Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
E.D.Quibell Citizen

To me Traveller is LBB 1-3 and Supplements 1-2, as these are generic or original Traveller, what others have called proto Traveller.

Classic Traveller is everything else pre MT because this is where we start to see the OTU come into play.

Just MHO.

Regards,

Ewan
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke
I've played Traveller games with non-Traveller rules.
Yes, I'm sure, to me that would include, GURPS Traveller, and T20 but to name two.
I disagree that GT and T20 aren't Traveller, but that's not important to the point I was making: That whatever it is that makes one campaign Traveller and another campaign non-Traveller has very little to do with what rules you are using. You can run Traveller games with non-Traveller rules and you can run non-Traveller games with Traveller rules.

Quote:
Quote:
All of which you can have without any of the various Traveller rules.
You could put Battledress and plasma guns in any game, your point being?
That whatever Travellerness Battledresses and plasma guns add to a game is a setting issue, not a rules issue.

Quote:
Quote:
How can a definition of Traveller that excludes something that is clearly labeled 'Traveller' possibly be correct?
Reread what I wrote, its my opinion.
Opinions can be wrong. Flat Earthers are of the opinion that the Earth is flat. I'll reprase my question: How can an opinion of what 'Traveller' is that excludes something that is clearly labeled 'Traveller' possibly be correct?

Hans
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
Opinions can be wrong. Flat Earthers are of the opinion that the Earth is flat. I'll reprase my question: How can an opinion of what 'Traveller' is that excludes something that is clearly labeled 'Traveller' possibly be correct?
Because no one can grade opinions.
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Absent Friend

rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
Because no one can grade opinions.
You can't? That's going to be news to a lot of people. So the opinion of someone who believes the Earth is flat is just as valid as the opinion of someone who believes it is round(ish)?

In my opinion you're wrong.

Hans
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Quote:
I'll reprase my question: How can an opinion of what 'Traveller' is that excludes something that is clearly labeled 'Traveller' possibly be correct?

Hans

If the opinion is that the label is incorrect. (That's not my opinion, just a logic solution).
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Absent Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
If the opinion is that the label is incorrect.
Good point. I stand corrected.

Hans
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Baron

Visit Kilgs's Blog

An opinion is a personally held conviction. It does not require facts or reality to support it. Your opinion can be all sorts of different than mine but you'll never affect my opinion. You can prove the reality of your opinion (depending on topic) but you really can't ever say my opinion is wrong. It's mine.

It's like grading poetry or art.
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

beowulf2044 Citizen

On the other side, there are those things that are packaged and sold as 'Traveller'. There was a time I was fairly certain I could have had my dog 'Approved for use with Traveller'.
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Absent Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
An opinion is a personally held conviction. It does not require facts or reality to support it. Your opinion can be all sorts of different than mine but you'll never affect my opinion. You can prove the reality of your opinion (depending on topic) but you really can't ever say my opinion is wrong. It's mine.

It's like grading poetry or art.
I've just backed down from my position on this particular opinion, so I don't see much to be gained from beating that horse, but in a general sense you're dead wrong. According to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, an opinion (of the kind we are expressing here) is a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter; or a belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge; or a generally held view. That doesn't mean an opinion can't be based on facts. In fact, one of the definitions of 'wrong' in that same dictionary is "having an opinion that does not agree with truth or the facts".

Any opinion (or, if you like, personally held conviction) that isn't based to some degree on facts or reality of some kind is worthless. And the opinion that all opinions are equally valid is a pernicious fallacy.

Hans
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Baron

Visit Kilgs's Blog

Quote:
Any opinion (or, if you like, personally held conviction) that isn't based to some degree on facts or reality of some kind is worthless. And the opinion that all opinions are equally valid is a pernicious fallacy.
While I may agree with you in substance, the reality of opinions and whether or not they are worthless is in the eye of the beholder.