A single, universal scene resolution mechanic
• Solid advice on tying seemingly random events together
• Fast play space combat rules
• Checklists to speed play and help understanding
• A unique space exploration sub-system
• Star system creation rules
• Record sheets

You will be surprised, enthralled and captivated by the events unfolding around your player-characters. Can you shepherd them through adversity? Will their past catch up with them?

You – and YOU ALONE – will decide.

http://zozer.weebly.com/orbital.html
Old March 11th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

This is on my wish list.

I wonder how it compares to the Mythic Game Master Emulator.
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 0
Bravesteel Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
This is on my wish list.

I wonder how it compares to the Mythic Game Master Emulator.
I picked this up yesterday when I splurged on GKG's stuff. I'll give it a go and post a review.
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Knight

Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+

Picked this up yesterday.

I really like the Naval Patrol campaign, which is the bit I've read in most detail so far.

Looking at the rest of the book I'm thinking what I'd need to do is extract some of the tables and re-jig them to better reflect traffic IMTU, which is doable...which is a point in favor of the system.
Knight of Deneb - Reft - 2738 Cyril

Damn you gravity, you win again...

tc tne+ T5++ ru ge++ 3i++ c- au+ pi+ he++ so++ 0201
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Baron

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

I was curious if this was anything like Startrader which I have enjoyed quite a bit. Then, after purchasing it, I realized that this is written by the same author! So this includes the Startrader rules which are great. The other scenarios do look interesting...

At this point, I haven't read very deeply into it. I went through the mechanics but not the various offered themes without more than skimming them. That being said, the naval patrol certainly caught my eye and it looks like a really good system for generating conflicts and the like.

Immediate positives are the Star Trader rules obviously but some add-ons to them. The Relationship rules were already known to me. But the new Reaction rules are a great addition. In the same vein, the Good/Bad Consequence forces a continuation of the story. Jim Butcher (author) stated there were three kinds of scene endings:
1. Hero solves the problem.
2. Hero doesn't solve the problem.
3. Hero solves the problem BUT...

He pointed out that there should only be one scene in a book where Option 1, the problem is solved is used. It's called "The End." The Good/Bad Consequences remind a lot of that favorite Option 3... BUT (insert new complication).

My only criticism is that this isn't a system to play within a game of your choice. It's a game on its own. The book provides a mechanic for one-roll resolution to scenes. It's a decent mechanic and works well for narrative style. I only wonder how many people interested in solo play are into a narrative style... ;-)

And since it's best to end on more positive:

That being said, something like this gives the solo GM the opportunity to use any mechanic they want to... resolving some scenes with a single roll or going into detail with customary Traveller (or whatever game system) mechanics for a particularly important scene (or enjoyable). The book gives you a system but doesn't say this is the only one. So a solo GM can mesh/entangle the application in any way that they choose and alternate at a whim.

As an example, I used Star Trader to run a hybrid test for a Silhouette conversion. I used the relationships, events and schedules from Startrader. But I used actual Merchant Prince mechanics for the mercantile activity. And in the two "action scenes" I slowed things down to use the real mechanics since I wanted to playtest them. It worked fine. Slower than SOLO mechanics would but, looking back, there were many scenes that used something similar... "I'll just roll his Streetwise to see if he discovers it." One-roll provides resolution. Now, with Consequences, I can organically build on that without taking a break and thinking about it.

So, to negate my criticism above, a section in the book explaining how this could work or even just encouraging it would be a good guide for folks.

Another real solid is that, inspired by StarTrader, I started picking through the various Mongoose random tables. Mercenary tickets, bounties, piracy... all of these could be utilized with SOLO in a hybrid game.

I even picked up Campaign Supplement 9 looking for more random events/plot tables and the like. I can honestly and fervently say that SOLO is of more use for generating random events and plots than that entire book.

In sum, a solid product that is of use to a solo GM and a group GM. The tables, quick-pace methods and mechanics can be used in lots of different ways and can be layered on existing mechanics in varying degrees based on scene/campaign/GM needs and desires.

Excellent work! Best $10 I've spent in awhile! Well, since Star Trader ;-)
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

I Lulu'd this yesterday.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

The best solo product I've ever played was the solo mission (boxed set) for the old 1980's James Bond 007 RPG by Victory Games. I've played a few solo adventures for a couple of games, but this one really nailed it. It felt like roleplaying.

It used a card system and an encounter system. You'd read a paragraph, which was your GM, and, you had options. You could play out firefights and action scenes beautifully.

For example, you may decide to go peek around a corner. Then you roll encounter dice. Maybe nothing happens. Maybe there's a guard there, and you get into a fight. Maybe there's a guard or scientist there that you can choose to sneak up upon and attack, or sneak by.

The game branches out in different directions and is never quite the same each time you play the mission.

I really liked it.

I've never played it, but I've often wondered about the solo play Lone Wolf series. Has anyone played it? If so, what's it like?