Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 15th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
Doc sees what Captain Hampton is doing and speaks up, 'You can see my list of certifications at the port authority. They charge like 20 Creds for the sheet, but it is worth it, I guarantee it.
Thinking that over... Yeah, I think I can see that in the central, more organized systems, where they exchange data regularly on ship registrations and so forth, they'd include registered spacer certifications as well.

For out in the sticks (or in central systems that haven't stayed up to date) I think each spacer would have a datacard with certifications, showing dates of testing and certifying authority.

EDIT: Deleting this part as I changed my mind (see below post #125): Would also include annual and exit reviews from past employers (the spacer can delete reviews that he/she didn't like, but that raises questions about gaps in employment). Each certificate or review on the card includes its own encrypted certificate of authenticity; you can delete a review, but you can't edit it or fake it (unless you hire a very good forger and just make your own replacements).
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 15th, 2013 at 05:08 PM..
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

I would say that there are also some in physical form, just because (remember some of these folks are still Vilani). Spacers might carry a small wallet with their hard copy licenses and the data chip in it. (An old-fashioned wallet, a check-style, or travel-style - not a back-pocket style one.)

I think if you add a little more data into that information, you actually come up with a logbook. Though not everyone would be that diligent, perhaps.
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Possible flaw in the "Crew Does Maintenance" spreadsheet - where did you come up w Cr200/hr to determine man-hours of labor needed?

You guys work about 200 hours/month, and get paid $4000/month as Engineer-2+ or Cr3000/month for Engineer-1. That doesn't look like any Cr200/hr to me!
Yup, there is a serious bust in my hours calculations.
I'll look at it this weekend and fix it.

My intent is that each drydock worker averages about 2000 credits per month (some earn more and others earn less), so with taxes and insurance and all of the other employer expenses, the ship needs to pay 4000 credits per month per drydock worker. Four weeks to the month yields about 160 man-hours of work for each 4000 credits of 'Labor' expenses. So reversing that number, each 25 credits [about $100] of labor cost equals one man-hour of repair. With parts set at exactly half of labor costs, each 12.5 credits [about $50] worth of parts requires 1 man-hour of drydock worker labor.

I wanted it to take twice as long for the crew as the drydock worker (because all of my home and auto repairs take me longer than it would take a professional with all of his special tools), so the crew should need 1 man-hour for each 6.25 credits [about $25] worth of parts.

Thus my numbers in the PDF are WAY OFF.
But I can fix them.

It will also mean that those big-ticket items will probably want to be maintained at the drydock simply because of the staggering amount of time required (or huge number of people needed) - whichever way you want to look at it.

[PS: Although it occurs to me that a robot under the supervision of a skilled crewman might nibble away at the repairs ... a robot can work over 160 hours per week since it doesn't need to rest.]

Last edited by atpollard; August 15th, 2013 at 04:55 PM..
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

OK, here is what Fortunate Son has in the hold right now, approaching Devonia:

31 tons Standard Freight Ostia : Devonia (you were already paid for this at Ostia)

5 tons Electronics (TL 10 communicators)

4 tons Computers (TL 10)

20 tons Machinery (TL 10 computerized tool & die)

25 tons Light Metals

50 tons Wood

Notes: Thank Kalos's Broker skill for increasing tons of Freight without having to pay a port broker. In future, Max's Steward skill can also increase Passenger numbers, although this time I had already decided Passengers arbitrarily.

Spec Cargo Notes: I was going to figure the ship's trading all along the route heading spinward to the Deep, but finally just made up a die roll to determine if the ship's original stake increased, decreased, or stayed the same at each stop. Then I looked at the last few worlds along the list and figured out some cargos that you might want to carry into the Deep on spec, and rolled up cargo lots until most of the stake was spent, then filled up w some cheaper stuff, leaving the Cr25k in operating funds that I already stated.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 16th, 2013 at 02:37 AM..
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
I would say that there are also some in physical form, *snip*
I think if you add a little more data into that information, you actually come up with a logbook. Though not everyone would be that diligent, perhaps.
Yes, most would carry some physical datacard or thumb-drive or whatever with electronic record of their certifications, for use when port records aren't handy or aren't up to date. Each certification file on the card has encrypted authentication that prevents editing and is hard to fake. The individual can also add his/her own notes for the personal log that you suggest.

Thinking this over after our email discussion, I'm not sure I want to have a complete employment history that every spacer is expected to carry around, or have on file at the port. I can see that with abundant data storage capacity this would make sense, but it really creates a Big Brother uber-organized kind of setting where everything you do follows you and can be accessed by someone, and that just isn't the setting I want to run.

I think the spacer's personal logbook card is only required to have his/her certificates, and that is also what gets shared system-to-system w stuff like ship registrations, etc.

However, many spacers choose to also keep a personal log on their datacard, along with any recommendations or reviews from past employers that they choose to keep.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Quote:
OK, here is what Fortunate Son has in the hold right now, approaching Devonia:

31 tons Standard Freight Ostia : Devonia

5 tons Electronics (TL 10 communicators)

4 tons Computers (TL 10)

20 tons Machinery (TL 10 computerized tool & die)

25 tons Light Metals

50 tons Wood

6 ton lab
6 ton Model 317

Dave
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
6 ton lab
6 ton Model 317

Dave
Oh, yeah. Gotta remember those are taking up cargo space - but you don't intend to sell them, do you?

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

New blog post w Trade and Commerce Rules.

These require Trade Classifications to apply. Some of the Trade Classifications are different from LBB2, but are listed in the text. I need to make a macro to automate figuring these in the sector database, but for now I will just edit the Urlaqqash Subsector Data to add them so you can figure out what will sell well in different systems around here.

You now have cargo onboard, and trade rules, and a subsector map, plus a First Officer who has Broker-2 and Trader-2. If you can't make money with those, you deserve to starve!

EDIT: Trade classes now added to world listings in Urlaqqash Subsector Data.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 16th, 2013 at 01:37 AM..
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
New blog post w Trade and Commerce Rules.

These require Trade Classifications to apply. Some of the Trade Classifications are different from LBB2, but are listed in the text. I need to make a macro to automate figuring these in the sector database, but for now I will just edit the Urlaqqash Subsector Data to add them so you can figure out what will sell well in different systems around here.

You now have cargo onboard, and trade rules, and a subsector map, plus a First Officer who has Broker-2 and Trader-2. If you can't make money with those, you deserve to starve!
I forgot to mention, there is one issue in the Trade Classifications that I would like some comments and advice on before I do a bunch of data modification.

The classification for Rich worlds in CT LBB2 requires Govt type 4-9, but the IW stuff that I based this on requires Law 2-A instead (well, it was GURPS CR 2-5, but I think that is the Traveller equivalent).

Any comments on the change of focus from Govt type to Law Level? I could change it back; I'm trying to decide which way to go.

EDIT: Here are the Govt and Law factors to compare:

Govt 4-9 includes Representative Democracy, Feudal Technocracy, Captive/Colony, Balkanization, Civil Service Bureaucracy, and Impersonal Bureaucracy. Seems odd criteria for Rich worlds - why would a Captive or Colony world be Rich? What is wrong w Govt 2 (Participating Democracy) or Govt 3 (Self-Perpetuating Oligarchy)?

Law Levels 2-A represent degrees from some minimal law and regulation up to just short of totalitarianism. I can kinda see why either no law at all, or too much regulation stifling economic activity, could both inhibit the "Rich" designation. Not perfect, but makes a little more sense to me than the Govt basis from LBB2.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 16th, 2013 at 01:44 AM..
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Gotta remember those are taking up cargo space - but you don't intend to sell them, do you?
nope