Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrinkhues View Post
The European "Standard fuel use" isn't a simple "run 100km".
Just sharing what I experienced. I fully admit that I might not have been fully informed since I was a high school student at the time and everyone considered me less intelligent, since I wasn't perfectly fluent when I arrived. Most of the time, however I was able to understand what they were talking about, even if I could not communicate my thoughts readily.

Quote:
Game rules shouldn't need house rules.
Yes and no. A game company can come up with a standardized set of rules. But a company cannot anticipate the needs of your exact group vs another group, nor should they. Any company should aim to make the most number of people as happy as possible. Customization to the individual group's needs should be the responsibility of the group. In an ideal world, there would be no need for customization, but we do not live in an ideal world.

Quote:
Book rules are less debatable.
You have never played Dungeons and Dragons with my friends. I stopped gaming with them because we were unable to spend less than 1/2 our time arguing about something in the rules.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises

Last edited by dmccoy1693; November 19th, 2009 at 07:48 PM..
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Gallery : 1
E.D.Quibell Citizen

Quote:
fifth incarnation of a game universe like MGT is.
Fifth? What? Appologies it's a bit off topic, but how did you work out that it's the fifth?

Regards,

Ewan
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
scrabble

Gallery :

Quote:
Classic problem: That's a house-rule. Game rules shouldn't need house rules. That's even more true if the rules are the fifth incarnation of a game universe like MGT is. And house rules are the most common reason for endless discussions at the game table. Book rules are less debatable.
I am an intelligent, imaginative person, and I see no reason to be bound to what a book tells me. If you prefer to do something differently to how I would do it, then feel free to do so.
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Gallery : 20
Madarin Dude Citizen

I was always under the impression the two weeks was under full power. so jumpwoudl be close to being a free week.
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madarin Dude View Post
I was always under the impression the two weeks was under full power. so jumpwoudl be close to being a free week.
Logically it would be. However, CT rules overlooks this aspect of the situation and require new power plant fuel every four weeks regardless. At least, I think it does; I can't actually recall where, though.

For an armed ship it's even worse. Fuel consumption is effectively based on the assumption that you're firing the weapons 24/7!

EDIT: Firing the energy weapons, of course.

Hans

Last edited by rancke; November 19th, 2009 at 11:28 PM..
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
For an armed ship it's even worse. Fuel consumption is effectively based on the assumption that you're firing the weapons 24/7!

Isn't that what everybody else does?

And not just energy weapons, I fire full salvos of missiles 24/7 as well from my HG missile bays of infinite reloads...

...but that's another topic entirely

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:21 AM

MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I also dislike MGT's rule about fuel lasting only 2 weeks,
Except. . . it is not a rule. The book does not say that at all. . .
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

cajon5 Citizen

JTAS # 14, page 25 has an optional HG rule about powering down. A ship can power down to Pn 1 (in which state it can't fire energy weapons and manuevers at 1-G). It consumes fuel as a normal Power Plant 1 would.
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

mbrinkhues Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D.Quibell View Post
Fifth? What? Appologies it's a bit off topic, but how did you work out that it's the fifth?

Regards,

Ewan
Clunky, Mega, TNE, T4 and now MGT. I left out T20 and GT since they are totally different systems
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

mbrinkhues Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabble View Post
I am an intelligent, imaginative person, and I see no reason to be bound to what a book tells me. If you prefer to do something differently to how I would do it, then feel free to do so.
Question: If I have to change the book/don't need the book, why buy it in the first place? I pay a company so I DON'T have to spend time house-ruling. Otherwise I could have stopped buying Traveller stuff after MegaTraveller (The German variant of Clunky was even worse than the US version and that was baaad IMHO)

And as soon as you play at a convention etc. House rules will come back and bite you in the lower back. Same with new players in the group, new groups etc. "By the book" is the way and a game should deliver if the company want's my money (Obviously Mongoose does not get mine)
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?