Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old January 8th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default Five Things About Mayday

Five Things I Like About Mayday

1. Movement. I like that movement can be vector-based, and I like the way orbiting is handled. I like that the game's tactics rely heavily on movement.

2. Sensor Locks. I like limits to sensors. I like not being able to lock onto another ship until it's in range, and I like losing the ability to lock once it is far enough away.

3. Attacks. I generally like the way attacks are handled -- it's about the same as classic Traveller, if I recall correctly.

4. The Ship Card. I like the compactness-yet-completeness of the ship card. It's easy to mark up damage, and it's a handy 3 x 5 index card, and yet the entire ship design fits on it.

5. The Board. I like hexmaps, and this one is very very very easily made and doesn't take up a lot of space.

Five Things I Don't Like About Mayday

1. Newton's First Law. Even though I like vector movement, it's too easy to let it get out of hand. My ship just sails off the map, unable to return. Experienced players learn to control themselves, but this can be quite a turn-off to newbies who otherwise might be in the market for a SF combat game.

2. Tiny Planets. The map size requires that planets fit into one hex. I've idly wanted to see (for example) gas giants which occupy several hexes.

3. Missiles and Multiple Bogeys. More than two things flying around the map slows the game down (too much?).

4. Tiny Planets #2. "Landing" on a planet means your counter is physically on top of the planet. Yet it seems to me that planets are far too big to abstract away like this. A corsair would never be able to find you once you're in the atmosphere, would it?

5. Tiny Ships. Any ships larger than the smallest ones (say, ships over 400 tons) start to slow the game down, because the number of independently firing turrets goes up.
Tools Link

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.