Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 17th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
rgrove0172 Citizen+rgrove0172 Citizen+
Default Anti Vehicle Weapon Damage

With the Hull ratings of most military vehicles being quite high (90 etc.) the various weapons that they would typically face (large support guns, TAC missiles, AP RAM Grenades etc.) dont seem to have a chance to hurt them. Even with an AP of 10 or so these weapons, like the TAC, do only d8 or thereabouts in damage. Averaging 28 or so damage points, even if armor isnt an issue is not going to bring the vehicle down for some time.

Am I missing something?

Im trying to work up some additional RPG type weapons, shoulder launched ATGMs etc and Im thinking they should have a chance to take out an APC in one shot but if so, they would be more powerful than some of the massive siege type weapons listed in the Catalog.

Help?
Old May 17th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+

I haven't really used the vehicle combat system. It sounds like the armor and damage values make combat vehicles nigh impenetrable.

I believe you add Effect to damage rolls, so that helps a little bit.

If you're concerned, add a die of damage to anti-vehicle weapons, maybe?
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202
Old May 17th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+

I just reread the MgT2 vehicle combat rules. You're looking at the Central Supply Catalog, which I don't have ready access to right now.

I'd say that if you want to assault a vehicle with TAC missiles, here's how you do it.

1. Don't fight fair. Get into a good position to gain any kind of modifiers the referee will give you for tactics or anything else.

2. Aim for parts of the vehicle that have no armor, or weaker armor. By the rules (p134), the roof and floor use half values for armor.

3. Criticals mean everything. Any attack with Effect of 6+ engages a Critical Hits Location roll, and extra damage from the critical hit ignores Armor. Any kind of DM increases Effect (so see #1). Aim for +1 DM. Closer range also lowers difficulty of rolls, and thus increases Effect.

[I wrote this and then realized you probably don't need the 101, so I apologize in advance.]

A TL12 laser rifle does 5D+3 damage (average 20). That won't penetrate the 50-70 AP of an Armored Fighting Vehicle (AFV), even on a max roll (33 + Effect). Still, it will cut through a regular car (2 Armor) like butter.

Heavy weapons are required to take on armored vehicles. Still, rockets appear to deal 4D or 5D damage, which doesn't threaten an armored tank. The PGMP and FGMP deal 1DD and 2DD damage, respectively.

Vehicle-mounted heavy weapons include heavy SMG (4D, Auto 3), light autocannon (6D, Auto 3), cannon (1DD), laser cannon (1DD, AP 10), and fusion gun (3DD, AP 20). Note that the AP means "armor penetration" and that is the amount of vehicle armor that is ignored before determining what the armor soaks.

When damage is DD and not D, it's "destructive." You don't add Effect to that damage but you multiply the damage by 10.

So you shoot at an AFV (Hull 60; Armor 50, 60, or 70, depending on facing) with a laser cannon (1DD, AP 10). You hit with Effect 2. You roll 1D damage and multiply by 10. Say you get 30 damage and hit the rear (Armor 50). With AP 10, you are facing effective Armor 40, so 30 damage doesn't penetrate. Roll a 5 or 6, and you're dealing 50 or 60 damage against Armor 40, and 10-20 is getting through. 3-6 hits like that disables the vehicle. Or get a critical hit and start rolling on the chart. AFVs are really tough.

The G/Carrier has Armor 80-120. I have no idea how you damage this thing. Try to get underneath it in the back, where the Armor is 40, with a nuke?

Really, why are you shooting at TANKS with hand-held weapons?

A PGMP against it would deal 20-120 damage a shot, though. Pocket nukes deal 6DD (60-360).

Does Central Supply really list RPGs and TACs as non-destructive damage?

And what's this D8 business? Do you mean 8D (8-48 damage)?
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

If vehicles are going to be armored, then weapons are going to be DD. See nature of beast.
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Wasnt there the add on of better penetrators in Mgt1E CSC? Super-AP, that sort of thing.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 02:25 AM

Brandon C Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Wasnt there the add on of better penetrators in Mgt1E CSC? Super-AP, that sort of thing.
Yes. Semi-AP, AP, Super-AP, Mega-AP and Ultimate-AP. This lets you ignore a certain amount of armor based on the number of dice damage the weapon did.

8D AP ignored 8 points of armor, 8D Super-AP ignored 16 points, etc. I think Super-AP was the best for any man portable weapon, although there might be a plasma weapon a step up.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old May 31st, 2018, 01:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

shankfisher Citizen

The most disapppointing aspect of MGT is the vehicles combat. The stats are all over the place and make no sense. It's flashy, but ultimately just a mess. I can't find anything usable about it.
Co-Author: GURPS High-Tech.
Lead Playtester: GURPS Traveller Starships and GURPS WWII.
Additional Material Credit: GURPS WWII, GURPS Traveller Starports and Ground Forces.
Playtester: GURPS Mass Combat, GURPS Spaceships,GURPS Space, GURPS Vehicles.
Old June 1st, 2018, 01:01 AM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankfisher View Post
The most disapppointing aspect of MGT is the vehicles combat. The stats are all over the place and make no sense. It's flashy, but ultimately just a mess. I can't find anything usable about it.
Which vehicle combat rules are you using instead?
Old June 1st, 2018, 03:40 PM

Brandon C Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Which vehicle combat rules are you using instead?
I wouldn't be surprised if he uses the ones from GT: Ground Forces

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old June 1st, 2018, 07:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

shankfisher Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he uses the ones from GT: Ground Forces
Well, somewhat. I like the ones from Paul Elliott. His Retro 2d6 rules and Zaibatsu include some good basic rules -- including for collisions. I added a HP system (based on mass) as way to track accumulated HP damage. For combat I added facing and hit location. At some point I may publish something through CE, maybe. But as it is, I can't see how someone could think a vehicle combat system where you can destroy a car with one hit from a sword ever got published.
Co-Author: GURPS High-Tech.
Lead Playtester: GURPS Traveller Starships and GURPS WWII.
Additional Material Credit: GURPS WWII, GURPS Traveller Starports and Ground Forces.
Playtester: GURPS Mass Combat, GURPS Spaceships,GURPS Space, GURPS Vehicles.