Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Closed Thread

Old August 16th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Unless this was adjusted by a later edition or another publication, the entry clearly shows eighty four decks.
In the new edition of HG, page 187/188 (186/187 in the pdf) it now has 6 decks...
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

simonh Citizen+simonh Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
A couple of people on the Mongoose forums commented on them and the reply was that it is an official change and that they were always meant to be like that according to 'discussions'.
Hmm, thinking about it I do seem to remember reading somewhere that the high-rise orientation was a screw-up. I think it was an interview, along the lines of 'Where did the unconventional deck layout of the AHL come about? - Oh we didn't mean it to be like that, the deck plan artist did it and it was too late to change it." That's purely from memory and I can provide no reference.

It would be interesting to verify it.

Simon Hibbs
Old August 16th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

While I wouldn't advocate this for every starship, I like it, it also gives a Star Trekkish vibe.
Old August 16th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
While I wouldn't advocate this for every starship, I like it, it also gives a Star Trekkish vibe.

*wanders back to the COTI board after months of inactivity*

not quite sure what you mean. do you mean the high deck count form the x axis deck plans feel more "star trek", or the low deck count form the z axis plans feel more star trek (bearing in mind star trek uses z axis planned ships with maybe 20 or so decks, so either could be true).

*disappears off in the depths of j space*
Old August 16th, 2016, 09:34 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

The elevator.

Imagine how many conversations and encounters you can have.
Old August 16th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
The elevator.

Imagine how many conversations and encounters you can have.
true, although "elevator conservations" makes me think of NCIS these days, given how often that show uses the lifts for discrete meetings.

on a more serious note, a x-axis "tower block" design makes more sense on lower tech ships, specifically ones without artificial gravity, as then you can use thrust to simulate gravity. its a common enough sci fi trope, and on ships too large to land on a planet, deck orientation is really a matter of designer reference.
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:56 AM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonh View Post
GDW published a version of the AHL. Mongoose have published a version of the AHL.
GDW published it twice. The second was in Arrival Vengeance, years after the AHL box. Still arranged like a skyscraper...

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old August 16th, 2016, 01:27 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonh View Post
Hmm, thinking about it I do seem to remember reading somewhere that the high-rise orientation was a screw-up. I think it was an interview, along the lines of 'Where did the unconventional deck layout of the AHL come about? - Oh we didn't mean it to be like that, the deck plan artist did it and it was too late to change it." That's purely from memory and I can provide no reference.

It would be interesting to verify it.
Wait, what?

There's, what, 14 deck plans in the AHL box? And GDW just said "Hey Bob, make us some deck plans".

The amount of miscommunication, lack of over site, and mishandling that would suggest is legion.

Especially considering the cost of the product.

I bought this game back when it was published, and it was $40. That's $116 today. It was a classic "Dad gave me some money" kind of thing, when I was younger, and had less of an idea of value for money. Today, I would think long and hard about spending $100 on, well, most anything. Especially a board game.

So, having these deck plans "just show up", thus making the game much more expensive than perhaps it should have been (if it, say, had half the deck plan pages). That's just hard to imagine.

Next thing you know, you're going to tell me that the way Traveller spec'd out it's missiles is completely wrong and redone…oh, wait.
Old August 16th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
They are in the new MgT High Guard second edition.

A couple of people on the Mongoose forums commented on them and the reply was that it is an official change and that they were always meant to be like that according to 'discussions'.
Then they haven't looked at Marc's notes on his original drawing... available on DTRPG.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 16th, 2016, 02:58 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

From the purely gamer's (and probably game designer's too) POV:

The AHL is 84 deck long.

Assuming 3 m/deck, that makes it about 252 m long

At the scale the game is (1.5 m per 1/2" square), it eould need an about 84 inches (about 2.1 m) map (a litle more, as it must have some margin). And still you probably would need more than a single deck map in a game...

How many of us have a table where it could be played it at home? Not me, for sure...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; September 9th, 2016 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: typos
Closed Thread