Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old September 16th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 0
Xfactor101 Citizen
Default With a little help

I would be greatly interested into a game. If you would be willing to help with the character's
numbers, as I do not have the books anymore, I could provide you with an outline of the type of character or characters for your preview.

I too have a work schedule that makes it hard sometimes to get online to respond every day, however, we shall see what can be done.

Thank you and any of the outlined game scenarios that I read would be alright with me.

Smugglers and bounty hunters, a group I haven't tried in years.

Keith
Old September 17th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Terquem Citizen
Default A rambling opinion

I think for a PbP Traveller game to work, the referee and players need to be sure that there are specific goals established and work toward those goals. It has been my experience that many PbP players (on other forums) simply do not want to be put into a position where they have to make decisions about what their characters do. They are happy to create characters, and demonstrate how their creations work in encounters, but put them in a “Tee” intersection with blood splatters on the right, and a dangerous looking cloud of gas on the left and the game will stall.

You also need to be clear about when “clues” are revealed. Many players I dealt with (again on another forum) would cry in anguish when I did not place signs on the walls of spaceships or dungeons that read “go this way to reach the next encounter” or even worse, would roll a die and post this, possibly my least favorite game phrase ever

“I rolled higher than the rules say is required for this check, now tell me everything I need to know to defeat the monster.”

And another common experience I have had is that it is usually difficult to get the players to talk to each other, as players or as characters. I think there is a tendency for some players to expect a PbP game to somehow work like a computer simulation, and forget that it is actually just a modified table experience. You should be ready to talk, out of character, at any time when something in the game doesn’t, at first, make sense – ask each other questions, get involved in the story AND the game.

If, again just my opinion, the referee and players take the time, before the game begins, to establish what the expectations are going to be for the game – “I will describe what your characters first see, hear, smell, taste, and touch, it will then be up to you, the players to engage me in a dialog to discover more than what was initially reviled” is my go to PbP introduction, when I am about to start running a game - then the chances of success are pretty good the game will last.

Rarely does that happen.
Old September 18th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I think for a PbP Traveller game to work, the referee and players need to be sure that there are specific goals established and work toward those goals. It has been my experience that many PbP players (on other forums) simply do not want to be put into a position where they have to make decisions about what their characters do. They are happy to create characters, and demonstrate how their creations work in encounters, but put them in a “Tee” intersection with blood splatters on the right, and a dangerous looking cloud of gas on the left and the game will stall.

You also need to be clear about when “clues” are revealed. Many players I dealt with (again on another forum) would cry in anguish when I did not place signs on the walls of spaceships or dungeons that read “go this way to reach the next encounter” or even worse, would roll a die and post this, possibly my least favorite game phrase ever

“I rolled higher than the rules say is required for this check, now tell me everything I need to know to defeat the monster.”

And another common experience I have had is that it is usually difficult to get the players to talk to each other, as players or as characters. I think there is a tendency for some players to expect a PbP game to somehow work like a computer simulation, and forget that it is actually just a modified table experience. You should be ready to talk, out of character, at any time when something in the game doesn’t, at first, make sense – ask each other questions, get involved in the story AND the game.

If, again just my opinion, the referee and players take the time, before the game begins, to establish what the expectations are going to be for the game – “I will describe what your characters first see, hear, smell, taste, and touch, it will then be up to you, the players to engage me in a dialog to discover more than what was initially reviled” is my go to PbP introduction, when I am about to start running a game - then the chances of success are pretty good the game will last.

Rarely does that happen.
While I have encountered such players, I tell them I don't referee that way. And my other players may laugh and point.

I to describe hat the characters see, hear, etc. Its up to the players to decide what to do.
Old September 18th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

All right, I've been out of PbP for too long. Time to saddle back up! I posted a couple ideas to see if anyone is interested.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=39396
Old September 28th, 2018, 09:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Xfactor101 Citizen
Default Please continue !!

I would be interested in such a game. Is there a specific place to do the character generation ?? I do not have the books and your changes sound fascinating.

Keith
Old September 28th, 2018, 11:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Ex_Pendable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfactor101 View Post
I would be interested in such a game. Is there a specific place to do the character generation ?? I do not have the books and your changes sound fascinating.

Keith
There are character generators out there, just know your rule set. Or you can order books/cd roms/pdfs from the Traveller Store and never have to worry about a site going down.
Old September 30th, 2018, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Pendable View Post
There are character generators out there, just know your rule set. Or you can order books/cd roms/pdfs from the Traveller Store and never have to worry about a site going down.
There's one hosted on the site...

http://travellerrpg.com/tools/MTCG.html

( http://travellerrpg.com/tools/ is the folder for several web-tools. I've NOT prettied it up. If someone wants to add a new webtool, that's where it will go.)

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.