Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Agent of the Imperium

Agent of the Imperium Discussion of Marc Miller's Novel, Agent of the Imperium.

Old February 7th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
I liked TNE.
Me too, apart from the d20 house system.
Quote:
FF&S was a step in the right direction.
One of the best Traveller supplements ever.
Quote:
Looking at the fanzines they we're excited and didn't throw out abusive reviews.
At the time it was seen as breathing new life into the Traveller line after MT had almost killed it.
Quote:
More constructive feedback might have helped at the time. Hubworlds, Suffren, Vland and a few other spots needed there own products.
If GDW hadn't died due to the 'issues' it faced we may well have done.

Quote:
Let's face it. Star Vikings is a "what?" The entire transition from RC to a new government is a "what?"
I liked the RC and the smaller, democrartic polities. Don't judge TNE by what was written for 1248...

Quote:
For me T4 was a disappointment. I like Pocket Empires but the rest of it is buried deep in my Traveller bins. T5 makes more sense.
T4 had some real gems in its line - but I disliked the core task system which is why I will never use T5 other than as a resource for my preferred rules. T5 likewise has some excellent stuff in it - but I wonder how its sales compare to MgT 2e...

Which raises another question - will the MgT 3I sourcebook that is in the works use T5 and Marc's novel for background?

Quote:
The agent wafers versus Virus would make an interesting story line.
Wouldn't it just...

Last edited by mike wightman; May 14th, 2019 at 03:59 PM..
Old February 7th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Me too, apart from the d20 house system.
One of the best Traveller supplements ever.

At the time it was seen as breathing new life into the Traveller line after MT had almost killed it.

I liked the RC and the smaller, democrartic polities. Don't judge TNE by what was written for 1248...

T4 had some real gems in its line -
I should have mentioned. I use some TNE rules with T20. I focused on T20 because of the ease (in the south) of finding D20 players, and the COTI support. I have a huge time investment in it. I felt i was also supporting COTI by doing so and providing info to other refs. I probably would have gone 100% TNE otherwise.

MT fans are numerous. I think its another example of a product line that was full of untold stories. I just didn't like ship design.

Nope, 1248 was misdeveloped on COTI 12+ years ago. I play tested 2300 at GDW. I get the difference.

Pls, point out the Gems in T4. I liked pocket empire and someone mentioned the Psionics we're handled well. Anything else?
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:44 PM

Gallery : 12
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

MTs ship design rules are extra crunchy.

After a quick look into my T4 book, the natural maximum for psionics was raises from 11 to 12, and they have the Psionicist career.
Old February 8th, 2016, 02:00 AM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

It has changed my opinion. It makes me realize unsafe the 3I might be. Or the OTU universe as a whole. Or at least how ignorant Emperor Anguistus was.
There was a dedicated Quarantine Fleet and for the sake of economics/budget improvement, not improved response or safety of the Imperium or its inhabitants, they scrap a dedicated quarantine fleet. OTOH it may explain why the 3I is larger. Bigger risk takers just one disaster from oblivion? Perhaps a simple virus even. Hmm.

My questions:
How did the Vilani keep it together and they were only TL 11? Perhaps that rigid caste society had additional safety value? Did they have a type of Quarantine Fleet?
How do the other empires do it? These types of threats do not seem to be something only humans would have...
Why aren't the Vargr Extents a desolate existential threatening wasteland? The one robot threat, if it was just a few parsecs further coreward would have been a Vargr threat. How would the Vargr handle it?
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:11 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
Why aren't the Vargr Extents a desolate existential threatening wasteland? The one robot threat, if it was just a few parsecs further coreward would have been a Vargr threat. How would the Vargr handle it?
A hero arose to kill the monster.

Some call him....

BeoWolf.
Old April 1st, 2016, 01:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

Zephyrinus Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
The agent wafers versus Virus would make an interesting story line.
That seems to be where MTU is going as of last night.
"Virus" IMTU is turning out to be an android body based personality copy/ artificial intelligence that is simultaneously intensely paranoid, prone to violent suicidal "self-defense," and intent on creating more of itself. (The bizarre byproduct of the transhumanist agendas of a late, former player character.)

Last night the PCs in my game discovered the existence of these "Imperial Agent" quarantine wafers, and managed to get their hands on two sets of four of them.

They don't really understand how they work (none of my players have read the novel)... and they are currently thinking they will be able to insert the "Agent Wafers" into the wafer jacks in these dangerous "Virus" androids in order to "fix" them into loyal Imperial Agents.

That surely couldn't go wrong in any way.
Old April 1st, 2016, 01:43 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrinus View Post

That surely couldn't go wrong in any way.
If the wafer personality can over write depressed individuals or even psionic personalities I'd think it might create a bigger mess.

So, virus hits a ships IT systems and must certainly know of the wafers.
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old July 27th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Which raises another question - will the MgT 3I sourcebook that is in the works use T5 and Marc's novel for background?
Yes.
Tools Link
Old July 27th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

So at long last there may be consistency - they have finally brought balance to the force
Old July 27th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
So at long last there may be consistency - they have finally brought balance to the force
Well, them's the plans anyway, and we all know what happens to plans.
Tools Link