Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old July 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Visit dmccoy1693's Blog
dmccoy1693 Citizen+dmccoy1693 Citizen+
Thumbs up Foreven: Your Thoughts

Hey Everyone,

Just your friendly neighborhood 3rd party Traveller company here with a question for you. Not to long ago, Jon Brazer Enterprises signed the Foreven Free Sector Logo License. I've been pondering for a while, "What exactly should I do with it?" So I am pondering no longer and am going to take that the everyone here. What would you like to see? Some ideas I have had thus far:
  • Developing the sector one quadrant at a time,
  • A book of multiple ships from companies based in Foreven,
  • Fleshing out a few planets/companies/organizations at a time but in great detail,
  • A book of minor alien races, and
  • Fleshing out the major races (hivers, anyone?),

Do any of these interest you? Are you against any of these? Are there any others that you would like to see that are not on that list?

Before you answer, assume all of the following for the foreseeable future.
  • Mongoose Traveller rules,
  • 16-32 pages (maybe a few over, but I don't have the resources to do a 64 or 128 page supplement anytime soon),
  • Same timeline as the Spinward Marches book (no alternate histories or 1248 timeframe).
  • PDF and POD options.

So, what's your opinions?

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises

Last edited by dmccoy1693; July 31st, 2009 at 02:33 PM..
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Klaus Citizen

I wouldn't want to see the Sector developed quadrant by quadrant. That's a bit like a land grab of public space.

But worlds one at a time, or even subsectors as part of a linked campaign, corporations and other stuff could be good.

The best possible use of this license, IMO, is to make adventures and campaigns using all the acoutrements of the 3I.

I think the best outcome would be for us to have whole campaigns worth of scenarios based in a dozen sectors worth of space, letting refs mix and match.

I think developing the sector just for the sake of it would be a mistake. The beauty of it is that it allows you to use terms like Zhodani and LSP and Ihatei and Plankwell and IISS in your products, not that you can build sectors. You can do that anyway, if you make them generic enough.

Worlds and subsectors lets a ref put them in his own version of Foreven, keeping it a special players reserve.

The worst outcome would be for rival OGL companies trying to claim their version of Spica is the definitive one.

Another good use would be corporate brochures, like LSPs sales catalogue for the space craft they offer to the Foreven market.
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Sylvre Phire Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
I think the best outcome would be for us to have whole campaigns worth of scenarios based in a dozen sectors worth of space, letting refs mix and match...

The worst outcome would be for rival OGL companies trying to claim their version of Spica is the definitive one.
That appears to be Mongoose's intentions with the inclusion of the entire Trojan Reaches in the Aslan sourcebook. I'm sure (okay, hopefully optimistic)we'll see Gvurrdon covered in the Vargr book.

I doubt Mongoose and Marc would let a third party declare their version of Foreven as "definitive". We here at Hell Creek intend to make it known that our version of Foreven is NOT the definitive version. If people want to play in their own version or use our products for ideas, so be it.

Sorry if this derails the thread any, but that's our stance on the whole bit. I'm interested in seeing how you develop your version of Foreven, DMcCoy.

Pax et bonum,

Dale Meier
Creative Director
Hell Creek Sanitarium
Omaha, NE

Last edited by Sylvre Phire; August 1st, 2009 at 05:57 PM..
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog

I do not believe anyone has the right to claim that their version is the definitive version. Esp considering the license uses the word "official" twice, both in describing products not from this license.

EDIT: Like I said, I'm still deciding what exactly to do with it. I may just come up with a tech book saying that this ship was designed by the Vargr colony on X world or the suit is wide used by the Aslans residing in the Avalar Consulate and never get around to mapping out the sector. I'm not really sure exactly what I want to do with it yet.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises

Last edited by dmccoy1693; August 1st, 2009 at 06:00 PM..
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

I don't know if you've seen this in the thread where I originally posted it, so to be on the safe side, I'll repeat it here.

As you probably know, The polity that is now known as the Avalar Consulate used to be called Die Weltbund (which ought to be Weltenbund because there are more than one world in the league). Paranoia Press detailed the rimward portion (the systems in the Beyond). PP was later officially decanonized, so there's no requirement that anything they did be taken into account. OTOH, there's no requirement that it be ignored either.

(It's possible that the Weltbund was also mentioned in some still-canonical bit of writing, but I rather doubt it).

Anyway, my idea is to reconcile the Weltbund with the Avalar Consulate. If the AC is a recent creation at the time when it's documented in Imperiallines #1 (around 1118 or so?), you can have both. Furthermore, if the change takes place during the 5th Frontier War (a Zhodani-backed coup by Avalar and its allies at a time when the Imperium was unable to counter-interfere), you can have the Weltbund in 1105, on the brink of civil war, torn by rivalry between the rimwards systems and the coreward systems, a place ripe for all sorts of covert maneuvering and other shenanigans.

I think the possibilities for drama and adventure alone is enough to make this setting desirable, but a secondary consideration is that if there has to be a 100-system interstellar state in Foreven, a neutral-leaning-towards-the-Imperium-but-concerned-not-to-offend-the-Zhodani state would have a lot less impact on the Spinward Marches than a Zhodani client state. And we all know that Foreven has had no known impact on the history of the Marches.

Hans
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

My thoughts? better off not doing Foreven, since anything you do with it is likely to rub raw against what someone else does.

I much preferred the old GDW mode of local land grant licenses. JG having a quadrant sized lot... Brothers Kieth having a portion of a sector... etc.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:13 AM

Visit dmccoy1693's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
I much preferred the old GDW mode of local land grant licenses.
I'd agree. There are several sectors that I feel are perfect for development that (to my knowledge) have not been. Having said that, I am not exactly sure how interested Miller or Mongoose are in this at this point in time, especially considering that Foreven is there for free development. Perhaps when I am able to do 128page supplements on a regular basis, they might be interested. But while I am a little guy who's longest product is a 20 page character sheet, I do not believe that there is much chance of that happening.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 10
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+

Dear Folks -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
Anyway, my idea is to reconcile the Weltbund with the Avalar Consulate. If the AC is a recent creation at the time when it's documented in Imperiallines #1 (around 1118 or so?), you can have both.

Hans
Hi Hans! That's pretty much exactly what I did IMTU. (Well, apart from the whole Avalar thing; I did this in 1985, so my map of Foreven looks NOTHING like the Imperiallines dot-map... )

Think: Rebellion, writ small. Splintering into lots of little states (like the Islands), plenty of room for all sorts of PCs and campaign varieties, from traders to starmercs to the diplomatic corps.

(The net effect is that IMTU I will ignore almost everything anyone writes about the sector - sorry! - but I might snaffle a world or idea here and there in order to incorporate it somewhere in my version of the place...!)
- Count Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl, Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Coins:(#170) XO (Lt) FE Holmes, 154th BR Sq
(#222) PlatLdr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:45 AM

MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Speaking as a publisher, the first company to bring out a complete Foreven sector book will gain a very strong commercial advantage, and could go on to spawn an entire sub-line from that one book - potentially getting other publishers to write for their Foreven, rather than their own.

Just saying
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:58 AM

Gallery : 21
BeRKA Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
And we all know that Foreven has had no known impact on the history of the Marches.
I don't know that! If that was the case, then the Imperium shouldn't have such a strong military presence in the Five Sisters Subsector. (It cannot just be to control 2 mid-tech backwater Droyne worlds.)

I agree with You that the situation would be less problematic to explain if the Avalars were or have been more neutral, but on the other hand, there might be other reasons why the Avalars haven't been much involved in the frontier wars. (Think Spain in WWII.)