Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
[OOC: Fine. But we kinda need to not have major battles during my work day, then. Sometimes I can get on and post, sometimes not.]
I second that!!!

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:42 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Just makes no sense to me, if you are going to actually make that step of shooting someone, not to do it thoroughly, or at least take two shots and observe for effect before deciding to fire more. But only one shot? Why do that, unless short on ammo?

Something I read in a book somewhere, "Two in the body, one in the head, knocks a man down and kills him dead." Seems pretty reasonable to me.
That one shot thing happens all the time in LEO gun fights. More often than not the cop will shoot the bad guy once. One round. And then the fight will be over. When we had that happen at my agency I asked the guy why and it was because he said what went through his head was that the threat fell down so he stopped. It's probably more complicated than that but we did teach again and again to "stop the threat", not "kill the threat". And the same thing happened in simulated shooting with simunition. Really weird.

On the other hand we also taught a two-shot "minimum response" on the range. Shoot the threat twice at a minimum but that always devolved into two-shots then re-assess.

Two in the body - one in the head we taught to do in case the other guy had armor or was on drugs.

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown
[OOC: Fine. But we kinda need to not have major battles during my work day, then. Sometimes I can get on and post, sometimes not.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I second that!!!
Sorry, when I can't work I lose track of days. I saw people online posting, figured it was OK to proceed.

Next time we have something intense coming up, let's try to set a time we can all be on for at least a couple hours. [Although I'm afraid I have been telling my boys for at least a week now that we are "almost to the big gunfight" only to have some other details drag on longer than I expected. Such as the amount of time it took me to prepare necessary maps. ]
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:36 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
The problem w the "tools" argument isn't so much "what is realistic" as it is metagame - taken to that extreme, it breaks the Traveller skill system. Why have a Pilot or Gunner or Medic if all you need is the right tool? (Or Navigator, let's not forget Navigators... commonly cited example of "why do we need a human for this job?")
I would *never* argue for replacing a human with a computer. (OK, maybe at a few fast food joints, but not for anything important.)

Quote:
In this case my decision depends on exactly what you are trying to do. If you want Donoma to break the mine's comms encryption to be able to listen in without their permission, then her roll of 11 and Comms-1 is good enough, and she's in.
That was the intent.

Quote:
If you want Donoma to actually be able to get inside their comms system, the storage part, to look at old messages and call records and so forth, then that is a job for Computers skill, which she doesn't have so even a roll of 11 isn't good enough w the non-proficiency penalty.
That's fine. A system that provides the service would be much different than the transmission/reception of the signals and breaking the algorithm that is used to make their conversations "private".

Quote:
You built her as a wizard of Navs, and we decided that also made her a wizard of Sensors by extension, but that doesn't make her a wizard of everything to do with usage of electronics to the extent that Comms and Computer skills are unnecessary.
Not my intent. I'm sorry if I came across that way.

I've had way too much argumentation elsewhere in my life tonight. Whatever is fine with me.
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:40 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Sorry, when I can't work I lose track of days. I saw people online posting, figured it was OK to proceed.
I started posting because i was afraid of getting left behind. But I still got my court report done OK, and we caught the bad guys so it's OK.

Quote:
Next time we have something intense coming up, let's try to set a time we can all be on for at least a couple hours. [Although I'm afraid I have been telling my boys for at least a week now that we are "almost to the big gunfight" only to have some other details drag on longer than I expected. Such as the amount of time it took me to prepare necessary maps. ]
As I said before - weekends are often pretty busy but so long as I know in advance I can set aside a time usually without a problem. At least for a couple of hours.

Old September 16th, 2013, 11:41 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Actually, let's just leave it as it played out. If we are going to have some conflict between Hampton and Donoma about following orders versus thinking of a Better Idea, I'd rather have it while y'all are both online to work it out.
Dang - so Hampton doesn't get to spank Donoma? He was kinda looking forward to that.

Old September 16th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Y'know, when I first conceived that Nero might end up conversing to some extent with one of the bad guys, I had this pictured as an outdoor gunfight, with Henry and Gayne in good sniper positions, but unable to get a clear shot on this particular bad guy right away (to allow a bit of conversation) and then I would be making rolls depending on what happened from there to see which sniper got the first clear shot at the bad guy. Worked out WAY different!
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I started posting because i was afraid of getting left behind.
Sorry, not my intent at all. If not enough actual players can post, we simply need to take a break until more can post. I kept seeing replies getting posted, so I just kept rolling along.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:48 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you were on for awhile this morning, then after that it didn't seem like there was much for Donoma to do besides run sensors. The laser shots that Hampton ordered seemed pretty straightforward.

Personally, if I was a Captain and told a crewmember to make a warning shot, and instead they shot off a piece of the other vehicle, we'd have issues. So I'd rather if that is going to come up, it be when you and Sabredog are both available to work it out.

My first inclination was to just have her shoot the cockpit out with the guys in it, but then I remembered that A) I didn't know what the things was using for fuel or if the plane would explode because of that (if the fuel was in the wings or from shrapnel), or what might have been inside especially after your mention of someone maybe (though I thought that was a long shot) having some AA weapons.....B) I didn't think we really needed to kill them - yet - and nobody would take off with a launch overhead blocking them they couldn't outrun and was armed.....;and C) Donoma was the one who pointed out we might not want to treat the locals too bloodthirstily because we want to come back some day.

Shooting out the left rotor was only a last resort and Hampton would have at least wanted to know he should have ducked really low before the shot.

But next time.....remember, she just got hired and is still on her 90 day probation. Her health insurance hasn't even kicked in yet as part of her generous employee benefits package.

Old September 16th, 2013, 11:49 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Y'know, when I first conceived that Nero might end up conversing to some extent with one of the bad guys, I had this pictured as an outdoor gunfight, with Henry and Gayne in good sniper positions, but unable to get a clear shot on this particular bad guy right away (to allow a bit of conversation) and then I would be making rolls depending on what happened from there to see which sniper got the first clear shot at the bad guy. Worked out WAY different!
The plan never survives contact with the enemy. Or contact with players.

Closed Thread