Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old September 11th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Another thought that occurs to me is how does someone actually steal this stuff? I mean, we just had a long discussion about needing special equipment and procedures to load these small, but ultra heavy containers into a RORO starship. Four guys are not going to drive up and throw a 20 ton brick into a pickup and drive off. So how could someone steal it?
Aye, there's the rub.

Quote:
Beyond that, this is a goldmine. They ALWAYS have precious cargo here and they live with the threat (and probably reality) of attempts to 'rob Fort Knox' all of the time ... when they mine, when they store it, when they load it for transport, when it is being transported. They probably have some experience that might be worth listening to for advice.

Quote:
It seems to me that hijacking a starship full of 'treasure' is probably the low hanging fruit for any criminal endeavor. We need to focus on CCC for the ship. That seems the best way to steal a fortune in 20 ton bricks and run off with it.
Good points; what is CCC?

Quote:
Just some thoughts.
Good ones.

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
One thought that occurs to me (in case we end up on the other side of needing to get from Jump to surface fast): How fast is a launch or ship's boat?

Could a ship zip a high priority passenger from 100 diameters to surface at 6G on a small craft while the ship lumbers in at 2G (or 3G in our case)?
There are small craft that could do it - I think one is called a Fast Boat? - but they are not common in civilian use.

Frex, your own Launch is 1G - slower than your ship.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Hampton saw this really old movie once, called Goldfinger......the bad guys used gas to clear the way into Fort Knox...a nuke was going to destroy it but Goldfinger didn't have a ship with a gassed crew waiting in place to take it with either. Just thinkin' outside the box in case the bad guys do.
Could be another reason to go "hats and tanks" or whatever you think the slang would be for vaccsuit sealed, helmeted, w PLSS.

OTOH, could just get you some weird looks from Nero V and his hard-hats...

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
Disagree on only one point - if it's an inside job (by a passenger), the Gazelle is moot. You just wait until right before jump, take over the ship, put in a new jump course, and *poof*. The Gazelle comes out at the far end, all alone and very sad because he will be in a lot of trouble.

(OK, I'm not really rolling on the floor, but they don't have just a LOL smiley.)

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Fortunately the ship is strangely designed to prevent such an occurrence so long as no one is silly enough to let a passenger out of the passenger area. We could even weld the iris shut and pump in tranquilizer gas.
Quite well designed, I'd say. Better than many official ships in that regard.

Quote:
Or better yet, gas them in their sleep, toss 'em in the low berths till we pop out of jump...then tranq 'em after thawing them out and tuck them in their staterooms.

When they wake up we have the alarms going off and everyone jumping up and down because we "misjumped", but luckily managed to pop out in orbit over Nexus so we are all OK and are about to begin landing now, thank you very much and please put on your seatlbelts. Huzzah!

You guys are cracking me up!!!

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
I did just think of this: we could send the passengers on ahead if we needed to for some reason, while we skimmed for fuel before heading in with the Son. Even at 1G the launch would arrive well before we did.
True! Somehow the math of that always seems counter-intuitive to me.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Sniper-platform: I'm no combat sniper, but I am a pretty good target shooter, and I think an aircraft of any kind would make a pretty crappy sniper platform, unless it had some way of holding perfectly still in mid-air, and no vehicles IMTU have that magic power.
It takes a skilled pilot and a skilled sniper to take shots from a helicopter but can be done.

If you have something like this (RL available today), it is done very easily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Wsy...layer_embedded
(40 seconds into video)

http://tracking-point.com/

Dave Chase
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
I was assuming something happened to the magic gravity drive. If you had to maneuver on thrusters, you would want a well-balanced load plan.
Like, umm, I dunno, if something blew out and you lost lift in the forward-starboard quarter and suddenly started flying a corkscrew?

No, wait, nevermind, Max fixed that!

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
I don't know that we have any thrusters, or for that matter that any we had would be good for anything but some mild attitude control in zero gravity. This ship must weigh an ungodly amount as it is so any backup thrusters would take up at least as much space as the M-Drives, not to mention the fuel for them.
The M-drives are reactionless thrusters; at least, they provide magic thrust without throwing anything real fast out the back of the ship, which is reactionless thrust, whatever name you want to stick on the machine that provides it. Somehow they also interact w grav plates in the underside of the ship to provide lift similar to what grav vehicles have (the only real reason for flying "right side up" when in atmo and needing lift, rather than just any old orientation you feel like). The most powerful magic thrust is directional, aimed out the back of the ship, which is why you fly oriented with the front of the ship pointed in the direction you are accelerating, and do a flipover for decel, rather than just flying at any orientation you feel like.

While we are at it, there is some vectored-thrust capability in the M-drives, just not the full G rating. This is what Hampton used (because he is just THAT good) to recover control when part of the grav lift was lost, and is also used (at very low accel) for docking maneuvers and so forth, when you want little adjustment thrusts in different directions without having to reorient the whole ship.

And to add a bit more of "how it works IMTU" the grav lift of a vehicle such as an air-raft also provides some vectored-thrust, which is what lets you "back into a parking space" if needed or make other fine adjustments, and in fact also provides the forward motion in most air-rafts - for speeders and some combat vehicles, some other source of thrust is added to make them faster than what can be gotten from just the gravs.

Quote:
Unless they are fusion thrusters, at which point I would argue for just dumping the M-Drives and using the awesome plasma reaction venting across the sky as an excellent bit of dual purpose technology: weapon and reaction drive.
No, we don't have those - as someone pointed out long ago - JTAS? - why have fusion guns etc if your drive is a more powerful weapon? Anybody that ever read any Larry Niven spotted that one right off. (I forget the title, but it was a short story of the first Human encounter w Kzinti...)
Spoiler:

the warlike, ultra-militaristic Kzin didn't do so well against the poor little unarmed pacifist Humans

On a completely unrelated note, is anyone else annoyed by how the autocorrect in this forum always changes "decel" to "decal"?

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Like, umm, I dunno, if something blew out and you lost lift in the forward-starboard quarter and suddenly started flying a corkscrew?

No, wait, nevermind, Max fixed that!
We don't have wings, rudder, or stabs anyway, so no way to recover.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Closed Thread