Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundby View Post
Until a short while I owned the 3 1977 LBBs. Period.
I find a lot of people who like MGT are like this. They have little of CT (they don't have extended collections--just the basics), or they have a lot of CT stuff (say, by getting the CT-CD ROM), but they're not familiar with it and never gamed with it (or, it was so long ago, they can't remember).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrinkhues View Post
@Supplement Four:

I don't consider Mgt as "flawed" or riddled with problems. But IMHO it's mechanics are no better and in some cases worse than MegaTraveller or TNE and it still suffers from 1st Edition sickness. And since I can get these two systems for the price of the Mgt basic book the question is

+ Why should one buy Mgt instead?
+ Why does one that already HAS MegaTraveller buy Mgt?
I see your point. You're saying that MT is superior and it's less expensive. I agree. And, I'd say that CT was superior and less expensive, by way of the $35 buck CT-CD ROM, to MGT as well.
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
I see your point. You're saying that MT is superior and it's less expensive. I agree. And, I'd say that CT was superior and less expensive, by way of the $35 buck CT-CD ROM, to MGT as well.
You won't be happy until we yank the line, will you?
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseMatt View Post
I hope you make him very unhappy for a long time then.

Allen
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Allensh Citizen

I owned Megatraveller back in the day (and hope to again, actually). It was ok. I didn't like the layout, the ship construction rules in my opinion were hard to use. Character creation was great, the combat rules decent.

Having said that, I prefer Mongoose Traveller because it is easier to use (I did not like all those flow-charts used to save space rather than actually explaining things), I like the systems for combat and ship construction, I find them easy to run. I like the addition of event tables to character creation.

It's cool that both CT and MT are available on CD-ROM, but a lot of people prefer actual books. And a lot of people want to be able to actually order a book or walk into their store and buy one. PDFs are fine if you have a laptop but costly to print out if you have to buy your own ink and paper. So a "living" game works better for me than a "legacy" game.

Yes, Mongoose Travelller doesn't neccesarily do anything that hasn't been done before somewhere in Traveller's history...but it does it in one place and in books my LGS can actually get.

Allen
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM

mbrinkhues Citizen

Sorry but the "costly to print" argument against PDF is getting a tired while having become mostly untrue years ago.We live in the days of extremly cheap laser printers and you can easily and quickly print a PDF these days. Even more true for the older b/w books.
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM

mbrinkhues Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseMatt View Post
Actually stopping to miss-label it as "Traveller" would likely be enough
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Allensh Citizen

Quote:
Sorry but the "costly to print" argument against PDF is getting a tired while having become mostly untrue years ago.We live in the days of extremly cheap laser printers and you can easily and quickly print a PDF these days. Even more true for the older b/w books.
I don't have a laser printer and the definition of "ectremely cheap" kind of depends on your income doesn't it?

Allen
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:00 PM

mbrinkhues Citizen

Not really. At 70€ the beasts are dirt cheap even more so if you are a casual user with longer breaks between prints and therefor need to replace paint long before it is used up. When an inkjet gave out (again) last June we checked costs, took into account we would get a replacement for free but only a partial refund (german laws are great ) and ditched the inkjet. Currently inkjets are actually costlier than B/W lasers.

And when it comes to costs the 3-5 Cent/page are unbeatabel as well. For the 20€ I'd pay for the basic MegaTraveller Books plus the 10-15€ Printing costs (35€) I get about the same value I'd get from the Base Book+Spinward+Mercenary+Highguard (70€). That's half the cost of a laser printer.

Last edited by mbrinkhues; May 7th, 2009 at 12:08 PM..
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Can't take a PDF to a printer and get a color copy for less than $100...
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM

beowulf2044 Citizen

CT has too many problems and contradictions. I'll stick with MGT.