Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old July 7th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default Mapping the Local Arm

The "Local Arm" is the galactic arm, in the middle of which Charted Space sits.

I've traced sectors along the Great Rift rimward to the "Great Abyss" region (or whatever you want to call it) halfway to the edge of the arm, but haven't gone further.

Today, though, I started thinking about the rimward border of the local arm. What does it look like? A flat demarcation between "regular density" and "extra rift density"? Or a gradual but regular decrease in density, over the space of a few sectors, until we're in the rift?

I think I like to keep my options open: it can be like it is in the Great Rift with sudden "dropoffs", but could also be gradual, depending on what you want.

I also think that that edge is not a straight line running through the sectors. I tend to prefer that it is rather irregular, with sector-sized dips and promontories, making for varied and interesting "terrain".

Thoughts?
Tools Link
Old July 7th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+

Have you looked at the Zhodani Core Route? (Although Chris Lineham's site is gone the data is included on Travellermap.com.) That cuts across multiple arms and the spaces in between ... albeit without much width.

My gut feeling (based on no evidence at all) is that across a wide boundary, some areas will have sudden drop offs whereas others will have a more gradual petering out. And some areas where there is a sudden drop off may have higher than normal density right up to the 'cliff'.

Hemdian's Law of Ubiquity: If it's likely to be ubiquitous, then having a code is counter-productive.
William Durrant:
- Duke William Durrant of Patu (Core 0637)
- Count of Shakiiga (Core 2938)
- TAS Membership (named) - Patu (Core 0637)
Peter LS Trevor:
- Sir Peter LS Trevor of Yori (Spin 2110)
- Knight of the Domain of Deneb - Yori (Spin 2110)
- MCG (The Pursuits At Knorbes)
- TAS Membership (named) - Yori (Spin 2110)

- Dr Sir Peter LS Trevor of Yori (Exobiologist)
... Hephaestus Mission
(Others):
- Marquis of Piram (Dene 2116)
- Baron of L'Sis (Dene 0409), Mongo (Spin 1204), Knorbes (Spin 1807), Cabrini (Dene 0319)
- Knight of Marfa (Mass 2001), Alard (Forn 2307), Mora (Spin 3124)
- TAS Membership - Yllya (Forn 0705), Floinn (Forn 1034), Lysio (Corr 0815)
- Fifth Captain of the Imperial Guard - Sylea (Core 2118)
- SEH (The Pursuits At Alell)
- Commander (Lt Coronel) - HQ, 3rd Squadron (Lift Cavalry) - 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment
- Chief Astrogator (Lieutenant) BR Iirba - BR154
IMTU: ct+ tm++ tn t4 t5++ tg t20 th mgt ru+ ge+ 3i+ c++ jt- au ls-- pi+ ta he
Old July 7th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
The "Local Arm" is the galactic arm, in the middle of which Charted Space sits.

I've traced sectors along the Great Rift rimward to the "Great Abyss" region (or whatever you want to call it) halfway to the edge of the arm, but haven't gone further.

Today, though, I started thinking about the rimward border of the local arm. What does it look like? A flat demarcation between "regular density" and "extra rift density"? Or a gradual but regular decrease in density, over the space of a few sectors, until we're in the rift?

I think I like to keep my options open: it can be like it is in the Great Rift with sudden "dropoffs", but could also be gradual, depending on what you want.

I also think that that edge is not a straight line running through the sectors. I tend to prefer that it is rather irregular, with sector-sized dips and promontories, making for varied and interesting "terrain".

Thoughts?

Keep in mind that while the space between the galactic arms is of lower stellar density than within the arms proper, the "arms" are more an "observational" phenomenon than a purely structural one. The spiral structure is believed to be the result of a "density wave" within the galactic disc. Since the areas of higher gas-density are also naturally regions of higher star-formation rates, they appear "brighter" and "bluer" than the rest of the disk, where the remaining (older) stars tend to be dimmer and redder.

