Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old September 15th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
As for Doc doing things, As long as it is not critical life threatening and you can see what Doc was kind of doing, please play him along if you really need to keep the story moving.

At the same time as a small point about PbP, other than a few players, most are well over the min posts per week/day that is required.

My point about that is, PbP unless a set time is agreed upon does move at a slower pace with many speed ups, slow downs, hold a speed for a while and sometimes come to crashing halt (no posts at all for days or longer). It's the nature of the beast.

Oh, heck yeah, I think somebody suggested 4 posts/week for minimum, and you guys have all been doing way WAY better than that! I have no complaints in that regard.

I guess I was just kinda let down today that it seemed like over half our group was online posting this morning, and it looked like things were really going to take off, then... you had your auction, I guess others had other things to do.

Like I've said before, this is my first online game, and if this had been a tabletop game this was a scene where I would have been pushing the players to react quickly or lose some advantage as the bad guys are not stopping to wait for the players to argue over best tactics. That just doesn't work in PbP.

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post

[OOC: I'm sure in farming you have shifted enough 50-pound sacks and 40-pound salt-blocks to know that stuff gets tiring real quick.]
Aug 2012 and before, I would have easily disagreed with you as I was moving 90 to 100 lb hay bales daily/regularly.

It was not uncommon for me to have to load a few semi-trailers my self during the year since no help was available. It would take me 8 to 11 hours straight depending on the heat to pull down 520+ bales (90lbs +) put them into 8 packs, pick them up with a tractor then set them on the trailer. Every tier on the trailer (total of 7 tiers) I would have to move every 5th bale to make the trailer stacked correctly.

As for 50 lb feed sacks, one on each shoulder, walk 20 to 50 ft from the truck to the storage area then put the feed into bins. Not a problem Aug 2012 and before (and we are talking 20 to 30 sacks at one time.)

Since the 40 days in the hospital and cancer treatment, I have a hard time picking up 60lbs + hay bales from the ground to my waist. Just loaded 27 40lb straw bales this morning in the cool weather, took me 20 minutes (normally only 10 or less and that included tying them down) and I was sweating and had to rest for 15 minutes in the truck before I could drive out of the shed.

Personally, in HS, I ran 9 minute 2 mile races and under 4 minute 1 mile, could do 10 miles at 5 mins a mile in one shot, and did such regularly while in the Army until 2001.

Worked 18+ hours a day for weeks at a time doing the hay business (300 hay acres and just me doing all of it small bales).

So, the point behind it, Everyone's endurance is different. Heck there is a farmer's market grower around here who is 20+ years older than me and he made me look like a weakling. He isn't any bigger than me in size or shape. Just used to doing hard work all the time, all hand picking of the crops and he does over 400 acres of farmer market goods and farms 800 acres of grain crops too.

When I would get help in the first 2 years of starting up the hay business, 1/2 of the workers would not show up more than once to help load a trailer (they were paid well, fed and paid as soon as the work was done, cash in hand.) Some would quit before we even finished loading a single trailer.

So, I think my RL Traveller endurance was around A, B, or C
Now, I think it is more like 4, 5, or 6. I have to sleep 14 some hours a day. I am tired a lot no matter what I do, I can't hardly move 20 to 40 straw bales (50 lbs or less) without having to take a break and I will break a sweat doing it no matter what the temp is.

That's life.

And that is why I am more frustrated than in pain. Pain isn't fun, but I can deal with it. Not being able to do what I use to and I am not even old yet (50 is not old in my 'can't change my mind' opinion.)

Dave
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
*snip*
Agree with all of above, especially the frustration.

But y'know, I don't think either one of us went around carrying 40-50 pound loads out at arm's length, the way you'd have to do reaching into these containers - something heavy like that you lift up on shoulders as you said, or carry close to your body, or swing and throw using momentum...

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quick question to all still online for this: we are running into a section where we have a divided party and it could actually make a difference what one group knows and sees that the other group doesn't.

In tabletop I'd divide the group, send some out of the room, rotate groups, whatever.

Recommended procedure here? Go to PMs/email? Problem, anyone not Moot member has serious limits on PMs.

Or just keep on playing, and trust the players not to act on stuff that their PC doesn't know about?

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Well you have lost me for the night.

I am going to watch bits of the Miss American contest. I am really hoping that Miss Kansas wins. Tattoos, military background (and still in) and a hunter too.

Sorry, I do not normally watch such a obvious mind numbing like show, but I am really wanting to see how Miss Kansas 'stacks up' against the others, specially in the questions part.

Dave
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:

I guess I was just kinda let down today that it seemed like over half our group was online posting this morning, and it looked like things were really going to take off, then... you had your auction, I guess others had other things to do.

Like I've said before, this is my first online game, and if this had been a tabletop game this was a scene where I would have been pushing the players to react quickly or lose some advantage as the bad guys are not stopping to wait for the players to argue over best tactics. That just doesn't work in PbP.
Weekends are tough. All week I have to stave off the way I feel and by Friday I'm looking forward to being able to take my meds properly and let my body "cool down" after the on-again/off-again medicating I have to do during since I need to be able to drive and be semi-capable at my job. So by the end of the week I'm more often than not in rough shape and exhausted from minimal sleep all week and pain. Just in time for all the activities the kids need me to take them to and from, shopping, classwork I didn't get done but has a Monday deadline, etc..

I'm only partly here today as it is; drifting in and out while I try to dodge an incipient migraine and trying to figure out what to make for dinner. Unsuccessfully, I might add.

I had hoped my phone would help me do this remotely but trying to coherently type out posts on it is not working out as hoped. More often than not I feel like some ancient guy trying to program a video recorder and want to throw the thing into a wall.

I think PbP maybe works best when there are certain nights set up for events that need the players to be more available. Even if only for an hour or two to knock out some battle or puzzle that needs more than the sedate play the medium otherwise suits. Especially with groups with guys like I am who are not even always able to always "be there" at any time day or night in RL, pathetic as that may sound. I can always be there 150% once.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:17 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
And that is why I am more frustrated than in pain. Pain isn't fun, but I can deal with it. Not being able to do what I use to and I am not even old yet (50 is not old in my 'can't change my mind' opinion.)

Dave
I am soooo in empathy with you there.

Old September 15th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I think PbP maybe works best when there are certain nights set up for events that need the players to be more available. Even if only for an hour or two to knock out some battle or puzzle that needs more than the sedate play the medium otherwise suits. Especially with groups with guys like I am who are not even always able to always "be there" at any time day or night in RL, pathetic as that may sound. I can always be there 150% once.
I agree on setting a time for all to try to be on, in fact I posted a request for that a few days ago, but no one responded.

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was." Toby Keith (???)

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
I agree that 50 is not old - I keep hearing that "50 is the new 40"? - but I think I must have had a 50 year warranty that ran out, because right after that birthday was when everything started falling apart physically. (This TN thing that I have? Supposedly it is "more likely to occur in those over 50" - hit me in January, less than two months after I hit 50!)

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:35 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
I agree on setting a time for all to try to be on, in fact I posted a request for that a few days ago, but no one responded.
I did - I said it was probably a good idea.

Closed Thread