Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old June 24th, 2018, 04:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Default Mongoose 2E Vehicle Speeds?

I bought the Mongoose2E Vehicle book because I wanted a fast vehicle gen I can build then slap Striker stats/guns on and convert armor on, and it looked cleaner then the CE/MgT1E versions.

Figuring out armor and which abilities translate is no problem, but the generic speed definitions have me stumped a bit.

Subsonic/Hypersonic are definitions I can translate readily, Slow/Medium/Fast doesn't translate readily to a specific kph value.

Is there a conversion table someone could post please?
Old June 24th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Core, p130?

Old June 25th, 2018, 08:46 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
Core, p130?

Don't have the core book for 2E, just liked the vehicle system.

Thanks!
Old June 25th, 2018, 03:51 PM

One reason I wanted that info was due to cars, grav vehicles and planes having similar speeds.

The supplement does open one's eyes to how ground cars would not stand still and with future tech could easily be 300 kph monsters.

I'm pretty happy with the progression of jet engine types but not with the speeds, seems a little slow for our TL or higher.
Old June 25th, 2018, 06:08 PM

Yes, jets are quite slow by default. Speed can be increased as per p46.
Old June 25th, 2018, 06:18 PM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
The supplement does open one's eyes to how ground cars would not stand still and with future tech could easily be 300 kph monsters.
Just a quick note, y'all know that ground vehicle speed is limited by both human reaction speed and road conditions. I tend to limit Ground vehicle speeds using the number provided by the Avionics table in Striker.

Also note that the difference beyond the basic game terms between Mongoose 1ed (Vehicles 5-6) and 2nd edition books are fairly minimal.

Last edited by infojunky; June 25th, 2018 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old June 25th, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunky View Post
Just a quick note, y'all know that ground vehicle speed is limited by both human reaction speed and road conditions. I tend to limit Ground vehicle speeds using the number provided by the Avionics table in Striker.

Also note that the difference beyond the basic game terms between Mongoose 1ed (Vehicles 5-6) and 2nd edition books are fairly minimal.

Which is why beyond a certain speed you would have to have an autodriver.

Which is fine, let's face it the players will want to be manning the guns anyway.

I looked at the MgT1E one before and have the CE PDF, I prefer this edition for my admittedly rare take of fast building Striker vehicles.
Old June 26th, 2018, 03:18 AM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
I looked at the MgT1E one before and have the CE PDF, I prefer this edition for my admittedly rare take of fast building Striker vehicles.
Remember Mongoose 1st edition has two different vehicle design systems, and the CE vehicle design system is quite different from the version that was published in the SRD. i.e. Mongoose 1st ed Vehicles 5-6, the SRD and Mongoose 2nd edition vehicles are closer to each other than they are to CE's Vehicle design and MgT1ed 1st vehicles system.

My pick is the Vehicles SRD, as you say you can't beat the speed which you can flesh-out a vehicle with it.
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Bob Weaver Citizen

Quote:
One reason I wanted that info was due to cars, grav vehicles and planes having similar speeds.

300 kph is 186 mph. There are lots of cars that can do that already. What I'd like to see is 300 mph cars (480 kph).

Just sayin'.

Best regards,
Bob W.

"As he has ever judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear, nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." Aragon son of Arathorn, Isildur's heir of Gondor.

My Traveller blog
Ancient Faith in the Far Future
Knight of the order of St Ignatius of Antioch
Old July 17th, 2018, 10:04 AM

"Production" cars can technically make 450 km/h...

For several km on a perfectly smooth racetrack, before the fuel runs out and the decks explode.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-m...-in-the-world/