So between the spiral arms, while the region does have a lower stellar density than the arms proper, the stars have a much higher degree of probability of being dim red stars (and presumably white dwarfs), whereas within the higher-density arms where star formation is being driven by gas-compression, there are many more younger, brighter and "bluer" stars (which is why the regions stand out as visible "arms").

Theory:
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_wave_theory "
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_galaxy#Origin_of_the_spiral_structure "

Nice animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Us-jonCLA

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old July 7th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

@Peter: yes, Cliff's data is instructive. He uses a fast drop-off from standard density to sparse.

And @Whorl's note is an interesting and tidy explanation of what arms *are* and why the spaces between look dimmer.

It's almost more intense having a sea of sparse, dead or uninhabitable systems, than to have a lack of stars altogether.
Tools Link
Old July 8th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizen

Quote:
It's almost more intense having a sea of sparse, dead or uninhabitable systems, than to have a lack of stars altogether.
As an aside, another interesting thought (particularly for a campaign involving one or more "ancients" connections (either capital A- or lowercase a-)) that often get overlooked are the island-like Globular Clusters in the Galactic Halo (above/below the galactic plane). You certainly cannot get to them using standard Jump Drive (but perhaps using a Skip- or Leap-Drive you could), but one wonders what might be (or might have been long, long ago) lurking there in those clusters, staring down from above the galactic plane from a high vantage point, observing, planning, . . .

Globular Clusters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globular_cluster

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F

Other Awards
:
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Old July 8th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

And for my purposes, just identifying the sector of space I've worked is an interesting problem. How do I define its position? As an offset from Core Sector?

I think travellermap.com has an Imperiocentric coordinate system, doesn't it?
Tools Link
Old July 8th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog

Quote:
And for my purposes, just identifying the sector of space I've worked is an interesting problem. How do I define its position? As an offset from Core Sector?

I think travellermap.com has an Imperiocentric coordinate system, doesn't it?
Yes. The coordinate system is based upon the planet Reference/Core0140 as the Origin. Core Sector is Sector [0,0], Fornast is [0,1], Dagudashaag is [-1,0], Massilia is [0,-1], Lishun is [0,1], Vland is [-1,1], etc.

Simply decide the number of sectors "x" Spinward/Trailing of Core, and the number of sectors "y" Coreward/Rimward of Core, and call it Sector [x,y].

Note that Sol is about 190 Sectors from the Galactic Core. The Perseus Arm is about 50 Sectors Rimward from the Orion Spur (where Charted Space lies).

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Other Awards
:

Last edited by whulorigan; July 8th, 2014 at 07:03 PM..
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Lycanorukke Citizen+Lycanorukke Citizen+Lycanorukke Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
staring down from above the galactic plane from a high vantage point, observing, planning, . . .
....regarded this earth known space with envious eyes; and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans against us.
WoTW - Eve of the War
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

Quote:
As an aside, another interesting thought (particularly for a campaign involving one or more "ancients" connections (either capital A- or lowercase a-)) that often get overlooked are the island-like Globular Clusters in the Galactic Halo (above/below the galactic plane). You certainly cannot get to them using standard Jump Drive (but perhaps using a Skip- or Leap-Drive you could), but one wonders what might be (or might have been long, long ago) lurking there in those clusters, staring down from above the galactic plane from a high vantage point, observing, planning, . . .

Globular Clusters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globular_cluster
It is possible, Jump 1 or Jump 2 had been invented there long before it was invented in the galaxy... then they realized the galaxy was too far away for Jump drive to get them there. What affect that would have on their society could make for some interesting adventure hooks.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
So between the spiral arms, while the region does have a lower stellar density than the arms proper, the stars have a much higher degree of probability of being dim red stars (and presumably white dwarfs), whereas within the higher-density arms where star formation is being driven by gas-compression, there are many more younger, brighter and "bluer" stars (which is why the regions stand out as visible "arms").
Would the likelihood of the formation of gas giants in these be similar to in the denser arms? If so, then in the "dead" space between the arms it may be possible for "deep space" vessels to refuel on their way between the arms...