Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Maladominus Citizen
Hi micki

that is a fantastic piece of software!

Any way you can write similar software script that can use existing sector data (like the sec files), which can then convert them to the same PDF output that you got now?
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Mickazoid Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Mickazoid
Thanks for your warm welcome and kind words.

Actually, Baron - it's 'miss', not 'sir' - I'm an original gamer chick. And yep - I live in the beautiful Big Apple [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mala - I already have a variant that does exactly that... if you have a standard data file like

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">0101 Zeycude C330698-9 Na Ni Po De Zh GP
0102 Reno C1207B9-A Na Po De Zh G
0103 Errere B263664-B Z C0 Ni Ri Zh P
0104 Cantrel C366243-9 Lo Ni Zh P</pre>[/QUOTE]It'll generate a pdf, INCLUDING the UPP descriptions! The pdf of the Spinward Marches is a whopping 216 pages [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm looking into turning it into a simple-to-install application. Right now, you can generate an entire pdf with a single line of code or by using the URL.

I always loved the LBB 'look', and the Classic Traveller feel... so now that I'm an ok programmer, those original logic puzzles from Traveller make great software projects [img]smile.gif[/img] I'll keep you posted on the next round of innovations (first among them is a name randomizer).

"I would not see our candle blown out in the wind. It is a small thing, this dear gift of life handed us mysteriously out of immensity."
-- Ray Bradbury
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

JAFARR Citizen
mickazoid,

Hats off to you Lady. In my book this should push your SS to at least as high the baron's if not higher. Good job!

By the grace of His Imperial Majesty Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi, Baron of the Imperium. granted 241-1107
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen
I lived there for many years and still go there constantly for work.

Lady, may I just say again that this program is awesome, and is so Traveller in its output...

Welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:31 AM

Mickazoid Citizen
I am most grateful for your praise and your genuine expressions of welcome!

Yes, the details of formatting and 'tone' make a huge difference in these things. There are tons of mapping programs, etc., but I love paper, printed output, and using computers for what they're good at... consistency and drudgery!

I guess some of us always favored a career in the Scouts... this is just my way of helping the everlasting Great Survey! I guess I was made to dream of worlds. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Note: I'll be posting a few of my own homemade books in the coming weeks, here's some snippets from my 'Sector CJ078' book:

For the latter, I used a world terrain generator and mapped it to a mercator dodecahedron. The worlds book will have 32-48 worlds or so.

Here are the books I've gotten started on, or finished with. Many are based on canon or near-canon web material and rules for Classic Traveller:

* Traveller News Service Dispatches: 1105 - 1125 (including Journalist char creation rules)
* Traveller Library Data Upgrade (all the approved Library Data from online in one handy book)
* Starports! (canon or near-canon starport and trade rules in Classic Traveller)
* Sector CJ078 (a sector where intrigue is the only guarantee), including:
- Worlds of Sector CJ078 (hex maps, etc. of planets, moons and asteroids) and
- Metropoli of Sector CJ078 (Cities and other 'points-of-interest')

And I expect to make all of them available absolutely free, as a service of the Survey Scouts! [img]smile.gif[/img]

"I would not see our candle blown out in the wind. It is a small thing, this dear gift of life handed us mysteriously out of immensity."
-- Ray Bradbury
Old April 28th, 2006, 01:55 AM

Gallery : 31
BeRKA Citizen
Thumbs up

Very Cool! I just have to say that this looks great. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:00 AM

Mickazoid Citizen
Cool

I've posted a zipped up version of the scripts here.

Thanks Berka! Enjoy, improve, complain.

-- Ray Bradbury
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:26 AM

Gallery : 31
BeRKA Citizen
Talking

Nothing to complain about. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It would be cool if You could tweek the output a bit, just like in my random subsector generator.

In the additional planetary data, it would be cool to include "cargo" a la LBB-7.

Maybe an option to not generate additional data, since this makes the pdf so big would be nice.

I am really looking forward to see this as a working cgi.
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen

I am working on several techniques, in development of a standardized Graphic appearance to some things, The map above is a Barony holding, part of the "Patent Office" Service I am developing.

Making a "Hex Legend" of Cities, Starports, Localized Phenomena, etc. I used Cites from AKS Hexmap for now. The language is Vilani.

I think Barons should get to control planets, but that's just me.

I am speechless truly at how cool your work is, Mick! It gives me the chills in a good way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:12 AM

Mickazoid Citizen
Baron - and BeRKA - both of your work is awesome. I'm on a Mac, so I have trouble with most PC software, so I kinda have to rethink things. Sometimes it pays off [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I've always been a student of typography and layout, so my own Traveller and RPG design 'thing' is to always use the existing Classic Traveller look as directly as possible for inspiration - just as you have done with your World viewer, Baron! If the Scouts can ever assist in the survey, please send us an X-Boat message and we'll get back to you when someone gets back from the field [img]smile.gif[/img]

And of course, BeRKA's subsector generator has created millions upon millions of worlds by now... an absolute staple of Traveller. I'm so grateful for your interest and input. BeRKA sent me the Foreven Sector info offline, which has a slightly more rich format:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">1240 Bophani C493520-7 Ni 212 Av F2 V
1335 Elloni D548405-6 Ni 700 Av F3 V M5 D
1432 Goku D150441-9 De Ni Po 524 Av A G1 V
1534 Huaras D344556-8 Ag Ni 102 Av K2 V</pre>[/QUOTE]The one the script is currently using is the barebones, austere format:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">0307 Atsa B4337CA-A Z Na Po Zh P
0503 Whenge D648500-8 Ag Ni Na P
0601 Enlas-du E975776-6 Ag Na GP
0605 Algebaster C665658-9 Ag Ni Ri Na P</pre>[/QUOTE]I'll get right to work writing a parser for the 'richer' system listing you sent me.

-- Ray Bradbury