Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
Default off road version

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post
I like the idea of this, which might not be used with rolling stairs, but could be useful in frontier installations (D or E starports) without them. We see that with commercial aircraft intended for regional airports: they have built-in stairs, but will happily use jetways when available.

I would assume that either rolling stairs or jetways would be standard at any A or B port, and the former available at most C's.

The scissors-type stand is a good maintenance lift, but would suck the big wazoo for getting passengers out.

Old August 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Actually, in the ship document on p.09 under Ship's Vehicles, right after the forklift, we find this note:
Grav Lifters (two): Carried in Cargo Bay. These cargo-movers have a 1.5m square load
surface capable of lifting 500 kg in 1-G. They are designed to be steered by a handler walking
alongside, and control defaults are set to limit altitude to 2m or less (the length of the control
cable), but these safeties have long been disabled so that the lifters can be used (somewhat
hazardously) to carry loads from surface level up to the upper entry points of the ship, with a
handler riding up along with the load.
I saw these as a couple of pieces of equipment that rowdy cargo-hands might ride even if they are not supposed to, but I think they are a little risky for carrying passengers.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

But useful for baggage.

I can also see rowdy folks riding them in something akin to a buffer rodeo. (Though, that guy's a wuss for sitting down; you get a much better ride if you stand.)
Old August 26th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

I think most of the vehicles Dave posted represent equipment that a starport might have, but not that you would carry on board ship.

So what we have for the ship's passenger airlock is a piece that folds out to about 4.5m x 6 m, braced and sturdy, w railing along one edge. It is big enough for an air-raft to land, or for one of those starport adjustable-height vehicles or rolling stairs to mate up with, and has a concealed ladder that can be pulled out and lowered if needed.

If no starport assistance is available, and someone is unable to climb the ladder and too nervous to ride up on a floater, then the air-raft or Launch can be used to get them aboard.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 26th, 2013, 09:44 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Investments in Ship-shares
If any other characters had at least Cr100k on joining and would like to similarly invest in the ship as of the time of their joining, please let me know. For one thing, it will make the ship's current cargo a little more reasonable (I had to keep my thumb on the scale a bit to let y'all have a decent start, considering the broke condition of the ship from changing identification), and for another thing it is automatically a good investment at this point because the ship did well increasing the value of the operating fund from Egarnigun (Daibei 1223) to Devonia, plus some deals are available on Devonia that if properly handled should make y'all a pile of money for further adventuring.

Future investments in ship-shares will probably cost a lot more than Cr100k if y'all are doing well.
Max had 85,000 credits at muster out.
My original plan was to just spend it on stuff.
After thinking about this, the only extra equipment that I can think of MIGHT be a mechanical toolbox customized towards small mechanical parts (for his carving brass hobby). A high tech Dremel will not cost that much money, so I was looking for some idea how to invest the money in the ship or a speculative cargo venture with the crew.
I don't need Max to be rich and I don't think that I want Max to have more ship shares ... I do want Max to have investments/ties with the crew.

... so this is a general call for ideas on what to do with 80,000 credits?
... something that might include a link to an adventure with other crew that Max might not otherwise interact with regularly would be a bonus.

[For the moment, Max has a wad of cash* (or gold pressed lanthanum*) in the ship's safe.

*whatever form wealth takes during the Long Night.]
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
[For the moment, Max has a wad of cash* (or gold pressed lanthanum*) in the ship's safe.

*whatever form wealth takes during the Long Night.]
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Blo...3987&entry=603

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Two quick points:

First, congratulations SpaceBadger on your very own section of the board ... W00T!!

Second, about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBennett View Post
"99.99% unexplored? How long has this rock been colonized? Screw it. I'm just gonna find one of those shooting ranges you guys mentioned."
Hey, just drive past the city limits and shoot anything that catches your fancy ... if you can see a house or a paved road, you are probably still in the city limits, otherwise ...
... buckets of bullets time.

(strictly IMHO)
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Two quick points:

First, congratulations SpaceBadger on your very own section of the board ... W00T!!
Yeah, I just noticed that. I think Aramis must have set it up last night - Thanks, Aramis! One thing I have noticed already this morning, now that I have Edit Power over everything in our game threads, I have to be careful when I want to respond to something that I click "Quote" button rather than "Edit" button!

Quote:
Second, about this:Hey, just drive past the city limits and shoot anything that catches your fancy ... if you can see a house or a paved road, you are probably still in the city limits, otherwise ...
... buckets of bullets time.

(strictly IMHO)
As someone who actually lives in such an area, No, please don't!

Even if you think there is nobody around, there might be a house or some livestock or just somebody standing on the other side of that brush where you can't see them. Follow gun-safety rules, make sure of your backstop when shooting, think about where your shot is going to go if it misses your target or penetrates all the way through your target.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:56 PM

Visit atpollard's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Yeah, I just noticed that. I think Aramis must have set it up last night - Thanks, Aramis! One thing I have noticed already this morning, now that I have Edit Power over everything in our game threads, I have to be careful when I want to respond to something that I click "Quote" button rather than "Edit" button!
I had the same feeling when I first became a Moderator. It takes a bit of getting used to.

Quote:
As someone who actually lives in such an area, No, please don't!

Even if you think there is nobody around, there might be a house or some livestock or just somebody standing on the other side of that brush where you can't see them. Follow gun-safety rules, make sure of your backstop when shooting, think about where your shot is going to go if it misses your target or penetrates all the way through your target.
Hey, you created the world as largely UNEXPLORED! It is hard to find an Earth analogy. The best that I can come up with would be leaving a city at the horn of Africa and flying across the straight to Antarctica. Yes it is possible that I might shoot someone by accident firing indiscriminately about the southern continent, but the odds are REALLY low.

You seem to have created a world MADE for having a few beers too many, going mudding in a pickup with off-road suspension and shooting up the local fauna with a Ma Deuce (.50 cal machine gun) mounted to the roll bar.

Any place else, I would agree with you, but not here as described in the planetary description. He just needs to drive 2 miles (3-4 km) from the last building outside of town and the citizens should be perfectly safe. If a world that untamed has dangerous wildlife, the edge of town may be clearly marked by an electric fence to protect local livestock from lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

[For the record, this is all tongue in cheek. Please don't sweat any of it.]

Last edited by atpollard; August 26th, 2013 at 06:15 PM..
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

"Unexplored" does not necessarily equal "absolutely no one lives there". People (for all sorts of reasons) will still live outside town. You'll have to drive past the farms... and the ranches... and the grumpy people (the people who live out there because they don't want neighbors)... and the mines... and you still might shoot somebody if you don't follow that rule #3 of firearms: always know your target and what's beyond it and don't shoot anywhere you might break the wrong thing.
Closed Thread