Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Marchand Marchand is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hinterworlds
Posts: 336
Gallery : 1
Marchand Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
Unfortunately for Mongoose, the quality is hit-and-miss.
Aye, but there are some hits in there as well - Merchant Prince as you mention; Scoundrel; the Solomani alien book and Solomani Rim sector book all spring to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Qstor2's Avatar
Qstor2 Qstor2 is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 551
Gallery : 0
Qstor2 Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Qstor2
Default

I'm just hoping the Hiver and K'kree books get done
__________________
"I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for The One. We die for The One." Marcus, Babylon 5
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Kilgs Kilgs is offline
Baron
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Midwest America
Posts: 1,100
Gallery : 0
Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++
Default

Agreed. There are some good ones out there but its too haphazard to simply buy them because they're Traveller books.

It's odd but one of the best books in quality terms, for me, was Beltstrike. I have no interest in mining, or campaigns based on it. Prior to reading that book, I would have scoffed at the notion.

Beltstrike should be the model for every career book going forward. It provided a perfect depth discussion of mining, minerals and the core tenets that such a campaign required. It was neither a tedious discussion or a pathetic dusting, it was perfect. It addressed concerns and issues with the type of scenarios that would be common to such a campaign such as vacuum and null-gravity. The campaign structure presented was excellent and made a concept, that I would have described as dull previously, into what could be an amazing game experience.

I may never use Beltstrike, it's not my cup of tea, but that book was worth every penny. It delivered on every component of a supplement.
__________________
"What's the point of watching out for assassins?" Floyt grouched. "The underhanded bastards are always sneaking up on us anyways."

Last edited by Kilgs; September 18th, 2013 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Incorrectly described as career supplement, not an adventure book.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
HG_B HG_B is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,049
Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
Agreed. There are some good ones out there but its too haphazard to simply buy them because they're Traveller books.

It's odd but one of the best books in quality terms, for me, was Beltstrike. I have no interest in mining, or campaigns based on it. Prior to reading that book, I would have scoffed at the notion.
I'll have to look at that one. On the other side of the coin, the new Vehicle book uses a totally different design paradigm that their Space craft design. Pick ONE and go with it. Bizarre
__________________
The shortest distance between two points isn't a straight line. It does involve precisely folding the graph paper.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM
pennshome723's Avatar
pennshome723 pennshome723 is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rancocas
Posts: 254
Gallery : 0
pennshome723 Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to pennshome723 Send a message via Yahoo to pennshome723
Default

I do buy it all, just because maybe just maybe there might be something of use within a book. Now I use my own In-House rules but that has worked well for me and my GMing now for 25+ yrs. I have always built on to my House rules and have a system that I know and like to GM and my players prefer using it over any of the standard versions of the game. I still buy the books as resource materials just the same and add them to my huge library.
__________________
Long time Old Traveller Gamer and Game Master circa 1976
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:31 PM
Shonner Shonner is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,232
Gallery : 0
Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner
Default

The Mongoose books shouldn't bother anyone that house rules anyway, which is nearly everyone.
__________________
April 28th, 2015 was my last day on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:31 AM
Marchand Marchand is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hinterworlds
Posts: 336
Gallery : 1
Marchand Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
The Mongoose books shouldn't bother anyone that house rules anyway, which is nearly everyone.
Maybe not for the rules alone, but the artwork and and writing are often eye-wateringly bad. Even in Merchant Prince, which I like, there are some grossly inappropriate and embarrassing pictures e.g. the one of the dude with the women on leashes. I dread the day my wife spots that one... broad minded she may be, but she will (not unreasonably) assume the art corresponds to the content. I find this all the more odd as the series in general seems pitched for readability for 14-16 yr olds, for what I am sure are sound commercial reasons.

I had hoped the Mongoose LBBs would omit the art but I was disappointed.

The production values, to me, are the main problem with MGT, but they aren't a show-stopper as there is treasure in there too.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 22nd, 2013, 05:19 AM
Shonner Shonner is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,232
Gallery : 0
Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchand View Post
Maybe not for the rules alone, but the artwork and and writing are often eye-wateringly bad. Even in Merchant Prince, which I like, there are some grossly inappropriate and embarrassing pictures e.g. the one of the dude with the women on leashes. I dread the day my wife spots that one... broad minded she may be, but she will (not unreasonably) assume the art corresponds to the content. I find this all the more odd as the series in general seems pitched for readability for 14-16 yr olds, for what I am sure are sound commercial reasons.

I had hoped the Mongoose LBBs would omit the art but I was disappointed.

The production values, to me, are the main problem with MGT, but they aren't a show-stopper as there is treasure in there too.
The art does correspond to the content. It could have been Jabba and Leia in another RPG. 8-year-olds have Jabba toys. And there's a dancing slave Leia in Lego Star Wars. I have a feeling I'm replying to a fake post.
__________________
April 28th, 2015 was my last day on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
aramis's Avatar
aramis aramis is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Anchorage, AK, USofA
Posts: 28,992
Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
The art does correspond to the content. It could have been Jabba and Leia in another RPG. 8-year-olds have Jabba toys. And there's a dancing slave Leia in Lego Star Wars. I have a feeling I'm replying to a fake post.
There are a surprising number of socially conservative Traveller fans. Many are put off by the subject matter of the art; many more by the simple low quality by comparison to industry norms.

I, myself, find some of the art in MGT offensive. Page 76 of MGT Book 7 is a slaver with 4 scantily clothed and unhealthily curvaceous females on leashes. It violates the decency standards Marc and Hunter set for the board! It's thematic to the chapter, but I fund that chunk of the chapter offensive as well. Despite my great grandfather having owned people, or perhaps because of it, I find it utterly inappropriate.

Several other books have scantily clad women. I object there, as well.

But most of the art in MGT is simply poorly executed. Book 7 is some of the highest quality art in the line - objectionable for content rather than lack of quality.
__________________
~ Aramis
aramis.hostman.us /trav
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Shonner Shonner is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,232
Gallery : 0
Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
There are a surprising number of socially conservative Traveller fans. Many are put off by the subject matter of the art; many more by the simple low quality by comparison to industry norms.

I, myself, find some of the art in MGT offensive. Page 76 of MGT Book 7 is a slaver with 4 scantily clothed and unhealthily curvaceous females on leashes. It violates the decency standards Marc and Hunter set for the board! It's thematic to the chapter, but I fund that chunk of the chapter offensive as well. Despite my great grandfather having owned people, or perhaps because of it, I find it utterly inappropriate.

Several other books have scantily clad women. I object there, as well.

But most of the art in MGT is simply poorly executed. Book 7 is some of the highest quality art in the line - objectionable for content rather than lack of quality.
That image is a bit abstract (stylized) looking. And besides, it's fiction. If I had a problem with slave trading or human trafficking in an RPG, you bet my character would be righting that wrong (also a fictional character).
__________________
April 28th, 2015 was my last day on this forum.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MGT Only: From T4 to Mongoose Traveller atpollard Mongoose Traveller 17 July 5th, 2013 10:53 PM
How would Mongoose Traveller and D&D 4E affect your Traveller gaming? Golan2072 TAS Opinion Polls 45 February 15th, 2011 08:55 PM
Comparison between Mongoose Traveller, Classic Traveller, TNE, etc. armor type Mad Russian Imperial Research Station 2 February 15th, 2010 12:05 PM
Mongoose Traveller SRD (When Available?) wothbora Mongoose Traveller 4 June 20th, 2008 08:49 AM
What I Like About Mongoose Traveller Echo Mongoose Traveller 35 April 30th, 2008 05:55 PM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.