Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrinkhues View Post
Clunky, Mega, TNE, T4 and now MGT. I left out T20 and GT since they are totally different systems
But supposedly describing the same universe (or one that's indistinguishable up to around 1116).

Hans
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
E.D.Quibell Citizen

Quote:
Clunky, Mega, TNE, T4 and now MGT. I left out T20 and GT since they are totally different systems
But you left TNE in? as it's a different system.

So it would either be the 4th (CT, MT, T4, MGT) or the 8th, (CT, MT, TNE, T4, GT, T20, TH, MGT (assuming I haven't forgotten any)).

Regards,

Ewan
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
mbrinkhues Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D.Quibell View Post
But you left TNE in? as it's a different system.

So it would either be the 4th (CT, MT, T4, MGT) or the 8th, (CT, MT, TNE, T4, GT, T20, TH, MGT (assuming I haven't forgotten any)).

Regards,

Ewan
Each his own but for me GT, T20 and TH are so different that they don't belong there.
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old November 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseMatt View Post
Except. . . it is not a rule. The book does not say that at all. . .
Yes it does. There's a table in the ship design section of the TMB (Sorry, I haven't the page reference, as I don't have the book) which says that you get two weeks of fuel for X tons based on Plant X (X being a variable, not a size description). I'll get it to this thread when I have the chance.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:06 PM
scrabble

Gallery :

Quote:
Question: If I have to change the book/don't need the book, why buy it in the first place? I pay a company so I DON'T have to spend time house-ruling. Otherwise I could have stopped buying Traveller stuff after MegaTraveller (The German variant of Clunky was even worse than the US version and that was baaad IMHO)
RPGs have always been house-ruled, and always will be. If you expect a system to work exactly as it is supposed to, straight out of the box, then I would say that your expectations are set too high. I have never, in my entire roleplaying career that spans over 25 years, purchased a game that I did not have to house-rule at least slightly before I was satisfied with it. And I would argue that purchased RPGs save you the time of making an entire ruleset and setting from scratch, but some minor alterations on an individual level are to be expected.

The same applies to most things that people purchase that they plan to use for a long time. For example, one does not buy a car and then leave it exactly as it is for its entire life; one can add decorations, or change the stereo, or add GPS, or improve the speakers. So why should I be forced to use (or be expected to use) the rules as written for every RPG? As long as house rules are set out at the start of the game and everyone at the table agrees to them, I cannot see how it could possibly be a problem.

Quote:
And as soon as you play at a convention etc. House rules will come back and bite you in the lower back. Same with new players in the group, new groups etc. "By the book" is the way and a game should deliver if the company want's my money (Obviously Mongoose does not get mine)
Obviously it would be preferable to use the rules as written if one was demoing a new game to new players at a convention, but you are the only person here making an issue out of convention play. In all other practical examples of gaming, house rules are fairly standard. Otherwise, the discussion is about fuel in MGT, not about whether house rules are better than official rules.

And I should point out that Classic Traveller itself has at one point or another most likely been house-ruled to death by almost everyone who has played it.
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Back to Jame's point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I also dislike MGT's rule about fuel lasting only 2 weeks...
It is what it is.

I've never found fuel to be a problem in any of the Traveller games I've played. In effect, the rules say you'll run out, but my players never have. And, if they ever do, they may still have choices to make.

I hope this is also your experience, but perhaps there's a situation your players or you as a player had to face where this rule was a problem?
Tools Link
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM
scrabble

Gallery :

Do we really need yet another argument about what is or is not Traveller?
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabble View Post
RPGs have always been house-ruled, and always will be. If you expect a system to work exactly as it is supposed to, straight out of the box, then I would say that your expectations are set too high.
But MGT isn't straight out of the box, is it? It's built on 30 years of prior development. And it has been a well-known issue for a couple of decades that CT fusion power plant fuel efficiency is unbelievably (and I use that word advisedly) inefficient. That's (presumably) why they changed it for MT, and kept it changed for T4. So, in effect, MGT re-broke something that has been fixed for decades for no good reason that I can see.

Hans
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:44 PM
scrabble

Gallery :

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
But MGT isn't straight out of the box, is it?
Of course it is. A new team of people designed it from scratch and it is also a brand-new ruleset. Whether they "properly" considered earlier work is another argument though (and which version they should consider the highest priority is also another argument).

But even new editions that are more directly based on a previous edition (e.g. Call of Cthulhu, or the old World of Darkness) often create their own issues specific to the new edition.

Either way, what people generally do (with any RPG) when they see what they think is a problem is to assess it and create their own solution. This is what "house-rules" are. People did that with CT, they did that with MT, they did it with TNE and every other edition of Traveller, and MGT is no different.
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Yes it does. There's a table in the ship design section of the TMB (Sorry, I haven't the page reference, as I don't have the book) which says that you get two weeks of fuel for X tons based on Plant X (X being a variable, not a size description). I'll get it to this thread when I have the chance.
But you can add more fuel - several ship designs in the core rules do this. It is only a stated _minimum_.

If you can, check the other thread. I gave page references showing this (and people are still arguing over something that does not exist. . .).