Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5 > Pre-Release Discussion

Pre-Release Discussion Archive of the pre-release T5 Public

Old August 7th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen
Default What's Coming in T5

Brought up in another thread was a PDF that Marc had available that gave an overview of what you can expect in T5. I contacted Marc and got his permission to make that PDF available here. Just click on the attachment below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T5 Coming In T5.pdf (118.9 KB, 987 views)
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen

To be honest, although T5 is obviously a done deal I see nothing here that hasn't already been mooted (no pun intended) in the playtest forums and much which has been highly criticised for being either unplayable or over-complex.

I have until this point been ever the optimist regarding T5, believing that from CT/MT/T4 a really excellent game could be produced, modern and exciting. But what is being hinted at in that document is everything that has been slated so far.

Flux

Font based deckplans

Knowledges full of potential but looking dodgy.

Dice Pools: they really *@£$ me off. So much for simplicity.

Inconsistent Attributes: bad enough changing attributes between systems but when PC's in one system all have different attributes......

I hope Matt Sprange knows what he's getting himself into.

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Rover Citizen

I just read that PD and nothing really jumped out at me as a must have.

I was never a big fan of the Traveller aliens and as for Robot characters, I like them even less.

It seems to me that they are making things even more complex than needs be. Like the Dice chapter that states it will have charts showing all posible outcomes. Do we really need that? I am all for realism, but not at the expense of playability. What is wrong with a plain old percentage chance.

On the positive side I like some of the stuff mentioned in the Character creation.

I guess I will have to take a wait and see approach, I may end up loving it, (I will end up buying it) But for now I will be happy playing T20.

R

When I die I'm going to donate my body to Science Fiction
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

Quote:
Flux
Actually it's not a bad idea. Helps if you have a bit more information on how it works and is applied.

Quote:
Font based deckplans
Again a pretty nice idea. Makes it fairly easy to put together a deckplan.

Quote:
Not really a whole lot different from cascade skills.

Quote:
Dice Pools: they really *@£$ me off. So much for simplicity.
Not a huge fan myself, but it works.

Quote:
Inconsistent Attributes: bad enough changing attributes between systems but when PC's in one system all have different attributes......
This isn't a new thing. Been around in Traveller since CT.
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

This is essentially a minor revision of a document released last year. It gives me little hope for T5 being playable.

As for the xd6 system, it barely works, and precludes effective use of "undeclared difficulty tasks" (a common GM use), and makes uncertain tasks awkward.

The emphasis on "RDME" is another way of saying "Game Construction Kit" or "Needless complexity"...
... and that isn't of need a good thing....

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Klaus Citizen

Actually I'm mildy affirmative in my outlook to this draft.

It is expressed in a somewhat technical, equational manner. Hopefully when that's translated into proper RP prose it won't look so complicated.

If you expressed d20 in such a way it would look even more complex and arcane.

If you compare it to the alchemy in Burning Wheel it's downright simple, and that didn't seem so complicated once I'd read through it.

As for tables, possibly they are just for reference, rather than necessary for play?

I think a systematic creation system for aliens and robots is handy, playable characters or not. And a drag and drop starship design sequence has potential. Shouldn't be too difficult to whip up a flash based app to replicate it, inc deckplans.

If T5 is meant to be the advanced grognard toolkit for obsessive players and refs, and the Mongoose version an 'out of the box' play version, then on reflection I'm not unhappy with what I've seen so far. Still work to be done, but a 5 page summary does not an rpg make.
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 17
Visit Beech's Blog
Beech Citizen
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
the advanced grognard toolkit for obsessive players
with 1000 pages - yes I think it might be (rubs hands with glee).

(& I see that drunk hiver is back and managed to get into the preview)
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Flux
Actually it's not a bad idea. Helps if you have a bit more information on how it works and is applied.
My biggest complaint is having to find a way to distinguish "positive" and "negative" dice. If you have to mark up the dice you take out of the Monopoly set, it gets a little tougher to just grab and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Not really a whole lot different from cascade skills.
I haven't had a chance to really look yet, but they were being touted (in discussions in the Moot) as something different than cascades. They might be good, but they will add complexity (if you use them).
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Droyne668 Citizen

Where's the Droyne?
Everything is better with Droyne!
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droyne668 View Post
Where's the Droyne?
Everything is better with Droyne!
Or at least chocolate covered droyne...

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.