Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old September 21st, 2008, 03:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
gcbright Citizen
Default Does Mongoose Traveller leave you cold?

Hi,

I just wanted to check reactions on Mongoose Traveller. I browsed the book at Barnes & Noble and it just didn't excite me.

I feel the same way about MGT that I felt about the first Traveller recompilation (from the LBBs into the more standard size book), it somehow feels like less than what I already own.

My reaction to the MGT $40 price tag was to turn around and buy the Classic Traveller CD from FFE. Despite having 90% of the material on the cd, it just felt like a better bargan for my $40.

Am I missing something, is there something there in MGT to get excited about or is it just a rehash with a higher than we've ever seen price tag?

Thanks
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:18 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I was disapointed in the word count for MgT - compare it with the Traveller Book.

It is layed out clearly enough and the rules are servicable (but my house rules are better ).

I think the pocket edition could be the ideal version of the MgT core rules though, closer in form factor to the original and cheaper to boot.
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
Zparkz Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Zparkz Send a message via MSN to Zparkz

There is basicallt three things that turned me away from MgT.

Task system - Never understood the reason for negative DMs based on stats

Combat rules - Looks interesting, but the initiative rule seems to be very fiddly

Starships - I never liked HG or any similar starship designs,. Too limiting, and armor values are not compatible with armor values fro armored vehicles.
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM

Echo has disabled reputation

Apparently the exchange rate between the UK/US is such that there has been price inflation in the states, for UK produced books. In the UK, the Traveller book was quite reasonably priced at 20, which used to be the equivalent to $30.

The pocket book should be a more affordable book at 10 (aprox. $25), and will be, in my opinion, closer to the style of the original game.

In terms of running/playing the game - I think it's excellent fun, and a strong development from the classic rules in a number of areas.
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:07 AM

Gallowglacht Citizen

Yeah, cold seems about right.

The rules are OK, they work, but my shelves are bulging with OK games.
I think the presentation is sub par. I honestly prefer the older Mongoose stuff, and would pay extra for better art and presentation. My first ed Conan and d20 Slaine see much more use than my Runequest Slaine (as that book had b&w copies of colour, detailed computer generated art, text disappearing into the middle and the pages themselves suck). It isn't even about the colour as such. I also have most of the Starship Troopers rpg. I read it and I want to kick Bug-ass. I read a friends MGT and went meh.

I don't HATE it, mock it or anything, but I feel no urge to buy it, or use it.
But I can already play Traveller with what I have so I don't feel upset that its there, I certainly don't feel betrayed or a sence on entitlement to something better. "They" didn't spoil my game.
Feel a bit disapointed that the SST line wasn't finished because they worked on Traveller (but again not betrayed), but Traveller is more popular with fans and better buisness for Mongoose, so the majority of players gained. Besides T20 can more than fill the gap for the Navy book, and the Skinnies book can be made up by myself.

So yeah, cold about sums it up for me, personally.
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbright View Post
I just wanted to check reactions on Mongoose Traveller. I browsed the book at Barnes & Noble and it just didn't excite me.
<Pulls the new guy aside to the edge of the alley>

"Shhh! You're new around here so I'll tell ya. We had a riot in here a few weeks ago, and it wasn't pretty. A couple of people went... missing. If you know what I mean. You don't know about MCP."

<Looks around to see if anyone's paying attention>

"It's Mongoose Compliance Police. Be careful what you say. The last time I said something, I couldn't use my CredCard for a week. There's people that still won't talk to me. My Mom looks at me funny. Just watch yourself - 'cause nobody else will. Ya know?"

<All of a sudden, there's a commotion down the street. Three thugs in police gear and mirrored face plates running towards them>

"God no! It's MCP! Run!"

. . . . . . .

Ok, maybe it wasn't that bad. We had a small flame war you missed all the fun in.
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

The price is the only thing that I object to.

I found the character generation a little better than Classic Traveller Advanced Chargen and MegaTraveller Chargen - which is saying something since Traveller Chargen has always been one of it's best features. Like the CT LBB4-7 chargen, and the MT chargen, I think that MGT has too many skills and generates too many skills for my personal taste - but then again, I would have reduced the number of skills in CT LBB1-3 as well, so that is probably just my personal crusade and would not bother anyone else.

I found the spread of weapon damages far better than CT. The old CT "Every gun in the world, from the .25 cal. holdout pistol to the .455 cal. big game rifle, does 3D6" was always annoying. MGT: Mercenary has 100 round burst miniguns that shoot 2d6 bullets, 6 round burst light machine guns that shoot 4d6 bullets, and single shot LAG rifles that shoot 8d6 bullets.

[PS. To Spinward Scout ... a very funny post At least on COTI he can read the locked threads and see what happened if he wanted to. ]

Last edited by atpollard; September 21st, 2008 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: civility
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM

Gallowglacht Citizen

I mostly agree, but in counterpoint, there has to come a time where people can discuss the good or bad of the game without everything going nuts right? My favourite version isn't very popular, gets its share of flack and its no big deal. I think there is enough maturity to discuss it now right? We can't just ignore the current biggest version for fear that a fringe are going to go all crazy again, right?

Or is this going to be another train wreck that leaves me all confused??
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
I mostly agree, but in counterpoint, there has to come a time where people can discuss the good or bad of the game without everything going nuts right? My favourite version isn't very popular, gets its share of flack and its no big deal. I think there is enough maturity to discuss it now right? We can't just ignore the current biggest version for fear that a fringe are going to go all crazy again, right?

Or is this going to be another train wreck that leaves me all confused??
Personally, I'd suggest that every Traveller fan give MGT a look. I bought it; $40 is a very modest cost for a grownup hobby item (compared to bass fishing boats, titanium head golf clubs, etc.). If you don't wanna buy it, get someone to let you read through their copy. A consensus seems to have developed that character generation is its strongest feature. I agree, though like atpollard, I think that the system awards far too many skills. This is easy enough to correct, though.

I was underwhelmed by the rest of MGT. Not awful, just mediocre. And as you said, my shelves are filled with mediocre RPGs. Mercenary is utterly wretched, IMHO, and I'd avoid it unless you really like MGT. Even then, you might want to take a good look at it before buying it.

Last edited by tbeard1999; September 21st, 2008 at 10:29 AM..
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
I mostly agree, but in counterpoint, there has to come a time where people can discuss the good or bad of the game without everything going nuts right?
I find OR to be the operative word of late. It should be possible to discuss the good AND bad of any game.

For example, I like CT LBB5: High Guard for starship design and I find CT:LBB2 too limiting and MegaTraveller too complex, but I could easily understand how other people could prefer the simplicity of LBB2 or the detail of Megatraveller. I could also discuss the limitations and advantages of any of the systems.

This is not what I typically see with MGT, where the Posts usually end up as and endless series of negative comments on what each person finds wrong with it and virtually no discussion on what actually seems to work well.

I have never seen anyone else mention the greater spread of damages in 'Heavy Weapons' that make weapon choices more 'right tool for the job' oriented than LBB4:Mercenary (which was more like 'the best tool available at that TL'). It was only when the Ref in the PbP game on COTI posted the list so my Merc could select a Heavy Weapon that I saw what MGT had done - and recognized that it WAS better than CT in that area.

A balanced diagogue requires the identification of strengths as well as weaknesses. "It leaves me cold" is not a promising theme for an open discussion - more like an invitation to a negative-fest.

Last edited by atpollard; September 21st, 2008 at 09:59 AM..