Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:17 AM
Jeff M. Hopper's Avatar
Jeff M. Hopper Jeff M. Hopper is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 2,764
Gallery : 2
Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+
Default Maximum Mass for a Stutterwarp Vessel

OK, I need someone to check my math and reasoning here.

Stutterwarp cannot work at FTL speeds in a gravity field greater than 0.0001G and cannot work at all in a gravity field greater than 0.1G, so since gravity is based on mass, then the maximum mass for an FTL starship is one that will create a 0.0001G gravity field and the maximum mass for a STL stutterwarp ship is one that will create a 0.1G gravity field.

The values that I am getting for maximum FTL stutterwarp mass are 14985.5 tons and maximum STL mass is 14985763.5 tons.

I'm using g=Gm/r^2 and solving for m with r being equal to 1 since it is the radius of the mass itself.
__________________
Sir Jeff Hopper
Knight of the Third Imperium Zaru 2305 Indus B859653-A
Baron of the Third Imperium Corr 2836 Igudi D586643-2
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 3rd, 2019, 08:33 AM
AnotherDilbert AnotherDilbert is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockholm 🇸🇪
Posts: 1,972
Gallery : 0
AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M. Hopper View Post
I'm using g=Gm/r^2 and solving for m with r being equal to 1 since it is the radius of the mass itself.
r = 1 m? Is the ship that small?

IIRC, inside a homogenous body gravity increases linearly with radius. In the centre of the body the net gravitational pull is close to zero since it is pulled about equally in all directions.

Place the drive near the centre of mass and it will not experience much gravity from the ship itself?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 3rd, 2019, 12:22 PM
Jeff M. Hopper's Avatar
Jeff M. Hopper Jeff M. Hopper is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 2,764
Gallery : 2
Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
r = 1 m? Is the ship that small?

IIRC, inside a homogenous body gravity increases linearly with radius. In the centre of the body the net gravitational pull is close to zero since it is pulled about equally in all directions.

Place the drive near the centre of mass and it will not experience much gravity from the ship itself?
At first I thought of that as well but the problem I can see with that solution is that with it in place, you can thus have FTL stutterwarp capable ships of any mass (including planetary or stellar) as long as the stutterwarp is located in the center of the mass.
__________________
Sir Jeff Hopper
Knight of the Third Imperium Zaru 2305 Indus B859653-A
Baron of the Third Imperium Corr 2836 Igudi D586643-2
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 3rd, 2019, 01:11 PM
mike wightman's Avatar
mike wightman mike wightman is offline
Noble
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 16,384
Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Default

In which case you need to know the dimensions of the ship to estimate the radius.
__________________
The beauty of CT LBB1-3 is that the ref is free to make such decisions for themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 3rd, 2019, 01:21 PM
McPerth's Avatar
McPerth McPerth is online now
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 7,659
Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M. Hopper View Post
OK, I need someone to check my math and reasoning here.

Stutterwarp cannot work at FTL speeds in a gravity field greater than 0.0001G and cannot work at all in a gravity field greater than 0.1G, so since gravity is based on mass, then the maximum mass for an FTL starship is one that will create a 0.0001G gravity field and the maximum mass for a STL stutterwarp ship is one that will create a 0.1G gravity field.

The values that I am getting for maximum FTL stutterwarp mass are 14985.5 tons and maximum STL mass is 14985763.5 tons.

I'm using g=Gm/r^2 and solving for m with r being equal to 1 since it is the radius of the mass itself.
Most Kaffer battleships (Aplphas and Deltas, IIRC) are in the order of 74000 tons, so larger ships than 15000 tons ones can move at warp speed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M. Hopper View Post
At first I thought of that as well but the problem I can see with that solution is that with it in place, you can thus have FTL stutterwarp capable ships of any mass (including planetary or stellar) as long as the stutterwarp is located in the center of the mass.
Sure, you only need to power it then, but that's not too difficult...

Again, I don't own Star Cruiser, but in the classic DG book it says the WE is cube root of Mw/mass multiplied by a constant (usually 14.25).

So, if you build a 1Mt ship, a 150 Mw power plant (that of a Kennedy) would give you a WE of 0.68 and a 300 Mw one will give a WE of 0.98, and a 415 Mw one (that of a Richelieu) would give you a WE of 1.09.

Those WE are at par with most comercial ships.

The problem would be if you must really only count the gravity at the center of mass, or for all the whip you have to move...
__________________
Duke of ShaiaVland 3215 B64A998-E
Marquis of Ashtagz Tyui SR 1818C548786-8
SEH for actions in Extolay

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; February 3rd, 2019 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: fixing wrong info
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 3rd, 2019, 02:35 PM
AnotherDilbert AnotherDilbert is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockholm 🇸🇪
Posts: 1,972
Gallery : 0
AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+
Default

g = 0.0001 g ≈ 0.001 m/s
G = 6.674 10⁻
g/G ≈ 15 10⁶

With M = g/Gr ≈ 15 000 000 r we get a limit of:
_r [m]________limit [tonne]
___1 m___________15 ktonne
__10 m_________1500 ktonne
_100 m_______150000 ktonne
1000 m_____15000000 ktonne

That should be enough?

Must there be a practical limit?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 3rd, 2019, 09:29 PM
Jeff M. Hopper's Avatar
Jeff M. Hopper Jeff M. Hopper is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 2,764
Gallery : 2
Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
Must there be a practical limit?
No, stutterwarp driven FTL capable class G2 V stars are the perfect thing to drag your Ringworld around to tour the cosmos......
__________________
Sir Jeff Hopper
Knight of the Third Imperium Zaru 2305 Indus B859653-A
Baron of the Third Imperium Corr 2836 Igudi D586643-2
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beyond Maximum Imperial Tech Bob Weaver The Lone Star 94 September 23rd, 2014 11:22 PM
Maximum Warp, Mr. Sulu Kilgs The Lone Star 33 June 19th, 2014 11:50 PM
Characteristics maximum value kilandra Traveller 5 12 May 8th, 2013 01:23 AM
Maximum Vacuum Speed equilibrium The Fleet 16 May 3rd, 2004 06:10 AM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.