Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old April 20th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Carlobrand's Blog
Carlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoki View Post
I could actually see two ways you could interpret this.

The first is to make it zero and that there is no large free standing bodies of water on the planet.

The second is that the negative number represents even the scarcity of water in some other form (ice, ground water, etc.) meaning that the planet has very little water in any form on it.

This second version could make things interesting for a scenario where you need water for survival, fuel, or whatever and there's very little or none to be found in any form on a world. Now you have the players needing to come up with innovative solutions to a problem. For example you can't just drill a well since there's little ground water... There's no ice to be had anywhere... What do you do?
The UPP doesn't really allow for negative numbers, though I guess you could put a minus in amongst the numbers. I'd leave it up to the gamemaster to flesh out. Maybe it's a Mars with a wee bit of an ice-cap, or maybe what little there is is all underground and needs prospecting, or maybe it's utterly barren - any of those would be interesting. Atmosphere 0 doesn't necessarily mean it's without atmosphere either - it could all be precipitated out as ice and snow on some iceball in the outer region of the system.
Comments made are for the purpose of offering alternative campaign settings for consideration. The writer acknowledges that Traveller is intended to emulate certain common science fiction tropes and that, in the course of emulating those tropes and providing a better playing experience, some liberties must be taken with science. No statement by the writer should be interpreted as constituting a criticism of the game on that basis ... except for that bit about Virus. Dude, really?!
Old April 20th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
The UPP doesn't really allow for negative numbers, though I guess you could put a minus in amongst the numbers. I'd leave it up to the gamemaster to flesh out. Maybe it's a Mars with a wee bit of an ice-cap, or maybe what little there is is all underground and needs prospecting, or maybe it's utterly barren - any of those would be interesting. Atmosphere 0 doesn't necessarily mean it's without atmosphere either - it could all be precipitated out as ice and snow on some iceball in the outer region of the system.
What if a negative value meant that it is normally 0% (i.e. frozen out, etc.), but that at certain times of the year (i.e "summer" or the perihelion of an eccentric orbit) the world received enough heat to (briefly) create an atmosphere or sea equal to the absolute value of the negative atmosphere/hydrographic value?

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old April 20th, 2019, 01:13 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Forgive me for disgressing a little, but if we begin to accept negative numbers in UWP, what would a negative government mean?

And what about a negative law level? weapons, vendetas and Linch law encouraged?

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; April 20th, 2019 at 01:51 PM..
Old April 20th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

negative law level - we PAY you to shoot people!
negative government - the ultimate form of libertarianism: you can do anything until it interferes with someone else

I've always set anything < 0 to be 0 and never thought about negative values. Figured 0 was the floor and 15 the ceiling (aka max) in keeping with the pseudo-hexadecimal thing (sorry - when I got into Traveller Iwas in college and computer science, and hexadecimal was used a lot back then so Traveller was a natural fit for me )

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old April 20th, 2019, 11:05 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

In terms of actual volume to planet size, you could have vast underground oceans, and nothing on the surface.

Probably would require footnotes after the descriptive entry.
Old April 21st, 2019, 07:58 AM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
In terms of actual volume to planet size, you could have vast underground oceans, and nothing on the surface.

Probably would require footnotes after the descriptive entry.
That's what I have done in some instances of world building to explain a large population on a desert world. That and I may institute a survey index indicating just how much actual surveying was done, ranging from "we put a satellite in orbit for a couple of hours" to "we spent months there with several camps and interviewed locals"

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old April 21st, 2019, 09:21 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Carlobrand's Blog
Carlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
What if a negative value meant that it is normally 0% (i.e. frozen out, etc.), but that at certain times of the year (i.e "summer" or the perihelion of an eccentric orbit) the world received enough heat to (briefly) create an atmosphere or sea equal to the absolute value of the negative atmosphere/hydrographic value?
Well, frozen water is still water. Worlds with vacuum atmosphere can have hydro ratings above 0; those are ice caps. A world with ephemeral water resulting from seasonal changes would still have the same hydro percentage year round - its state just changes.

Problem is there's no consensus about what a negative number would mean, which means it still ends up being up to the gamemaster, which renders it ineffective as a means of communicating information. If we want an x-factor entry for weird water situations, we can put in an X and save a space.
Comments made are for the purpose of offering alternative campaign settings for consideration. The writer acknowledges that Traveller is intended to emulate certain common science fiction tropes and that, in the course of emulating those tropes and providing a better playing experience, some liberties must be taken with science. No statement by the writer should be interpreted as constituting a criticism of the game on that basis ... except for that bit about Virus. Dude, really?!