Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 3
Rockdoc2010 Citizen
Default BITS store on Ebay doesnt exist

Just went there an hour ago and it doesent exist!

BTW is there a possibility I can get some of those snippets Heinman?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdoc2010 View Post
Just went there an hour ago and it doesent exist!
Yeah, BITS closed their eBay store a little while ago. They now sell through Ancient Tomes. They currently list Universe1 as out of stock and I've just sent them an email to correct this.

Quote:
BTW is there a possibility I can get some of those snippets Heinman?
I can't release the HE/HE2 code, that's up to Stuart.

The DB design, scripts, and sample database for Universe1 are available on StuffOnline. I don't intend to release the client source code (VB6), but if there was a specific function in the VB6 code let me know and I'll see if I can locate it for you.

Universe2 is a complete redesign (in C#.NET) and thus is still fluid.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemdian View Post
Universe is a bit like Galactic: a drill-down atlas. It is Windows-based(*) and uses a relational database for data storage. It's key features are the ability to store player notes and referee notes separately, and its ability to make rich detail maps (such as this or this). It is sold through BITS ... though any new copies are made by me and now shipped from a secret location in western Canada.

* = Works fine on WinXP and some older releases, works clunkily on Vista Ultimate, does not work on Vista Home Premium.
That Yori J-6 Map is interesting. When I bought Universe a few years back, alternative subsector sizes was one thing I asked for. Is this a feature of a version later than 1.5 or have I missed something?

I'm sending positive waves in your direction for Universe 2, and I'm sure an order will follow them when the time is right.

I hope U2 will still function on Win2k...
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

richardtalbotuk Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to richardtalbotuk Send a message via AIM to richardtalbotuk
Default Store Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemdian View Post
Yeah, BITS closed their eBay store a little while ago. They now sell through Ancient Tomes. They currently list Universe1 as out of stock and I've just sent them an email to correct this.
HI

The BITS Store has been updated and Universe now showing as in stock.

http://www.ancienttomes.org.uk/index...d&productId=11

Thanks
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 3
Rockdoc2010 Citizen

I emailed Stuart for some help with the snippets. I wouldnt be looking for the entire code. I am in VB 6 so your redesign will be beyond me.
I have a program that was constanly under construction... you start at a location at the starport and see a map and cargo. you can go from system to system as well as accross into other sectors, logging your info as you go I was ready to issue a beta but things change.
It was primarily a glorified "Tradewars" and took into account crewmen skills, ship costs, cargo space, regional modifiers etc. The Gaming was up to the ref and players.
Tedious i repeat Tedious graphics work went into this of which I still have.

I am working on a short progrm that you may have some ideas or interest in and I look forward to the ability to discuss at length If your interested let me know by PM.

Selling rocks at Glisten Spaceport!?
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:30 AM
Count

Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
That Yori J-6 Map is interesting. When I bought Universe a few years back, alternative subsector sizes was one thing I asked for. Is this a feature of a version later than 1.5 or have I missed something?
I can't remember when the J-6 map feature was added, but if you are not on 1.7 (the latest version) then there is a free patch you can install.

Quote:
I'm sending positive waves in your direction for Universe 2, and I'm sure an order will follow them when the time is right.
U2 should support alternative sector and subsector sizes. I've completely redesigned the database structure to support this (but not yet tested it). This feature is part of the reason for the internal redesign.

I've also enhanced the 'security': there is no longer just a player/referee mode but a referee and multiple 'player groups'. Player groups can be made active or inactive. Visibility of an entire sector can be turned on or off by player group. System explored status has been replaced by player group knowledge level ...

0 = completely unknown,
1 = a star system is known to exist,
2 = presence of system contents is known,
3 = mainworld UPP physical stats is known,
4 = mainworld full UPP (physical and social) is known.

... This will support running multiple groups through the same campaign universe without leaking knowledge between groups. It will also support campaigns of exploration of the unknown where the players have to 'map' as they go.

I am also hoping to have a 3D model of the star system (possibly animated).

Quote:
I hope U2 will still function on Win2k...
At present U2 is built on .NET 2.0 which should run on Win2K onwards. Some of the third party components will not work with Mono. I also intend to add web services features for updates and extra content but since no PC with a version of Windows that is outside of Microsoft's Extended Support cycle should be attached to the internet(*) those features are likely to be disabled after 13-Jul-2010 if installed on Win2K (or 18-Apr-2014 if installed on WinXP).

* = Outside the Extended Support cycle means no security patches, which means while on the internet you are vulnerable to being compromised and becoming part of a zombie bot-network ... redistributing spam and other bad things. I don't like receiving spam so I don't want vulnerable machines on the internet.
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Commander Truestar Citizen

I was just wondering if there is a decision on a direction for H+E 2?
If there is a wish list, the one thing I would wish for if I could was an "Orbital schematic"
A screen that would show the orbits of each of the planets(one for the inner worlds and one for the outer system as is done on the scale ruler currently). I would really be pleased if there was also a planet and moons scale display when one selected a particular planet.

But, to be honest, any improvement will willingly be accepted to an already great and very useful utility. I am only saddened that Stuart has lost the time he could have devoted to it.

Marc
(this message is not a reflection on the name Marc but acts as a wide acting "Over Reaction prevention disclaimer in the event you are rushing, uncertain or have not read my post and realized I am not "THE" Marc")
- I am 'A' Marc and I approved this message
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Gallery : 9
Visit maggot-iiss's Blog
maggot-iiss Citizen

Dear Stuart. I loved all your Traveller goodies and have recently been writing a 800 page (code-wise) MDI application for the Traveller universe. I would love to have a copy of your code and I will send you a copy of mine. Sadly the executable does not work now, because of the way I wrote it. I would gladly send a DVD with all my work. It also uses Cyberboard and associated programs to create a lot of small `counter` type graphic files which will be included. Screengrabs taken and included.
Sallounn Subsector
#11, 154th BRS
#104, 154th BRS
#88, 4518th LIR, MCG The Final Victory At Uakye
#279, 4518th LIR, MCG Battle of Mongo
TAS Member OF Galis (Delphi/0918) NOT FROM!
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:46 PM

Frankymole Citizen+Frankymole Citizen+
Default One minor H&E niggle...

Satellites had an error in their size generation (it didn't match the Book 6 or WorldBuilder's Handbook rule, I think a formula was reversed so instead of the satellite size being a die roll minus the size of the world it was orbiting, it was the world size less a die roll - leading to satellites being too big!

Not sure which way around it was, but Stuart noted the problem and it'd be a good idea to check it for H&E 2...
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

foleypt Citizen
Default Heaven & Earth Source Code

Sorry for digging up an old thread..but...

Is there any possibility for release for the Heaven & Earth source code? I have entered a considerable amount of information into the program and have created a sandbox area for my players using H&E generated information, but am now having some problems opening the saved information getting errors that would seem trivial to correct if the source code was accessible.

I am a developer with over 10 years VB6 experience (punishment for sins in a previous life no doubt )

I know there are plans to roll it all into Universe 2, but that doesn't seem to be coming soon and Universe 1 is unobtainable, it seems a shame that development (or at least bug fixing) does not continue for H&E