Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old April 16th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
vegas Citizen

+1 for Mike.

Also bold the "This duke has a free hand in government, and is subject only to broad guidelines from his superiors."

This is not a democracy. There is no check from below. The duke has a free hand.

The top may use lessers for administrivia, they may even be organized into councils/assemblies/whatever, but the bottom ain't electing or managing a duke. IMHO.
Old April 16th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnfellow View Post
Good memory: "No Time to Rest" by Robert N. Sprinkle, in Challenge 20.

Set in 1120, the scenario contain this: "In the Regina Subsector, the Subsector Council is a governing body that oversees trade relations between the different worlds and determines how to divide Imperial funds among the various depariments."
TY for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
CT S:8 Library Data A-M page 7:

Not voted from below, selected from above.
Fully agreed. See that Noris is not Archduke because the dukes vote him, but due to an Imperial Warrant, and other dukes jsut abide it (though they probably agree in seeing the need of a unified command on the view of the crisis).

Nonetheless, any such high leader depends on subordinates (more so with the communication problems Traveller gives), so the idea of an advisor body, formed by people also entrusted nobility by the Empreor, makes sense, IMHO.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old April 16th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

In the 4th Imperium in 1248, Counts are "a big deal". The full details are in Nobility chapter in pages 122-129 of 1248 Sourcebook 2: Bearers of the Flame. Even if you don't like 1248, the chapter does comparison/contrast between 3rd and 4th Imperium

The 4th occupies only about 1 sector. Everyone was effectively downgraded in scale of control.
Counts rule/represent 2-3 worlds, may directly demand a permanent portion of military assets of all subordinates and very oddly may or may not have to be answerable to a Duke. On reading further, you find that while Dukes can assign title for ranks below them, the Emperor can also. Frontier areas and new acquisitions have to be administered, so guess who grants Counties to hem the power of Dukes?
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:32 PM

Gallery : 102
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
AFAIK noble wars are quite rare in 3I, though...
of course, any so-called "war" within the imperium would be completely unacceptable and beyond the pale. on the other hand mercenary actions (ahem) and piracy (cough cough) are not rare at all ....

Quote:
There is no check from below. The duke has a free hand.
in theory and acclamation, sure. in practice vox populi vox dei.
Old April 17th, 2018, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
of course, any so-called "war" within the imperium would be completely unacceptable and beyond the pale. on the other hand mercenary actions (ahem) and piracy (cough cough) are not rare at all ....

in theory and acclamation, sure. in practice vox populi vox dei.
Canon explicitly allows for war by member states with other member states.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

RandyB Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
I definitely want a reference for this one, because it open up so many fun possibilities.
Old April 17th, 2018, 10:32 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
For ground wars, sure, but also for space wars among Imperial fiefs?

As I see Imperial High Nobles, they mostly oversee one system or more, and any open war among them would be moved to space quit soom. Of course, small proxy wars and insurgencies in others' fiefs are probable, but I guess taking them to space as full noble war would son take IN attention...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old April 17th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
I definitely want a reference for this one, because it open up so many fun possibilities.
Corporations: The Traveller Adventure
Member worlds: Book 4, p. 1

Quote:
Traveller assumes a remote centralized government (referred to in this volume as the Imperium), possessed of grem industrial and technological might, but unable, due to the sheer distances and travel times involved, to exert total control at all levels everywhere within its sf ar-spanning realm. On the frontiers, extensive home rule provisions allow planetary populations to choose their own forms of government, raise and maintain armed forces for local security, pass and enforce laws governing local conduct, and regulate (within limits) commerce, Defense of the frontier is mostly provided by local indigenous forces, stiffened by scattered Imperial naval bases manned by small but extremely sophisticated forces. Conflicting local interests often settle their differences by force of arms, with Imperial forces looking quietly the other way, unable to effectively intervene as a police force in any but the most wide-spread of conflicts without jeopardizing their primary mission of the defense of the realm. Only when local conflicts threaten either the security or the economy of the area do Imperial forces take an active hand, and then it is with speed and overwhelming force.
There are other references in a few adventures as well, but I'm not digging for them right now.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 17th, 2018, 08:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

talos402000 Citizen

Thanks for all the responses. It really gave me a few ideas. That being said, it seems to me that the basic building block of a sub-sector is the star system, and there could be over a dozen star systems in a single sub-sector, containing billions of sophonts. There's no way one single man is going to be able to stay on top of all that. He's gonna have to delegate authority. In the Imperium, with it's feudal chain of command, the immediate delegates are the counts, with each count or viscount ruling over a county of 3-6 worlds. They monitor conditions on those worlds, settle in-system (but off-world) disputes, pass along regular status reports to the Duke's court, and act in the executive role for any Imperial Ministries in their area of responsibility. Being high nobles, they may also have other responsibilities in the sub-sector government, such as sitting on a panel of judges in the sector supreme court, legate to a non-imperial world, or working in the various imperial ministries.

As for sub-sector legislative bodies, I think that varies by sub-sector, both in size and power, with some having great power, to some having none. I've never read anything that says they all have one.
Old April 17th, 2018, 10:24 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen+GypsyComet Citizen+GypsyComet Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
For ground wars, sure, but also for space wars among Imperial fiefs?

As I see Imperial High Nobles, they mostly oversee one system or more, and any open war among them would be moved to space quit soom. Of course, small proxy wars and insurgencies in others' fiefs are probable, but I guess taking them to space as full noble war would son take IN attention...
The High Nobility risk *everything* if they stoop to open warfare against each other. The Planetary nobility, only a small minority of whom also hold Imperial titles with any teeth, are another matter. The Duke of Regina does not run Regina, and the First Administrator of Regina has no Imperial authority beyond what he can talk Norris into during their weekly Zero Squash match.

The two largest examples of Imperial Nobles at war with each other are the Rebellion and the Civil War. From a particular point of view the Solomani Rim War might also qualify. The next step down would be conflicts like the "trade" wars that kept Deneb tied in knots for decades, and included suborned planetary navies and capital class "yachts". I suspect there were some nasty trade wars, involving what were essentially nobles, during the First Imperium. It is why, IMO, the Vilani are both very talented in this arena, and very cautious about using those talents openly.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)