Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old March 28th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Orr Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
But I think I want a game that doesn't have fixed "you can move this much in the round, and do only this number of 'actions" and try to create an Action Point based system that combines various moves and other actions
SL:A has that, as does Snapshot and AHL. I found the version in SL:A overly fiddly compared to the other two.

It uses half-point costs, for example. Certain weapons and armor types "cost" APs too. Not to use, mind you, just to carry or wear. Various costs are scattered through the text, there's no central list and there was room for it. Finally, there are costs listed for actions which have no use in the game. Again, they were supposed to be covered in those latter products which didn't happen.

The game's a mess. I don't know how much it would actually help you.
Old March 28th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
(Armies of the future are trained and experienced in "hitting" what they are aiming at,
Unless the hitting is left to the computers, a less than 40% hit rate in combat is about the peak of human performance. That's the police hit rate, roughly.

Per IDA PAPER P-3087, there isn't enough reliable data to assess the training vs field performance of ground units. Nor, for that matter, pretty much anyone but Navy pilots.

@TimeRover - SLA Marshal's "data" has long been controversial; all my upper division instructors put him on the "unacceptable sources" list in the early 90's, because so much of his data was drawn from sources that cannot be replicated, and are too far separated from the events.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 28th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Terquem Citizen

I'm basing my ideas on something I once read in James Dunnigan's "How to Make War" which talked about the placing of "Tonnage" in the vicinity of the target with enough force to sustain casualties, and not so much relying on actually aiming at specific things. He even, if I remember correctly, quoted the statistic from WWII (I'm not really sure it was accurate, but he liked to quote it often) that in order to cause a casualty to the enemy the US needed to fire the weight of a man in combined ordinance, averaged out over the war.
Old March 28th, 2018, 06:17 PM

Orr Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
SLA Marshal's "data" has long been controversial; all my upper division instructors put him on the "unacceptable sources" list in the early 90's, because so much of his data was drawn from sources that cannot be replicated, and are too far separated from the events.

I'd come across Marshall and his "research" before, but I will still surprised when he was used as an example by one of my statistics profs for flawed and fraudulent methodology, research, and analysis.
Old March 29th, 2018, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr View Post
I'd come across Marshall and his "research" before, but I will still surprised when he was used as an example by one of my statistics profs for flawed and fraudulent methodology, research, and analysis.
The worst was that he did his interviews with group sessions, which is an absolute no-no. Leads to boasting and exaggeration.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 29th, 2018, 10:16 AM

Terquem Citizen

Also

I took a look at the Steve Jackson Deck Plans in my inventory and they use 40mm hexes on one side (actually a little under 40mm, 1.5 inches) but this it turns out is perfect with my MiniFigs, so I am now working on a MiniFig silhouette to use to track weapons, armor, and hits/hit effects

The rules I am putting together will work with my Lego type SL scout ship as well
Old March 29th, 2018, 01:59 PM

Orr Citizen

Quote:
I took a look at the Steve Jackson Deck Plans in my inventory and they use 40mm hexes on one side...

Those superimpose a hex grid over the ship's layout, right? The map in SL:A does it the other way around; the ship's layout is made up of hexagons.
Old March 29th, 2018, 02:05 PM

Terquem Citizen

Yes, the grid is more of an underlay, but you have it right. I generally don't like it when a drawing tries too hard to conform to a predetermined grid (squares or hexes) which is why I always get so aggravated by traditional traveler deck plans

But then again, I try to make my Traveller deck plans line up with squares when I can, so I'm guilty of the same thing
Old March 29th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Terquem Citizen

GAH! why do I post messages before checking things completely.

The SJGames Deck Plans have 1.5 inch SQUARES on one side and 1 inch hexes on the other side. I don't know where I saw 1.5 inch hexes now (going to have to look through all my accessories, maps and things, to find the product I know I remember seeing which had larger hexes)

So, that makes things a bit different for the rules I am working up.

Going back to Snap Shot today and reviewing those, making lists for what I like and what I don't
Old March 29th, 2018, 02:43 PM

Orr Citizen

Quote:
I generally don't like it when a drawing tries too hard to conform to a predetermined grid (squares or hexes) which is why I always get so aggravated by traditional traveler deck plans.
Those old plans were drawn by hand. There weren't many home computers in the late 70s and no CAD-CAM programs for them. Counting squares on graph paper and "rounding off the edges" was that magic combination of quick, easy, and good enough.

I read a RPG blog post recently about the forgotten joys of "point crawls", meaning dungeons, ships, buildings, etc. are presented as linked blocks and not as minutely measured blueprints. Range is rarely an issue inside a ship or building, line of sight is the real problem, so knowing whether a compartment is 20m or 22m wide doesn't really matter.